10-12-2020 05:14 PM
29 12
tools
    Got an unlocked pixel 4 back during the awesome April sale. Use with Verizon prepaid. Looking at the 20fe because I think Samsung hit it out of the park. And that red would match my red iPhone well. I like having the pure android experience without the Samsung app bloat, but I prefer OneUI.

It looks like I can override bixby to google assistant. Nervous about the mixed reviews on the touch sensor. Feel much better about the three years of updates and Samsung has occasionally been beating google to security updates lately. Should I stick with my pixel 4 or should I upgrade to an unlocked 20 fe?
    Morty2264 likes this.
    10-11-2020 04:06 PM
    Hard to say what you should do...it's really a personal choice you have to make based on the features you need, or want, and which phone will satisfy those needs. I have the red FE and I am loving it so far. I "upgraded" from a OnePlus 7 Pro which was/is a truly great device...but I hate curved screens. I'm not thrilled with punch hole selfies either but I use a dark wallpaper so I barely notice it anyway...plus you can hide it if you use a light colored wallpaper. The only issue I have at times is that when I pull the phone out of my pocket the screen is on and registering screen taps. I've tried several different screen settings and what I have decided on for now is to just remove the camera/phone shortcuts on the lock screen (which I never use) so that if the screen does turn on there is nothing to accidentally tap! This way I can keep double tap to wake turned on. Otherwise I'm loving the phone and LOVING the FLAT screen...though I wish the OEM's would go back to truly FLAT screens not the 2.5 D type. Can't win them all!
    10-11-2020 06:23 PM
    I mean... You didn't even give any reason why you think the FE might be better for you. It's certainly larger, is that important? Wide angle camera? Those are big up sides, for me. But you chose not to get the pixel XL so maybe this is too big for you?

Samsung won't beat Google at updates, whoever gave you that idea is wrong. The fingerprint scanner has been very reliable. The display is the biggest weak point, but it's fine, really.

I can't imagine swapping phones after only a few months, but the FE is a great phone. If you hate your money, go for it.
    10-11-2020 08:31 PM
    I mean... You didn't even give any reason why you think the FE might be better for you. It's certainly larger, is that important? Wide angle camera? Those are big up sides, for me. But you chose not to get the pixel XL so maybe this is too big for you?

Samsung won't beat Google at updates, whoever gave you that idea is wrong. The fingerprint scanner has been very reliable. The display is the biggest weak point, but it's fine, really.

I can't imagine swapping phones after only a few months, but the FE is a great phone. If you hate your money, go for it.
    Samsung has been providing monthly security patches at the beginning of every month the last couple of years. The only exception is certain carriers who are sometimes a month behind.
    mustang7757 likes this.
    10-11-2020 09:19 PM
    Samsung has been providing monthly security patches at the beginning of every month the last couple of years. The only exception is certain carriers who are sometimes a month behind.
    They have been very good !
    10-11-2020 09:22 PM
    They have been very good !
    Yep, my unlocked S20 has gotten them almost as fast as my pixel 4XL.
    mustang7757 likes this.
    10-11-2020 09:36 PM
    That's a very tough choice to make! Would you sell your Pixel 4? You could always try out the FE for the length of the trial/return period, and see how it runs. Let us know what you decide!
    10-11-2020 10:48 PM
    Yep, my unlocked S20 has gotten them almost as fast as my pixel 4XL.
    Yeah , pretty sweet
    10-11-2020 11:39 PM
    I'm having no issues with my FE ..I sold the 4 XL for this phone..overall I'm happy ..I do use it as my backup phone just like the Pixel ...coming from the Pixel 4 you can expect better battery and larger screen ...I enjoy One UI more and more ..its also getting updates and will be receiving One UI 3.0 ...it ticks plenty of boxes for me ...they are in stores so you can get a feel...
    KPMcClave likes this.
    10-12-2020 08:36 AM
    Samsung has occasionally been beating google to security updates lately.
    Maybe be beating them as far as the date for that month is concerned - but Samsung is usually releasing a 6 month old update. So the update you may have gotten on October 1st or 2nd isn't the one Samsung got from Google on September 4th, is one that Samsung got from Google back around February or March.
    10-12-2020 03:31 PM
    Maybe be beating them as far as the date for that month is concerned - but Samsung is usually releasing a 6 month old update. So the update you may have gotten on October 1st or 2nd isn't the one Samsung got from Google on September 4th, is one that Samsung got from Google back around February or March.
    I'm little confused , samsung security updates are 6 months behind? Their October security patch is from google for October .
    10-12-2020 03:38 PM
    When did that phone get Android 11? Or 10, if you remember?
    10-12-2020 03:40 PM
    When did that phone get Android 11? Or 10, if you remember?
    I have Note 20 Ultra for example , on October security running Android 10
    10-12-2020 03:41 PM
    The September release by Google to manufacturers, the one we just got on October 5th, was the second update that was 11. We updated to 11 in September - Samsung got that update in August.

So yes, you got an October update but no, it wasn't Google's October update, it was a Google update from before September.
    10-12-2020 03:43 PM
    Are you referring to monthly security updates and fixees or system updates?
    10-12-2020 03:47 PM
    The September release by Google to manufacturers, the one we just got on October 5th, was the second update that was 11. We updated to 11 in September - Samsung got that update in August.

So yes, you got an October update but no, it wasn't Google's October update, it was a Google update from before September.
    I think you mean google play update ?Pixel 4 to 20 FE?-screenshot_20201012-155521_google-20play-20store.jpegPixel 4 to 20 FE?-screenshot_20201012-155401_settings.jpeg
    10-12-2020 03:56 PM
    Either. Google issues them to manufacturers a month before Google releases them to users. But Samsung has always been at least a few months behind. (And not the Google Play update - I haven't updated that in many months. I'm talking about the Factory Images for Nexus and Pixel Devices and Full OTA Images for Nexus and Pixel Devices that Google releases every month. On the first Monday. You can set your calendar by it.)
    10-12-2020 04:19 PM
    And not a reason not to pick up a Samsung phone IMO...
    10-12-2020 04:23 PM
    Either. Google issues them to manufacturers a month before Google releases them to users. But Samsung has always been at least a few months behind. (And not the Google Play update - I haven't updated that in many months. I'm talking about the Factory Images for Nexus and Pixel Devices and Full OTA Images for Nexus and Pixel Devices that Google releases every month. On the first Monday. You can set your calendar by it.)
    You are going by past experience perhaps. I have been getting monthly updates on time for the last two years. The October security patch was received early last week.
    10-12-2020 04:44 PM

A system OS update takes a bit longer for OEMs to put their skin on it and make sure it works. Android 11 is currently out in beta for Samsung.
    10-12-2020 04:48 PM
    Monthly, yes - but Google released 11 to users in September and to Samsung in August. And you still haven't gotten it. (Samsung can have the app say anything - that doesn't mean that you've gotten even the September 2020 update - which was to Android 11. Look at either of the links I gave you - scroll down and you'll see the Android version and the release-to-users date. [We can download either the OTA or the full ROM and update a phone as soon as Google posts it. (Even replace the full ROM - there's a trivial way to get it to not wipe the phone.)])
    10-12-2020 04:48 PM
    Google release the security for that month , my Note 20u got it before my pixel 4xl.
    android OS update is total different , pixel get that first then other manufacturer , but security update is a security update , who decides to release it first or later different but samsung been really good at security updates
    10-12-2020 04:54 PM
    Monthly, yes - but Google released 11 to users in September and to Samsung in August. And you still haven't gotten it. (Samsung can have the app say anything - that doesn't mean that you've gotten even the September 2020 update - which was to Android 11. Look at either of the links I gave you - scroll down and you'll see the Android version and the release-to-users date. [We can download either the OTA or the full ROM and update a phone as soon as Google posts it. (Even replace the full ROM - there's a trivial way to get it to not wipe the phone.)])
    Android 11 is currently in beta for Samsung. We all know it's takes longer for OS updates. That doesn't change the fact that Samsung is getting monthly patches updates out on time on most devices.
    10-12-2020 04:55 PM
    Got an unlocked pixel 4 back during the awesome April sale. Use with Verizon prepaid. Looking at the 20fe because I think Samsung hit it out of the park. And that red would match my red iPhone well. I like having the pure android experience without the Samsung app bloat, but I prefer OneUI.

It looks like I can override bixby to google assistant. Nervous about the mixed reviews on the touch sensor. Feel much better about the three years of updates and Samsung has occasionally been beating google to security updates lately. Should I stick with my pixel 4 or should I upgrade to an unlocked 20 fe?
    Sounds like you want to try the FE. I say go with your instincts and try it out. You can always return it unless you are trading in the Pixel.
    Morty2264 likes this.
    10-12-2020 04:59 PM
    Android 11 is currently in beta for Samsung. We all know it's takes longer for OS updates.
    There's no reason for Samsung to change Android 11 itself - they could just slap the last 10 vendor package on the OS update - that was the whole idea of seamless updates, and releasing the update to the vendor a month early. (I could do it myself, if I could download the updates - it's the definition of 'trivial'. For once, Google did exactly the right thing, and Samsung messed it up.)
    10-12-2020 05:03 PM
29 12