Differences between factory unlocked and US carrier S20 FE 5Gs?

HoosierDaddy

Trusted Member
Sep 23, 2014
Visit site
Is the hardware identical? I've always bought factory unlocked phones and one reason I started was negatives with carrier versions but don't know if that's still a thing or applies to this model.

I don't want a carrier version if it means updates may be delayed or denied by the carrier or if it has fewer bands, or less memory, etc..

And if the hardware is identical, can I flash the factory version after leaving the carrier or when selling it later (carrier unlocked, of course)?

Kizzy Catwoman

Ambassador
Feb 2, 2017
Visit site
I see a lot of people on these forums complaining about carrier versions not getting updates quickly. Some features, like WiFi calling seem to be lacking for carriers like ATT but I am not in the USA, so I can't say for certain. If you are happy with unlocked then I say stick with it. But that is only my opinion.

sulla1965

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
But Verizon like ATT are very fussy about what features will and won't work. The unlocked a71 won't get wifi calling on att and my unlocked lg g7 doesn't get wifi calling on Verizon.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Hardware both identical, carrier version will have things like RCS inthe message app ,carrier ageration , unlocked won't have carrier splash screen or bloat ,cleaner . Updates lately unlocked been getting them first but at times carrier do get them first , wasn't like that before.

HoosierDaddy

Trusted Member
Sep 23, 2014
Visit site
Thanks everyone!

I'm concerned mostly with updates not originating with the carrier like Android, security, etc.

I checked with Samsung and they confirmed the hardware is identical.

Does that mean I could flash it to the Samsung unlocked software/firmware down the road (after carrier unlocking)?

I normally wouldn't consider a carrier branded model except T-Mobile is offering a free S20 FE 5G with a new line for 24 months and my sister is looking to get added on my veteran family plan. She doesn't want a new phone so its tempting to go with a "free" T-Mobile phone over a $599 preorder I have in for an unlocked one.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Thanks everyone!

I'm concerned mostly with updates not originating with the carrier like Android, security, etc.

Does that mean I could flash it to the Samsung unlocked software/firmware down the road (after carrier unlocking)?
Yes you can , nice stang !

KPMcClave

May 16, 2013
Visit site

This doesn't sound right to me. If they're identical, why is the VZW $50 more (at full price) whether you get it via VZW or Samsung?

The S20 5G UW, Verizon's variant of the S20, is also more than the unlocked and other carrier versions of the S20. In that case, it was released after the other S20s, as I recall because they had to have it made separately with an altered chip or something. It was for the same reason the S20 FE is different on VZW, their UW 5G.

So, I figured the situation is the same with the VZW S20 FE. Very similar, almost identical, but different in terms of hardware.

That said, because their 5G isn't very useful most places anyway, the unlocked version would be fine in use. I would be leery about flashing the unlocked OS on the VZW variant, or vice versa, though.

Can anyone who's followed this more closely confirm or correct me?

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
This doesn't sound right to me. If they're identical, why is the VZW $50 more (at full price) whether you get it via VZW or Samsung?

The S20 5G UW, Verizon's variant of the S20, is also more than the unlocked and other carrier versions of the S20. In that case, it was released after the other S20s, as I recall because they had to have it made separately with an altered chip or something. It was for the same reason the S20 FE is different on VZW, their UW 5G.

So, I figured the situation is the same with the VZW S20 FE. Very similar, almost identical, but different in terms of hardware.

That said, because their 5G isn't very useful most places anyway, the unlocked version would be fine in use. I would be leery about flashing the unlocked OS on the VZW variant, or vice versa, though.

Can anyone who's followed this more closely confirm or correct me?
Verizon model probably 50.00 more for activation, and flashing to unlocked version would be no issue at all or if you bought a unlocked model and flashed to carrier version .

KPMcClave

May 16, 2013
Visit site
Verizon model probably 50.00 more for activation, and flashing to unlocked version would be no issue at all or if you bought a unlocked model and flashed to carrier version .

The Note 20 and Note20 Ultra, S20 Plus, and S20 Ultra are all the same price in the Verizon variant as in the unlocked and other carrier variants. I was mistaken that the VZW S20 was also more expensive. It was and is the same price as other S20s, but at the sacrifice of some features the others have (less RAM, no SD card slot). Why no "activation" markup on any of those?

Otherwise, proceed at your own risk, I guess.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
The Note 20 and Note20 Ultra, S20 Plus, and S20 Ultra are all the same price in the Verizon variant as in the unlocked and other carrier variants. Why no "activation" markup on those?

Otherwise, proceed at your own risk, I guess.
I just checked Samsung shop app , they all the same price , where do you see the 50.00 extra ?Screenshot_20200929-100207_Shop%20Samsung.jpeg

david61983

Feb 12, 2015
Visit site
If you look at the fine print it says the unlocked S20, S20+, and S20 Ultra won't get 5G on Verizon unless you get the Verizon version. It doesn't say that about the FE. Furthermore, I ordered the red unlocked FE and it clearly says UW in the title in my invoice.

KPMcClave

May 16, 2013
Visit site
If you look at the fine print it says the unlocked S20, S20+, and S20 Ultra won't get 5G on Verizon unless you get the Verizon version. It doesn't say that about the FE. Furthermore, I ordered the red unlocked FE and it clearly says UW in the title in my invoice.

If you're comfortable flashing the Verizon software on it, have at it.

My only point here is that we don't know for sure if the models are in fact exactly the same hardware. I suspect they're not, for the reasons I already mentioned, including the extra $50 on the full price of the Verizon variant.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
What fine print are you referring to? There are members here who have the S20+ and S20 Ultra unlocked on Verizon and have access to 5G

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
All 3 models unlocked or carrier support 5g , Verizon didn't add 5g until around June 2019 through software update.

david61983

Feb 12, 2015
Visit site
"Verizon customers only: The Unlocked Galaxy S20 5G is not compatible with Verizon 5G Ultra Wideband network but will work with Verizon’s 4G LTE service. Please consider the Verizon 5G-ready Galaxy S20 5G UW, Galaxy S20+ 5G or Galaxy S20 Ultra 5G.Show Less- Disclaimer

UVerizon 5G Ultra Wideband available only in parts of select cities. $999.99 device payment purchase and activation of new line or upgrade req'd. Less $150 promo credit applied over 24 mosShow More"

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nikoczzzz