Pixel 4 to 20 FE?

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Monthly, yes - but Google released 11 to users in September and to Samsung in August. And you still haven't gotten it. (Samsung can have the app say anything - that doesn't mean that you've gotten even the September 2020 update - which was to Android 11. Look at either of the links I gave you - scroll down and you'll see the Android version and the release-to-users date. [We can download either the OTA or the full ROM and update a phone as soon as Google posts it. (Even replace the full ROM - there's a trivial way to get it to not wipe the phone.)])

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Either. Google issues them to manufacturers a month before Google releases them to users. But Samsung has always been at least a few months behind. (And not the Google Play update - I haven't updated that in many months. I'm talking about the Factory Images for Nexus and Pixel Devices and Full OTA Images for Nexus and Pixel Devices that Google releases every month. On the first Monday. You can set your calendar by it.)
Google release the security for that month , my Note 20u got it before my pixel 4xl.
android OS update is total different , pixel get that first then other manufacturer , but security update is a security update , who decides to release it first or later different but samsung been really good at security updates

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Monthly, yes - but Google released 11 to users in September and to Samsung in August. And you still haven't gotten it. (Samsung can have the app say anything - that doesn't mean that you've gotten even the September 2020 update - which was to Android 11. Look at either of the links I gave you - scroll down and you'll see the Android version and the release-to-users date. [We can download either the OTA or the full ROM and update a phone as soon as Google posts it. (Even replace the full ROM - there's a trivial way to get it to not wipe the phone.)])
Android 11 is currently in beta for Samsung. We all know it's takes longer for OS updates. That doesn't change the fact that Samsung is getting monthly patches updates out on time on most devices.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Got an unlocked pixel 4 back during the awesome April sale. Use with Verizon prepaid. Looking at the 20fe because I think Samsung hit it out of the park. And that red would match my red iPhone well. I like having the pure android experience without the Samsung app bloat, but I prefer OneUI.

It looks like I can override bixby to google assistant. Nervous about the mixed reviews on the touch sensor. Feel much better about the three years of updates and Samsung has occasionally been beating google to security updates lately. Should I stick with my pixel 4 or should I upgrade to an unlocked 20 fe?
Sounds like you want to try the FE. I say go with your instincts and try it out. You can always return it unless you are trading in the Pixel.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Android 11 is currently in beta for Samsung. We all know it's takes longer for OS updates.
There's no reason for Samsung to change Android 11 itself - they could just slap the last 10 vendor package on the OS update - that was the whole idea of seamless updates, and releasing the update to the vendor a month early. (I could do it myself, if I could download the updates - it's the definition of 'trivial'. For once, Google did exactly the right thing, and Samsung messed it up.)

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Google release the security for that month , my Note 20u got it before my pixel 4xl.
Samsung can label their latest security patch "October", but does it really have CVE-2020-0420 and the rest? Or is it an "Android 8, 9, 10, 11" security patch? (Have you even looked at the security bulletin?)

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
I think this discussion about timely updates is getting nowhere and we are off topic other than the OP briefly mentioned updates when he was looking for advice on whether to stick with his Pixel or go with the FE.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781