07-16-2020 08:13 AM
43 12
tools
    Samsung software has gone a looong way, their samsung experience was good, but oneUI is really good don't just skimp on it for nova. It will add to the consistency if you have it anyways.
    I agree that Samsung's OS has come a long way. I definitely see the difference between my mother's Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge and my Samsung Galaxy S10.
    07-14-2020 07:56 AM
    Also, If you can't find Good lock or It's not supported in your country, you might wanna try Nice lock.
    mustang7757 and Morty2264 like this.
    07-14-2020 07:59 AM
    Also, If you can't find Good lock or It's not supported in your country, you might wanna try Nice lock.
    Yes, another option
    07-14-2020 09:50 AM
    Sounds good, thanks for all the suggestions! Got the phone late yesterday but haven't had a chance to unbox it and get started with it yet. Hopefully later today!
    gendo667 and Morty2264 like this.
    07-14-2020 09:57 AM
    Sounds good, thanks for all the suggestions! Got the phone late yesterday but haven't had a chance to unbox it and get started with it yet. Hopefully later today!
    Give us your impressions when you get a chance.
    Morty2264 likes this.
    07-14-2020 09:59 AM
    Congrats on your new phone!
    gendo667 likes this.
    07-14-2020 11:57 AM
    Give us your impressions when you get a chance.
    Yes, please do! How exciting!
    gendo667 likes this.
    07-14-2020 12:37 PM
    Sweet let us know!
    Morty2264 likes this.
    07-14-2020 08:14 PM
    Congrats on your new phone. I did a mini tutorial on using the Theme Park app within good lock on the S10 show us your Homescreen thread, as someone was asking. You may find it useful.

https://forums.androidcentral.com/sh....php?p=6816731

This post and the one under it.

https://forums.androidcentral.com/sh....php?p=6816736
    07-14-2020 08:29 PM
    Well I love the size. The Pixel 4XL is a bit to big for me to operate one handed easily, also bulky in the pocket and the S20 fits much better on both counts.

I'm missing all my saved passwords that I don't know that Google saves for apps and websites.

Overall the UI is fine. It's different but not bad. I don't understand why I need a big header over the "Settings" and "Messages" that takes up the top 40% of the screen, seems like a waste of space. On that note, it didn't take me long to put Android messages and Gboard on it.

It's fast and fluid, battery life is fine so far but I haven't been on it a ton. There's a lot of apps but it's not terrible. Honestly my biggest issue ATM is what launcher to use. The stock one is ok but I'm not crazy about the icons and I didn't see anything I like in the theme store. So I put Nova on it and I'm using the weird gestures where you swipe up from where the buttons normally are. However I'm thinking about going back to the buttons because there's not a big difference and I have always thought Samsung has had the order of the buttons in the right place anyway because I use the back button far more than I use the recents/multitasking button. So it appears for me the only reason to use the stock launcher is for Google's gestures much like with the Pixel launcher.
    07-15-2020 05:14 PM
    Well I love the size. The Pixel 4XL is a bit to big for me to operate one handed easily, also bulky in the pocket and the S20 fits much better on both counts.

I'm missing all my saved passwords that I don't know that Google saves for apps and websites.

Overall the UI is fine. It's different but not bad. I don't understand why I need a big header over the "Settings" and "Messages" that takes up the top 40% of the screen, seems like a waste of space. On that note, it didn't take me long to put Android messages and Gboard on it.

It's fast and fluid, battery life is fine so far but I haven't been on it a ton. There's a lot of apps but it's not terrible. Honestly my biggest issue ATM is what launcher to use. The stock one is ok but I'm not crazy about the icons and I didn't see anything I like in the theme store. So I put Nova on it and I'm using the weird gestures where you swipe up from where the buttons normally are. However I'm thinking about going back to the buttons because there's not a big difference and I have always thought Samsung has had the order of the buttons in the right place anyway because I use the back button far more than I use the recents/multitasking button. So it appears for me the only reason to use the stock launcher is for Google's gestures much like with the Pixel launcher.
    I've got my One UI setup. Apart from Google Messages/Gboard it's stock Samsung. Samsung widgets for the home screen. Then I've got my Nova setup. It basically mimics the Pixel launcher. I've been using it for years now. I switch at my leisure. Feels like a different phone, keeping things fresh.

Side note, Action Launcher is my old Nexus setup.
    mustang7757 likes this.
    07-15-2020 05:43 PM
    I've got my One UI setup. Apart from Google Messages/Gboard it's stock Samsung. Samsung widgets for the home screen. Then I've got my Nova setup. It basically mimics the Pixel launcher. I've been using it for years now. I switch at my leisure. Feels like a different phone, keeping things fresh.

Side note, Action Launcher is my old Nexus setup.
    Nice. One thing I love about action launcher is the automatic hiding of apps that are on the home screen. Nova just feels a little quicker and fluid though.

Are you using gestures or buttons?
    gendo667 likes this.
    07-15-2020 06:00 PM
    Nice. One thing I love about action launcher is the automatic hiding of apps that are on the home screen. Nova just feels a little quicker and fluid though.

Are you using gestures or buttons?
    Gestures on One UI. Buttons on Nova.
    Attached Thumbnails S20 is on its way!  What do I need to know?-screenshot_20200715-180302_one-ui-home.jpg   S20 is on its way!  What do I need to know?-screenshot_20200715-180607_nova-launcher.jpg  
    07-15-2020 06:09 PM
    Gestures on One UI. Buttons on Nova.
    Interesting, I was trying to stick to one way of navigation, never considered using both. Thanks!
    07-15-2020 06:21 PM
    Interesting, I was trying to stick to one way of navigation, never considered using both. Thanks!
    Gestures are coming to third party launchers with One UI 2.5 this fall. I'll go gestures on Nova at that point.
    07-15-2020 06:24 PM
    You can try substratum for themes and stuff, I reckon it doesn't need root to function. I like the big titles, they were weird maybe I just got used to them but it is really convenient swiping down for the 3 dots to come down to you lol.

Also, I think google does save your passwords on the account not the device if I am not wrong (settings>google>autofill)
    07-16-2020 03:33 AM

If you use chrome browser your passwords should populate. Also go to settings, search for autofill and select Google.
    07-16-2020 04:23 AM

I'm so glad that you are loving it! That's great that the size is more comfortable than the 4 XL. Being fluid and snappy is great, too!

I too use Samsung's buttons, I also like the order of them and like you, use the "Back" button far more than the others. I've tried Gestures and they worked okay, but I found that getting some apps to work around it was difficult, like getting the picture/video-in-display to function properly.

Let us know how the battery performs over time! Hope you enjoy it!

Also, I think the Theme Store gets new updates and additions frequently, so check back! You may find something else that you like!
    07-16-2020 08:13 AM
43 12