Galaxy S20 5G AT&T won't update software

AlphaBeepBeep

Apr 17, 2019
Visit site
So this got me thinking, I've had the S20 plus for a about 2 months now, and it updated fine a few times when I first got it, but looking, I'm on the August security patch, and it says that I am up to date. Is that the latest security patch from AT&T, or am I not getting updates?

this is how i found out my s20 ultra wasn't on the latest firmware: https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...less/KM1381239/Samsung/SMG988U&token=T3q-S-gO

apparently we should be on October. Maybe att pulled it? I'm not sure what to think.

RapidTurtle

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site
In reading that other thread where the ultra won't update. Has anyone gotten their at&t branded s20"s to update to that October security patch?

JREwing

Feb 7, 2015
Visit site
I took my device to UbreakitIfixit and they told me that I had a bad motherboard in my S20 AT&T version. They said to call Samsung and they would get a replacement out overnight. They also told me not to mess with AT&T because they told me they didn't know what they were doing.
My S20 was also stuck on the August security patch. AT&T kept telling me that my device was up to date. I bought the device in July and never was able to force an update since I owned the device. I am now waiting on my replacement.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I took my device to UbreakitIfixit and they told me that I had a bad motherboard in my S20 AT&T version. They said to call Samsung and they would get a replacement out overnight. They also told me not to mess with AT&T because they told me they didn't know what they were doing.
My S20 was also stuck on the August security patch. AT&T kept telling me that my device was up to date. I bought the device in July and never was able to force an update since I owned the device. I am now waiting on my replacement.
Hope everything works out , keep us posted!

cohoman

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
I wonder why it suddenly won't update. it was on the February patch out of the box and updated perfectly one after another the other night but now I'm stuck on August and can't get any more updates. att website says the October patch is the most recent but I can't get the phone to get it.

I've had the same issue with my Galaxy S10 for the past several months now. No OTA updates being sent to my phone by AT&T, unless I talk with their support agents via chat and have them push it to my phone (which often takes several calls). To get updates quicker and more consistently, I use a method mustang7757 suggested and download the firmware for T-Mobile or US Cellular and install it manually on using my Windows 10 machine. Has been working great for the last few times and my phone looks just like it would with an AT&T update.

RapidTurtle

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site
Hey, I got android 11 and on ui 3 this morning on my AT&T S20 plus this morning. Security is on the November patch now also. So I guess I don't have the problem.

me andyou

Dec 14, 2020
Visit site
Bought the S20+ from Bestbuy 3 days ago and was stuck on July 1 2020 security patch. Replaced Sim card and did multiple factory reset and still was not able to update software. Same blame game with ATT support pointing finger at Samsung. Had to use wife Sim card and manually set date to 1 day ahead...and it started downloading update. Had to change date again to download new updates. The issue is definitely 100% ATT. Bad service experience for a new customer with clueless ATT tech support. Bad impression on the brand. The problem had something to do with the line during activation. Have not contacted ATT for a fix yet on my line.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Bought the S20+ from Bestbuy 3 days ago and was stuck on July 1 2020 security patch. Replaced Sim card and did multiple factory reset and still was not able to update software. Same blame game with ATT support pointing finger at Samsung. Had to use wife Sim card and manually set date to 1 day ahead...and it started downloading update. Had to change date again to download new updates. The issue is definitely 100% ATT. Bad service experience for a new customer with clueless ATT tech support. Bad impression on the brand. The problem had something to do with the line during activation. Have not contacted ATT for a fix yet on my line.
Hi, welcome to AC!

Some have tried sim change, fast forward time trick ,smart switch on pc , etc ...some say yeah it worked and others had to revert to odin . I believe it's a Att issue as well.

JREwing

Feb 7, 2015
Visit site
Got my S20 back from Samsung. They repaired it free of charge. Wasn't updating the software and was stuck on August patch. Came back with 3.0 loaded with November patch. Runs like a champ. So there was definitely something wrong with it. AT&T kept telling me that it was up to date and nothing was wrong with it. Even the Ibreakitufixit guy told me to just deal with Samsung because AT&T didn't know what they were talking about.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Got my S20 back from Samsung. They repaired it free of charge. Wasn't updating the software and was stuck on August patch. Came back with 3.0 loaded with November patch. Runs like a champ. So there was definitely something wrong with it. AT&T kept telling me that it was up to date and nothing was wrong with it. Even the Ibreakitufixit guy told me to just deal with Samsung because AT&T didn't know what they were talking about.
Thats great hopefully it stays like that!
No December patch with andriod 11?

dm3ready

Sep 11, 2011
Visit site
I know the post is old but just in case someone else could be helped....I just wanted to share an update on my situation. (I couldn't get security updates on my S21...numerous calls to AT&T and Samsung were futile) So, instead of trying to flash my phone myself, I took it to UBreakIfix (USA). I was in and out within 45 minutes...my security updates finally moved from Feb 2021 to Oct 2021. Yay! That was 3 days ago...this morning, for giggles I decided to check Software updates...I got Android 12! Woo-hoo.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12