S20 FE green cast to screen?

dgcamero

Sep 17, 2010
Visit site
Just wondering if anyone else has this issue with their S20 FE? The smaller phone is my S10e, and both devices are set for Natural color mode and the same manual brightness.298956.jpg

Just trying to decide whether to return it or exchange it.

Stanley Kubrick

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
Does it interfere with the functioning of the phone? Since there are a number of manual settings available to make adjustments to the screen...can you not make an adjustment that suits your needs? Think of it this way: Why do you suppose they make such adjustments available in the first place? Because, every screen is going to be different from one to the other. Now if there were no way to make an adjustment then people might have a legitimate complaint if their screen was green. So it's up to you. But I would try to make the adjustments necessary to satisfy what it is you're trying to accomplish. YMMV

BotanicalStig

Feb 20, 2013
Visit site
.can you not make an adjustment that suits your needs? V

No you can not. Have you ever tried adjusting screen settings? Give it a try. You will understand.

They all have the green glow you are showing. Just the way the screen is. Some people will say theirs doesn't look like that, but they are either lying or have bad eyes.

I've gotten used to it. I see this come up on most phones nowadays so I think we just need to get used to it.

dgcamero

Sep 17, 2010
Visit site
Does it interfere with the functioning of the phone? Since there are a number of manual settings available to make adjustments to the screen...can you not make an adjustment that suits your needs? Think of it this way: Why do you suppose they make such adjustments available in the first place? Because, every screen is going to be different from one to the other. Now if there were no way to make an adjustment then people might have a legitimate complaint if their screen was green. So it's up to you. But I would try to make the adjustments necessary to satisfy what it is you're trying to accomplish. YMMV

You can't adjust it to be sufficiently not green (it gets about 15% less bad at maximum ungreen). If they're all green, then I will have to return it.

The S10e has about as perfectly color calibrated screen as is possible, so it is not something that I would be able to tolerate after being spoiled by its screen.

BotanicalStig

Feb 20, 2013
Visit site
^ my wife and I both have a green bias on our FEs. I don't think it's a hardware defect.

I felt the same about my s8. It seemed better to me, but I don't know. Reviewers talk about how great this screen is so we must be wrong :)

Like I said, I think I'm used to it. Give it time. The phone displays Greys with a green hue, I don't feel like it's the end of the world. Just different.

dgcamero

Sep 17, 2010
Visit site
^ my wife and I both have a green bias on our FEs. I don't think it's a hardware defect.

I felt the same about my s8. It seemed better to me, but I don't know. Reviewers talk about how great this screen is so we must be wrong :)

Like I said, I think I'm used to it. Give it time. The phone displays Greys with a green hue, I don't feel like it's the end of the world. Just different.

The problem is that I take a lot of photos with my phone for work, and I can't properly adjust the photos on the fly without a color calibrated screen.

BotanicalStig

Feb 20, 2013
Visit site
I mostly notice with the Greys in the UI (dark mode in particular). Colors seem off in YouTube as well, but if I take a photo of something Grey or red... The true color shows fine. I think pictures in general show up OK.

Can you test a photo from your phone, and view it side by side on your phone & computer monitor? I'd be curious of the results. If it gets in the way of editing photos for your job, by all means, dump the thing. I'm surprised you upgraded from an s10 to this anyway, TBH.

dgcamero

Sep 17, 2010
Visit site
I don't have a color calibrated monitor for comparison, but I will devise a comparison test and report back later.

I traded laterally up from the S10e because Samsung gave me $400 trade in for my 19 month old phone (more than half what I paid for it), and also $70 promotional credit which included a Galaxy Fit2 watch (my Mom wants one) and a case (not a big deal, but something). I also like the plastic back, larger battery, and zoom lens on the S20 FE.

My S10e's battery is up to about 850 cycles and down to about 88% capacity...so I will need to get a new battery soon...and then I am sure something will be broken when the phone is taken apart. So I decided to try the new one.

dgcamero

Sep 17, 2010
Visit site
I mostly notice with the Greys in the UI (dark mode in particular). Colors seem off in YouTube as well, but if I take a photo of something Grey or red... The true color shows fine. I think pictures in general show up OK.

Can you test a photo from your phone, and view it side by side on your phone & computer monitor? I'd be curious of the results. If it gets in the way of editing photos for your job, by all means, dump the thing. I'm surprised you upgraded from an s10 to this anyway, TBH.

You're correct. It's perfect on Photos. I hope they correct it on the rest of the UI asap because I really think the screen looks awful as it is.

BotanicalStig

Feb 20, 2013
Visit site
Glad I'm not crazy! I think this is just how they've decided to calibrate the UI elements... I agree the old way still looks better to my eyes.

My s8 looks the same as your s10. I also still see strange color issues in YouTube. I really hope they fix that.

dgcamero

Sep 17, 2010
Visit site
Glad I'm not crazy! I think this is just how they've decided to calibrate the UI elements... I agree the old way still looks better to my eyes.

My s8 looks the same as your s10. I also still see strange color issues in YouTube. I really hope they fix that.

Maybe it's kind of mellowed out with today's software update. I can't know for sure because my S10e has gone off and been accepted into the land of refurbished devices. AKA Texas.

I hope the person who ends up with that phone appreciates the flawless screen that I never let get burned in over 20 months of heavy use, especially with navigation!

BotanicalStig

Feb 20, 2013
Visit site
^Mine looks the same as day 1. It really doesn't bother me unless I really think about it. I mostly only see the green/turquoise color over grey. It's almost like Greys in the UI are illuminated more than they need to be.

Otherwise, colors still aren't as punchy. But I really feel like this is in the sake of accuracy. It probably is better than the old way. Just a very stark difference.

Blacksheep34

Jan 25, 2021
Visit site