Is Samsung going to really do this... Ads?

strikeIII

Aug 24, 2010
Visit site
I'm not disputing your point. I find the irony in the author writing an article complaining about ads and published on a site riddled with them. It's kind of like clickbait.

As far as the device and ads... From what I see and according to the article, it a matter of certain Samsung apps having the ads. The only two for me that matter are the dialer app and Samsung pay. So far the way they implemented the ads doesn't bother me enough to jump ship. If it gets to that point where it's intolerable for me, there are other OEMs that will take my money.
I feel the same way. I don't even have the places tab in my dialer on my AT&T S20 Ultra. I'm not getting any intrusive ads and they only show up in Samsung apps that I only open once in a while so it doesn't bother me at all. I do remember getting some add notifications from the Samsung Members app but I turned off those notifications and problem solved.

Apple2Droid

Dec 7, 2014
Visit site
There's also a more settings under customization serviceView attachment 322156

Mike, your second image caused me to have a Eureka moment, and I might be onto something here. I don't have an issue with ads, yet, but this scares me as does something else...

Unlike most of you, I'm using my Note 10 in renegade mode, meaning that I don't sign into Samsung ANYTHING because when you do Samsung forces you to agree to their stealing your contacts. –Yes, I know, they have much of our info already, but the fact that they are specifically ASKING me to surrender this data has never set well with me. So anyway, when I click on "Customization Service," it takes me to a Samsung log-in screen. –And I'm not signed in!! This has me seriously considering forgetting the idea of a Note 20 and jumping ship for good.

I use as few Samsung apps as possible, even the stock loaded ones, both because I prefer the Google ones, but also because of crap like this

It might be worth it for some of you who are getting ads to try logging out of your Samsung account–in the many places that you're logged in, just to see if you have the ads after that. I'd be really curious to know if this gets rid of the ads...

Apple2Droid

Dec 7, 2014
Visit site
I agree launcher won't fix this, we need people that having this issue try safe mode, otherwise we not getting anywhere just talking about it. Let's try some things out.

I would like to make another suggestion as well–that people that have the ads try logging out of everything Samsung, reboot, and then seen if they have ads. Mike suggested checking ad info in Customization Service, so I clicked on it and it takes me to a Samsung log-in page–and I'm signed into nothing Samsung. So I'm wondering if this could be part of it.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I would like to make another suggestion as well–that people that have the ads try logging out of everything Samsung, reboot, and then seen if they have ads. Mike suggested checking ad info in Customization Service, so I clicked on it and it takes me to a Samsung log-in page–and I'm signed into nothing Samsung. So I'm wondering if this could be part of it.
I've used Samsung services starting with Note 2 and S3 I never had any issues and sync with Samsung account, I don't have ads on my phone

Apple2Droid

Dec 7, 2014
Visit site
THIS.

That's exactly how things begin. My brother's S20 showed some ads for him, too, and, again, it was a mess to turn it off. For me its just the beginning, but enough to halt completely my Note 20 buy and put myself in expectation position about iPhone. This year I'll either buy one or continue using my Note 10. Samsung lost maybe it's first customer because of this dumb marketing strategy. They don't need my money, I know, but, hey, it's MY money. Well done for them!
Agtrrd. This has me halting the consideration of my Note 20 buy.

Apple2Droid

Dec 7, 2014
Visit site
Just another reason of many to make my Note 9 the last Samsung I will own and move over to a Pixel.

I just want clean, unmolested Android, with fast updates.

This is the best description I've seen, and so true. This thread has me strongly thinking about waiting for the Pixel 5.

Apple2Droid

Dec 7, 2014
Visit site
I've used Samsung services starting with Note 2 and S3 I never had any issues and sync with Samsung account, I don't have ads on my phone
Fair point. But one of the variables is that these ads are in "select locations," and you might be in the right location, and I might be too.

I was making the suggestion for people having the ads problem to try, just like trying safe mode. Several people said they have it in "Places" in the dialer app. I just checked mine & i have nothing--just a get started screen.

Just a thought...

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Fair point. But one of the variables is that these ads are in "select locations," and you might be in the right location, and I might be too.

I was making the suggestion for people having the ads problem to try, just like trying safe mode. Several people said they have it in "Places" in the dialer app. I just checked mine & i have nothing--just a get started screen.

Just a thought...
Absolutely, and I dont disagree with that !
I understand I may not have a issue on mine , others can expirence it . I just pointing out with Samsung, google ,Apple have had my information for years and I haven't seen them abuse it .

vimagreg

Jun 29, 2014
Visit site
Absolutely, and I dont disagree with that !
I understand I may not have a issue on mine , others can expirence it . I just pointing out with Samsung, google ,Apple have had my information for years and I haven't seen them abuse it .
I think showing me annoying ads while I'm trying to use a device I paid a lot of money for, without my express permission, configure abuse. But that's me.

Well, this thread gone too far, I guess. Everyone's opinion is clear, new Note 20 Ultra is here, so it's time to everyone be happy, free, and do what they want with their money! Hope everyone will be satisfied with their choices!!

Cheers,

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I think showing me annoying ads while I'm trying to use a device I paid a lot of money for, without my express permission, configure abuse. But that's me.

Well, this thread gone too far, I guess. Everyone's opinion is clear, new Note 20 Ultra is here, so it's time to everyone be happy, free, and do what they want with their money! Hope everyone will be satisfied with their choices!!

Cheers,
I agree, i would be very annoyed also :(

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, I think people didn't read our posts, too. That's a Samsung policy, I received my ads from a **** called "SamsungAdsService" and it was a lot of work to find how to disable it. All I have to say is, if this news about UI 2.5 is true (and maybe it is), for me will be time to go back iPhone all the way again. I simply hate and simply don't accept receiving crap ads notifications on my own device, in any circumstances. I pay for apps I like in order to not see it, if it is forced through the system so this system is not an option for me anymore.

Hope Apple will finally put pen support to new iOS 14, so I'll be really good to go again. Shame on you, Samsung.
Why not post the "difficult procedure" to block ads?

strikeIII

Aug 24, 2010
Visit site
Wow a $1,200 USD phone and getting ads in the software? #hardpass I'll stick with a different OEM for my next smartphone.
It's not as crazy as people making it out to be. The ads are really only in the Samsung apps. Like the Galaxy Store, Samsung Pay app, Samsung Health, Samsung Members etc. All of which are not used all to often and are typically right at the top of the screen so you scroll. Right past them. Not a big deal.

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
It's not as crazy as people making it out to be. The ads are really only in the Samsung apps. Like the Galaxy Store, Samsung Pay app, Samsung Health, Samsung Members etc. All of which are not used all to often and are typically right at the top of the screen so you scroll. Right past them. Not a big deal.
Unless you use those apps. Samsung uses those apps to sell their phones that they charge a lot for

strikeIII

Aug 24, 2010
Visit site
Unless you use those apps. Samsung uses those apps to sell their phones that they charge a lot for
Even if you use them, like I used Samsung Pay a lot and the adds are not so intrusive that it gets in my way. I actually don't even really notice them cuz I either scroll past them as soon as I open the app or I just open Samsung Pay make my purchase and close it out. But I guess everyone is different. It's really not a big deal to me and there are lot more bigger issues to be more upset about.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae