Pixel 4 to 20 FE?

videoouija

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Got an unlocked pixel 4 back during the awesome April sale. Use with Verizon prepaid. Looking at the 20fe because I think Samsung hit it out of the park. And that red would match my red iPhone well. I like having the pure android experience without the Samsung app bloat, but I prefer OneUI.

It looks like I can override bixby to google assistant. Nervous about the mixed reviews on the touch sensor. Feel much better about the three years of updates and Samsung has occasionally been beating google to security updates lately. Should I stick with my pixel 4 or should I upgrade to an unlocked 20 fe?

Stanley Kubrick

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
Hard to say what you should do...it's really a personal choice you have to make based on the features you need, or want, and which phone will satisfy those needs. I have the red FE and I am loving it so far. I "upgraded" from a OnePlus 7 Pro which was/is a truly great device...but I hate curved screens. I'm not thrilled with punch hole selfies either but I use a dark wallpaper so I barely notice it anyway...plus you can hide it if you use a light colored wallpaper. The only issue I have at times is that when I pull the phone out of my pocket the screen is on and registering screen taps. I've tried several different screen settings and what I have decided on for now is to just remove the camera/phone shortcuts on the lock screen (which I never use) so that if the screen does turn on there is nothing to accidentally tap! This way I can keep double tap to wake turned on. Otherwise I'm loving the phone and LOVING the FLAT screen...though I wish the OEM's would go back to truly FLAT screens not the 2.5 D type. Can't win them all!

BotanicalStig

Feb 20, 2013
Visit site
I mean... You didn't even give any reason why you think the FE might be better for you. It's certainly larger, is that important? Wide angle camera? Those are big up sides, for me. But you chose not to get the pixel XL so maybe this is too big for you?

Samsung won't beat Google at updates, whoever gave you that idea is wrong. The fingerprint scanner has been very reliable. The display is the biggest weak point, but it's fine, really.

I can't imagine swapping phones after only a few months, but the FE is a great phone. If you hate your money, go for it.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
I mean... You didn't even give any reason why you think the FE might be better for you. It's certainly larger, is that important? Wide angle camera? Those are big up sides, for me. But you chose not to get the pixel XL so maybe this is too big for you?

Samsung won't beat Google at updates, whoever gave you that idea is wrong. The fingerprint scanner has been very reliable. The display is the biggest weak point, but it's fine, really.

I can't imagine swapping phones after only a few months, but the FE is a great phone. If you hate your money, go for it.

Samsung has been providing monthly security patches at the beginning of every month the last couple of years. The only exception is certain carriers who are sometimes a month behind.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
That's a very tough choice to make! Would you sell your Pixel 4? You could always try out the FE for the length of the trial/return period, and see how it runs. Let us know what you decide!

bkdodger2

Jun 3, 2020
Visit site
I'm having no issues with my FE ..I sold the 4 XL for this phone..overall I'm happy ..I do use it as my backup phone just like the Pixel ...coming from the Pixel 4 you can expect better battery and larger screen ...I enjoy One UI more and more ..its also getting updates and will be receiving One UI 3.0 ...it ticks plenty of boxes for me ...they are in stores so you can get a feel...

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Samsung has occasionally been beating google to security updates lately.
Maybe be beating them as far as the date for that month is concerned - but Samsung is usually releasing a 6 month old update. So the update you may have gotten on October 1st or 2nd isn't the one Samsung got from Google on September 4th, is one that Samsung got from Google back around February or March.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Maybe be beating them as far as the date for that month is concerned - but Samsung is usually releasing a 6 month old update. So the update you may have gotten on October 1st or 2nd isn't the one Samsung got from Google on September 4th, is one that Samsung got from Google back around February or March.
I'm little confused , samsung security updates are 6 months behind? Their October security patch is from google for October .

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
The September release by Google to manufacturers, the one we just got on October 5th, was the second update that was 11. We updated to 11 in September - Samsung got that update in August.

So yes, you got an October update but no, it wasn't Google's October update, it was a Google update from before September.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Are you referring to monthly security updates and fixees or system updates?

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
The September release by Google to manufacturers, the one we just got on October 5th, was the second update that was 11. We updated to 11 in September - Samsung got that update in August.

So yes, you got an October update but no, it wasn't Google's October update, it was a Google update from before September.
I think you mean google play update ?Screenshot_20201012-155521_Google%20Play%20Store.jpegScreenshot_20201012-155401_Settings.jpeg

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Either. Google issues them to manufacturers a month before Google releases them to users. But Samsung has always been at least a few months behind. (And not the Google Play update - I haven't updated that in many months. I'm talking about the Factory Images for Nexus and Pixel Devices and Full OTA Images for Nexus and Pixel Devices that Google releases every month. On the first Monday. You can set your calendar by it.)

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Either. Google issues them to manufacturers a month before Google releases them to users. But Samsung has always been at least a few months behind. (And not the Google Play update - I haven't updated that in many months. I'm talking about the Factory Images for Nexus and Pixel Devices and Full OTA Images for Nexus and Pixel Devices that Google releases every month. On the first Monday. You can set your calendar by it.)
You are going by past experience perhaps. I have been getting monthly updates on time for the last two years. The October security patch was received early last week.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site

A system OS update takes a bit longer for OEMs to put their skin on it and make sure it works. Android 11 is currently out in beta for Samsung.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cy3berOdyssey