Google/Gboard Voice Typing Help

sctiger

May 5, 2015
Visit site
How do I stop Google from entering the word "period" when I say "period" at the end of a sentence. If I watch as I voice type, it will enter a "." when I say "period." But, then it goes back and changes it to the word "period" once I complete my statement. Other punctuation functions properly when spoken. Also it always starts a sentence off with with a lowercase letter. Am I missing a setting or is there a certain tone or cadence I need to use when speaking. Thanks in advance

VidJunky

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
First is this in all apps, one specific app or randomly?

You're using GBoard, so are you using the mic in the suggestion bar at the top of the keyboard or are you using the mic in the text field/box?

I've never experienced this with GBoard and I only use the mic that is on the keyboard, because while the mic that is in the text field says Google it is not part of GBoard. It is actually an accessed Voice to Text engine supplied by Google to the app developer and for whatever reason I haven't found one that works as well as just using the one attached to GBoard. I also don't like the UI it pulls up but that's not important.

sctiger

May 5, 2015
Visit site
It seems to happen in any app period I'm using the mic in the suggestion line within the gboard keyboard. the period situation is hit or miss period but for some reason it likes to use a lowercase letter at the beginning of a sentence unless it's a proper name. this was typed using the voice input method.

VidJunky

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
That seems really odd. In the meantime keep trying. I'm not sure what else to say, but maybe you should check your settings.

I used voice to type the previous lines. A little random sorry. Everything seemed to work. Two things that come to mind are; for capitalization check your keyboard settings for auto capitalize. The other is I felt like I paused before saying period. I don't use voice to text often enough to be smooth and fluid with it. Even when I know what I'm going to say I still find myself stumbling through. Lol.

mgloss

Nov 2, 2011
Visit site
It seems to happen in any app period I'm using the mic in the suggestion line within the gboard keyboard. the period situation is hit or miss period but for some reason it likes to use a lowercase letter at the beginning of a sentence unless it's a proper name. this was typed using the voice input method.

I am having the exact same problems and have no idea how to fix it!

VidJunky

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
I haven't changed any settings or tweaked anything that I can think of besides Dark Mode but nothing that I think would affect VTT and mine works. Are there any settings or anything you can think of you may have manually changed? Have you opened or looked through your Google settings lately?

The only other thing I can think would be a bad app. Like something else that is installed on the device is somehow causing issues... Try using it while the phone is in Safe Mode. Safe Mode prevents other apps from running I the background and should give you a pure experience.

This link will show you how to get into safe mode... https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...s20-1082859/&usg=AOvVaw191Te6oqsJWAhdFsk-v7mo

Post back your results and