S20 is on its way! What do I need to know?

Theot

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
Took advantage of the trade in deals on Samsung's website and traded my pixel 3 for the $400 trade credit. Still got my pixel 4XL but I'm excited to try the S20. Haven't had a Samsung device since the S7 so this should be interesting.

I've been on pixels the last few years, while I like them I always feel like they are lacking a bit. I left because of all the stuff Samsung puts on their phones, however I also think a lot of that was carrier software and now I only buy unlocked so I'm hoping it's a better experience. I expect to not love the launcher but IDK?

So any tips, suggestions?

Lepa79

Apr 5, 2015
Visit site
Samsung Good lock

Nova
I figured Nova would be on it pretty quick.

What is good lock?
No, keep Samsung launcher. Again, Nova messes up the experience on Android 10 just like it did on your pixel 4 XL. Stick with stock launcher for a bit and see how you like it. Good Lock is a MUST. had it on my Note 10+ and loved it. I'll stick with my pixel 4 XL only because of the camera. Let me know how you like the S20. It and pixel 4 XL were top of my list. The S20 size was very appealing. 6.2 inches in that nice profile is nuts. Great looking phone for sure and yes, Samsung came a long way since you left.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Took advantage of the trade in deals on Samsung's website and traded my pixel 3 for the $400 trade credit. Still got my pixel 4XL but I'm excited to try the S20. Haven't had a Samsung device since the S7 so this should be interesting.

I've been on pixels the last few years, while I like them I always feel like they are lacking a bit. I left because of all the stuff Samsung puts on their phones, however I also think a lot of that was carrier software and now I only buy unlocked so I'm hoping it's a better experience. I expect to not love the launcher but IDK?

So any tips, suggestions?
Stock Samsung for me.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
No, keep Samsung launcher. Again, Nova messes up the experience on Android 10 just like it did on your pixel 4 XL. Stick with stock launcher for a bit and see how you like it. Good Lock is a MUST. had it on my Note 10+ and loved it. I'll stick with my pixel 4 XL only because of the camera. Let me know how you like the S20. It and pixel 4 XL were top of my list. The S20 size was very appealing. 6.2 inches in that nice profile is nuts. Great looking phone for sure and yes, Samsung came a long way since you left.
True with the google gestures

Theot

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site

So I've learned to live with Nova on my 4XL, the only issue I really have is multitasking but I don't use that much anyway and I setup a gesture for it to use instead. If the back gesture wasn't so convenient I'd totally use the three button setup and not even worry about it.

I like my 4XL, I just got a new battery on warranty last week (two months old and the battery dies) but it's big for the screen size, and idk, I still love Samsung hardware and have been resisting temptation the last couple years to get one and for that price with the trade in I just had to do it.

I_didnt_do_it

Apr 26, 2017
Visit site
Keep the stock One UI launcher if you plan to use gesture controls to their full capabilities, Nova launcher if you find you don't like the stock launcher. Download icon packs if you don't like the stock icons. Uninstall any preloaded third party apps such as games, etc-- this is an area samsung has been much better at of late, used to you couldn't Uninstall any pre-installed 3rd party apps unless you rooted the device. Now however, you can uninstall those annoying games and useless apps.

Enable dark mode to help with battery life, stay on 60hz screen refresh rate to save on battery life, 120hz absolutely throttles the battery. 4000 mAh is underpowered for this phone IMO. Set screen brightness between 50-60% to save on battery and delay onset of screen burn-in.

Avoid the Facebook and Facebook messenger apps as both are still to this day notorious resource hogs and battery sappers.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Yay! Congratulations on your ordering choice, and enjoy your S20! I too wasn't sure I'd like the OS/skin on my S10 when I got it, but I was pleasantly surprised and now I love it! My advice would be to give it a chance and see what you think!

Let us know how you are liking it when you get it!