S20 FE Battery

THEPRFCT10

Jul 1, 2011
Visit site
Now that we've had a few days, was just curious what you all think of the battery life on the FE model -- so far I'm pretty impressed & I would love to take full advantage of the battery settings but not entirely sure how to do that; for example I wish I had better knowledge on what apps are safe to put to sleep versus deep sleep versus selecting the option to be optimized -- any advice greatly appreciated.

uw

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
I'm wondering the same with other users. I got my FE on Sunday. The battery life seems good, but the first 5% usage is little weird. Based on the battery info for the last 7 days, I've been averaging about 5 hours SOT with about 40% left by the time it gets plugged in. I usually unplug around 7am and plug it back around 11:30pm. So I guess that's good. The thing that worries me is the first 5%. It seems like the battery goes from 100% to 95% pretty quick (within first half hour or so) and then it settles for rest of the day.

Probably something I shouldn't worry about. As of this writing, the phone was unplugged at 7:30am, had 2 hours of SOT with 71% remaining. It's 4:30pm now.

THEPRFCT10

Jul 1, 2011
Visit site
I'm wondering the same with other users. I got my FE on Sunday. The battery life seems good, but the first 5% usage is little weird. Based on the battery info for the last 7 days, I've been averaging about 5 hours SOT with about 40% left by the time it gets plugged in. I usually unplug around 7am and plug it back around 11:30pm. So I guess that's good. The thing that worries me is the first 5%. It seems like the battery goes from 100% to 95% pretty quick (within first half hour or so) and then it settles for rest of the day.

Probably something I shouldn't worry about. As of this writing, the phone was unplugged at 7:30am, had 2 hours of SOT with 71% remaining. It's 4:30pm now.
Impressive.

BotanicalStig

Feb 20, 2013
Visit site
With such a huge battery I thought it would be better. The first few days are always rough though. I unplugged about 5 hours ago and I'm down to 62%.

3 hours SOT- split between chrome, YouTube, and among us almost evenly.

Not too bad I guess. I have chargers all over the place so it really doesn't matter. Every time I put it down I have a wireless charger nearby...

SteveyAsp

Jul 16, 2011
Visit site

From what I understand the battery meter on phone's isn't a science and is more of a guess by the system which is why it may appear to go down at different speeds

Jeremy8000

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
With such a huge battery I thought it would be better. The first few days are always rough though. I unplugged about 5 hours ago and I'm down to 62%.

3 hours SOT- split between chrome, YouTube, and among us almost evenly.

Not too bad I guess. I have chargers all over the place so it really doesn't matter. Every time I put it down I have a wireless charger nearby...

Give it time, and it will give you a more accurate assessment. Plenty of range in battery time people will experience based on usage. If you keep it on 120Hz, high brightness, do a lot of gaming, and don't have a strong connection, expect it to be on the very short side.

I run 120Hz, adaptive brightness, typical mixed usage with a slight weight towards gaming, but am usually in excellent coverage connection, and have been getting about 5-6 hours before I hit 30%.

uw

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
I think I can confidently say S20 FE's battery life is excellent. I've pretty much settled into my routine with this phone and this is what I've gotten the past week.
- 7am to 11pm. 5 hours of SOT with 45% left in battery
- Don't play games, but mostly Youtube, social media, texting, email, music streaming, web browsing and google news feed. Youtube, web browsing and social media probably gets 70% of usage.

So I would say, the battery life on this phone is great. Probably one of the best I ever had.

THEPRFCT10

Jul 1, 2011
Visit site
I think I can confidently say S20 FE's battery life is excellent. I've pretty much settled into my routine with this phone and this is what I've gotten the past week.
- 7am to 11pm. 5 hours of SOT with 45% left in battery
- Don't play games, but mostly Youtube, social media, texting, email, music streaming, web browsing and google news feed. Youtube, web browsing and social media probably gets 70% of usage.

So I would say, the battery life on this phone is great. Probably one of the best I ever had.
My only question is do you charge to 100% ??

Stanley Kubrick

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
Why does Samsung provide a battery limiter in their tablets but not on their phones? I can set the charging to stop at 85% on my Tab S7 but not on my S20 FE? WHY? Does anyone have an answer or can point me to a good reason for this?

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Why does Samsung provide a battery limiter in their tablets but not on their phones? I can set the charging to stop at 85% on my Tab S7 but not on my S20 FE? WHY? Does anyone have an answer or can point me to a good reason for this?
Might be a carrier thing , but same on my S9,s10+,Note 20U nothing using Att and T-Mobile

Stanley Kubrick

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
No, I highly doubt that it's a carrier thing. This setting was on my Tab S3 and it's also on the Tab S7. It is a Samsung thing. Maybe they simply want the battery to die so that you have to buy a new phone sooner? My phone is not a carrier purchase but was bought directly from Samsung unlocked.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
No, I highly doubt that it's a carrier thing. This setting was on my Tab S3 and it's also on the Tab S7. It is a Samsung thing. Maybe they simply want the battery to die so that you have to buy a new phone sooner? My phone is not a carrier purchase but was bought directly from Samsung unlocked.
Same , mine are unlocked except the s10+
I've seen people say and I believe it was sprint or verizon don't recall that in device care you can set those under battery . But even unlocked version the sim card dictates what gets provision for that device.

Stanley Kubrick

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
I get what you're saying but why would the carrier care how you charge your battery? The phone is unlocked...I did not buy it through AT&T. Is this AT&T's way of punishing someone? No, battery charging doesn't seem to anything a carrier is concerned with, but the OEM would/could/should be.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I get what you're saying but why would the carrier care how you charge your battery? The phone is unlocked...I did not buy it through AT&T. Is this AT&T's way of punishing someone? No, battery charging doesn't seem to anything a carrier is concerned with, but the OEM would/could/should be.
Carriers have their hands in it one way or another

Stanley Kubrick

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
Well, if the setting in question is available on someone's FE...I hope they will come forward to say they have it. And then we can compare why their's does and mine doesn't. I doubt that will happen.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
I don't know of any smart phone that has a battery limiter but I believe you can install an app for that. I'm not saying there isn't a device out there. Just don't recall seeing that feature.

Stanley Kubrick

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
I guess my question really is: Why? My Tab S7 cost me about the same as this FE...it is much bigger, with a much bigger battery, and it has this great battery longevity feature...but my much smaller FE, with a much smaller battery doesn't? I see a conspiracy here to cause the phone(s) to wear out more quickly so that we have to buy new ones sooner. It is a simple piece of software that Samsung could easily incorporate into their phones. Both the Tab and the FE have basically the same CPU, and the same software level, and the same charger. There's no reason for this...technically speaking.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
I guess my question really is: Why? My Tab S7 cost me about the same as this FE...it is much bigger, with a much bigger battery, and it has this great battery longevity feature...but my much smaller FE, with a much smaller battery doesn't? I see a conspiracy here to cause the phone(s) to wear out more quickly so that we have to buy new ones sooner. It is a simple piece of software that Samsung could easily incorporate into their phones. Both the Tab and the FE have basically the same CPU, and the same software level, and the same charger. There's no reason for this...technically speaking.
I'm not a big subscriber to the 85% rule, but I get what you're saying about the trying to kill the device. Then I have ask the opposite question. Why not kill the tablets sooner also?

Stanley Kubrick

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
Good question...I would venture a guess that the Tablets do not sell nearly as well as their phones do! Phones are considered more of a necessity whereas tablets are not! People are accustomed (wrongly so) that they will need to replace their phones every two years or so...a large screen tablet is viewed more like a laptop and is expected to last as long as a laptop...several years...maybe 5 or more! Nobody expects to keep their phone for 5 years...at least nobody I know. People are also accustomed to having their cell phone batteries die after 2 or 3 years, they're not as accustomed to this happening on their "expensive" tablets...even though their tablet may have cost them less than their phone depending on the phone they have. Another reason...since they do not sell nearly as many tablets, and their only real competition in the tablet market is Apple...the last thing they need is any negative news that their tablets batteries die a premature death. Cell phone batteries dying is an accepted fact...even though is should not be.

HoosierDaddy

Trusted Member
Sep 23, 2014
Visit site
Amazon needs to let the Alexa app monitor battery level and turn off the smart outlet the charger is plugged into if charge level is above x. Long live Rube!