US Unlocked S20 Ultra extremely slow to Send Email on AT&T LTE.

DUTCH VanAtlanta

Nov 22, 2019
Visit site
I've noticed that my US unlocked S20 Ultra 512 GB is extremely slow to send emails on ATT LTE when not on WiFi. In fact it frequently sends slow enough to time out on a simple text email, and place it in the Outbox until I am back on WiFi. I've noticed this especially when out and about, even when the ATT LTE signal is strong.

I just did a comparative test at home where i have both good WiFi and a strong ATT LTE signal. I sent an email containing a 2 MB photo file, which is not all that large.

On WiFi it took 11 seconds to send. On LTE it took 29 seconds to send.

Are these numbers normal? Thoughts, suggestions? TIA!

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
re: US Unlocked S20 Ultra extremely slow to Send Email on AT&T LTE.

You can try resetting network in settings >general management >reset>reset network

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
re: US Unlocked S20 Ultra extremely slow to Send Email on AT&T LTE.

Also, try giving AT&T support a call, in case there are any known network issues in your area.

DUTCH VanAtlanta

Nov 22, 2019
Visit site
I don't think it's ATT. I think it's Comcast with POP3 access.

I just tried the same tests using Gmail with IMAP access, and it was much faster compared to POP3 Comcast.

DUTCH VanAtlanta

Nov 22, 2019
Visit site
It's Comcast email. Even my Windows desktop email client is taking it's time connecting and sending on the Comcast domain, and that's on a hardwired system.

Laura Knotek

Moderator Captain
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
Re: US Unlocked S20 Ultra extremely slow to Send Email on AT&T LTE.

It's Comcast email. Even my Windows desktop email client is taking it's time connecting and sending on the Comcast domain, and that's on a hardwired system.
How about using IMAP for Comcast email?

Last edited:

DUTCH VanAtlanta

Nov 22, 2019
Visit site
Re: US Unlocked S20 Ultra extremely slow to Send Email on AT&T LTE.

You're welcome. I hope that helps.

IMAP seems to connect faster than POP3 to Comcast email, BUT!! When I delete an email on my Galaxy IMAP connection, it also deletes it on the Comcast email server; and that's not acceptable to me. I want to be able to go back later and access those emails on my desktop. Not possible with IMAP on the Galaxy.

I do appreciate your gesture. Thanks again.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
With IMAP, though, there's no need to delete the email on your phone if you want to keep it on the server -- the email itself is taking up negligible storage space on the phone with IMAP, since it's syncing, not downloading emails en masse to the phone. It's essentially the same as accessing your email on a webmail interface.

DUTCH VanAtlanta

Nov 22, 2019
Visit site
With IMAP, though, there's no need to delete the email on your phone if you want to keep it on the server -- the email itself is taking up negligible storage space on the phone with IMAP, since it's syncing, not downloading emails en masse to the phone. It's essentially the same as accessing your email on a webmail interface.

Thanks, but I do not want to have to sort through a whole bunch of email headers left on the phone after I've read them. I'll just live with the slower but less cluttered POP3 on Comcast.

PS - This never happened with POP3 on my HTC 10. Maybe Comcast is slowing down with the Covid rush.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Oh I see. I get around that by filing away emails I want to keep in custom folders, so that my main inbox remains fairly uncluttered. Hopefully things get a little better with the POP3 server!