The "Video On" Battery Leak

Zolee10

Oct 15, 2020
Visit site
His twiter app works fine.

But, when some app starts behaving like this nothing but restart helps. Tried regular force close, then clearing cache & data. Then tried disabling from settings (put in deep sleep stock battery manager), hibernate by Greenify and finaly not even dissabling with CCSWE helps!!!
It just continues sucking battery via some stuck video process.

KPMcClave

May 16, 2013
Visit site
Force stop Twitter , then check next charge cycle of its still high

Twitter isn't misbehaving. It has in the past.

It isn't only one app, nor is it consistently any app. Instagram, Twitter and Ring (and maybe others) have shown this Video On battery drain sometimes. There is no consistency to the leak.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Twitter isn't misbehaving. It has in the past.

It isn't only one app, nor is it consistently any app. Instagram, Twitter and Ring (and maybe others) have shown this Video On battery drain sometimes. There is no consistency to the leak.
Gotcha , you checked device care for any app crash reports?

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I did that yesterday. I don't think I've had the Video On drain since. I had Ring draining it earlier in the day yesterday.

So, we'll see if it comes back with an app.

Zolee10?
I have my camera app drain also with constant push notifications but I still manage great battery life .

Zolee10

Oct 15, 2020
Visit site
I did that yesterday. I don't think I've had the Video On drain since. I had Ring draining it earlier in the day yesterday.

So, we'll see if it comes back with an app.

Zolee10?
What is recivery cache and how to clean it?
Btw I dissabled digital wellbeing because I read somewere it can cause battery drain. Didnt use it anyway.

Zolee10

Oct 15, 2020
Visit site
Re: The "Video On" Battery Leak

Yea, I remembered what it is and did it. I totaly forgot about it. Last time I rooted my phone and messed with custom roms and recoveries was S5 :)

Thabks for the info though.
I cleared up pcache partition and did app recovery command.
Hopefully this helps

EDIT: Nope, it didnt help

EDIT 2: I switched back to 60Hz just to check how battery and temp. will hold. Now there is no more video on battery leak with any app. I am sure it has nothing to do with display Hz but, that is the only change I made. Will try later with switching back to 120Hz.

Last edited:

KPMcClave

May 16, 2013
Visit site
It had been a while since I noticed the Video On battery leak for any of my apps.

I got an update to the Ring app via Play yesterday and there the leak was again:

Screenshot_20201028-182459_GSam Battery Monitor Pro.jpg

Screenshot_20201028-182505_GSam Battery Monitor Pro.jpg

This isn't a beta app and it has done this before (as have Instagram and Twitter off the top of my head).

It seems a reboot took care of the issue, but in the past the issue has reappeared without an update being installed, seemingly out of the blue.

Zolee10

Oct 15, 2020
Visit site
Yea, there are just few places where this is mentioned. No solution. On one place I read someone said its gsam bug. Dont know if its true but it makes sense, how is possible that gsam keeps adding to app usage after app is hibernated?
Try tracking through some different monitor app what is the % of power offending app uses.
I have given up on this...

KPMcClave

May 16, 2013
Visit site
Yea, there are just few places where this is mentioned. No solution. On one place I read someone said its gsam bug. Dont know if its true but it makes sense, how is possible that gsam keeps adding to app usage after app is hibernated?
Try tracking through some different monitor app what is the % of power offending app uses.
I have given up on this...

Thanks. It was my sense that, despite the wild numbers for the occasional rogue app's Viedo On line, my overall drain wasn't obviously different. That supports the idea of a Gsam bug issue. Of course, I'm not certain that was the case because the issue didn't last with one app for multiple days.

I appreciate the info.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
davisongeorge