Is Samsung going to really do this... Ads?

Apple2Droid

Dec 7, 2014
Visit site
These phones are crazy expensive though. I don't remember Samsung offering us a discount in lieu of adverts on out phone--like Kindle. And, unlike Kindle, we weren't given the ability to opt out, whether paid or not. My expensive phone feels like an expensive Samsung ad conduit.

DanielLoreti

Sep 20, 2018
Visit site
Even if you use them, like I used Samsung Pay a lot and the adds are not so intrusive that it gets in my way. I actually don't even really notice them cuz I either scroll past them as soon as I open the app or I just open Samsung Pay make my purchase and close it out. But I guess everyone is different. It's really not a big deal to me and there are lot more bigger issues to be more upset about.

Exactly. And apparently Apple is starting to roll it out in certain regions too.

strikeIII

Aug 24, 2010
Visit site
And there's also the issue of all of the permissions they try to force you to grant just to use apps & services. This feels like 2 very thorny branches of the same tree.
The permissions thing is an Android thing not a Samsung thing. They want to make sure you know what your granting permission to. It's more transparent than in the past.

Apple2Droid

Dec 7, 2014
Visit site
The permissions thing is an Android thing not a Samsung thing. They want to make sure you know what your granting permission to. It's more transparent than in the past.
No, what I'm referring to isn't an Android thing. I bought my Note 10 from the Microsoft Store & wanted to add the Samsung insurance after the purchase. The only way to do this was by logging into the Members apo, & the only way to do that was to agree to give access to Samsung my Contacts database, which I do not agree to. So I called, thinking I could buy the insurance over the phone. I couldn't. They want to gorce you through the app. When I asked why they were insisting I hand over my private Contact info, I was told that they must have this to "verify your identity." This is insane, and I do not have additional insurance on this phone because of this.

They do it in other apps & for other services. They're was a long thread last fall by people angry that they were forced to do this when connecting home automation devices to SmartThings. Yesterday I read a thread here about someone trying to connect to the Samsung cloud but couldn't, without agreeing to an entire list of permissions, of things he didn't want to go to the cloud anyway.

We a know that these companies have tons of our data already--so why are they very specifically, and repeated asking for this info? It sure isn't to confirm your identity.

My earlier point was just that this practice, along with forcing ads on devices that that we own, most of which were very expensive, feels very connected to me from an invasion of privacy perspective. Google provided a way to lock down permissions, but Samsung subverted it.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindagibney