Security policy is restricting the use of Smart Switch?

Jaime Stuardo

Jul 28, 2020
Visit site
Hello, I have just purchased a new Samsung S20 phone. When I tried to transfer applications from my old phone to this one, Smart Switch cannot be executed because of this error:

"Security Policy restrict the use of Smart Switch."

What can I do?

Thanks
Jaime

Jaime Stuardo

Jul 28, 2020
Visit site
Where do you see this ? Smart switch on the phone or computer?

Other note. I have realized that problem is not only with this app. I have realized that other features have this problem also. For example, when I go to the settings, and then "Backup and Restore" module. Both options appear disabled with the same message.

Jaime Stuardo

Jul 28, 2020
Visit site
Is this new device set up for work or a work phone?

That's the point. When I first set up the phone, I entered by e-mail address that I use in my Google Business account. I have used that account for years. The result to that, was that all my contacts were correctly imported to this new phone. This means the account was correctly linked.

On the other hand, before I finished with the set up, phone wizard asked me to choose if this phone is for work or for personal use. If I choose for personal use, phone required me to enter a personal e-mail address. So, in order to not entering other e-mail address, I chose work use.

After I finished the wizard, this problem started happening.

Regards,
Jaime

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
That's the point. When I first set up the phone, I entered by e-mail address that I use in my Google Business account. I have used that account for years. The result to that, was that all my contacts were correctly imported to this new phone. This means the account was correctly linked.

On the other hand, before I finished with the set up, phone wizard asked me to choose if this phone is for work or for personal use. If I choose for personal use, phone required me to enter a personal e-mail address. So, in order to not entering other e-mail address, I chose work use.

After I finished the wizard, this problem started happening.

Regards,
Jaime
I see , can you you enter your personal email?

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
That is only a patch, not a real solution. I am sure it will work that way but I am looking for a solution, not only to do an action to keep my phone happy, sorry.

Regards,
Jaime
Then through your work profile , you'll have to find a way to grant permission

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
From my understanding, the work profile like you are talking about is part of a BYOD initiative some companies use. You first would've had to install an MDM (Mobile Device Management) app to allow the work profile creation. This doesn't just happen out of the blue. Here's Google's instructions on turning the work profile off and on.

https://support.google.com/work/android/answer/7029561?hl=en

Keep in mind having this turned off will block access to work related info.

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
You first would've had to install an MDM (Mobile Device Management) app to allow the work profile creation.

Not always. If the company is using G-Suite they can force the work profile creation simply by logging in to the work account as an account in device settings. There may be something to accept or agree to, but there's no additional app needed.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Not always. If the company is using G-Suite they can force the work profile creation simply by logging in to the work account as an account in device settings. There may be something to accept or agree to, but there's no additional app needed.
But that is only on a work issued phone, is it not? I've seen this question several times lately from people that have purchased new phones (not work issued or used), so I tried looking into it. Everything I could find on the topic requires the owner user to install an MDM app first to allow the work profile creation when that email is used.

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
But that is only on a work issued phone, is it not?
The company that signs my checks (I work for a company that contracts out to other companies, I sit at a customer site and have email for that company also) has a BYOD program and is enforcing work profiles on new Android device enrollments through the G-Suite login, no mention of an MDM app.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
The company that signs my checks (I work for a company that contracts out to other companies, I sit at a customer site and have email for that company also) has a BYOD program and is enforcing work profiles on new Android device enrollments through the G-Suite login, no mention of an MDM app.
How does it seperate work from personal content ?

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site

It looks like G-suite is operating in place of the MDM. Not sure if I'd like a company to automatically restrict my phone like that.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fancyfranci