Galaxy S20 5G AT&T won't update software

rbridges416

Oct 16, 2015
Visit site
I am trying to update the software on my AT&T Galaxy S20 5G, but the device and SmartSwitch on my computer are both saying the latest software is installed. The software version on my phone is the G981USQU1ATCT baseband version, and from the AT&T website I can see that there have been four updates since this version. I have gone through the AT&T recommended troubleshooting steps (ensuring sufficient memory, restarting phone) as well as checking for update using SmartSwitch on my computer.

Do I have any options for updating short of finding a Samsung Care center and having them force an update? There is no licensed care center within 100 miles of my location.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
First, thanks for moving this; the S20 forum didn't show up in the drop down.

Security patch level is April 1, 2020
Welcome!

You might have to flash through odin to the latest update , some people have had this issue on Att going back from Note 9 release .

joeldf

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
Re: Galaxy S20 5G AT&T won't update software

I have heard of this issue before on occasion with AT&T but don't recall if anyone ever had a resolution.
AT&T's support forum is full of users not getting updates. Going back to owners of the S8. It's not everyone, but in my view, a significant number. AT&T won't admit to an issue, and members there (of which I'm one) can't see a definite pattern.

Carrier store bought, on-line order, retail store (Best Buy or Walmart) purchase, doesn't seem to matter.

Best we can figure is that it's an issue with the account itself, it seems the phone is invisible in the system. You won't know until that first update goes out. And, once you miss an update, you're done. No amount of calling AT&T CS, asking them to push the update to you, is going to work. They'll say it's pushed, but no one has ever seen it.

The only two options are... 1.) Flash it yourself, and members here are great for helping with that - especially @mustang7757, or 2.) Take it to a UbreakIfix store and have them flash it (their process usually wipes the phone, so backup your stuff beforehand just to be sure).

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Re: Galaxy S20 5G AT&T won't update software

AT&T's support forum is full of users not getting updates. Going back to owners of the S8. It's not everyone, but in my view, a significant number. AT&T won't admit to an issue, and members there (of which I'm one) can't see a definite pattern.

Carrier store bought, on-line order, retail store (Best Buy or Walmart) purchase, doesn't seem to matter.

Best we can figure is that it's an issue with the account itself, it seems the phone is invisible in the system. You won't know until that first update goes out. And, once you miss an update, you're done. No amount of calling AT&T CS, asking them to push the update to you, is going to work. They'll say it's pushed, but no one has ever seen it.

The only two options are... 1.) Flash it yourself, and members here are great for helping with that - especially @mustang7757, or 2.) Take it to a UbreakIfix store and have them flash it (their process usually wipes the phone, so backup your stuff beforehand just to be sure).

I agree been a long problem !

Thank you !

pjniez

May 5, 2010
Visit site
I've had this problem since my pre-ordered S10+ in early 2019 on AT&T. I broke the screen on that phone in October 2019 and received a brand new S10+ from Asurion which also would not get the OTA updates. I then upgraded to an AT&T S20 Ultra which I pre-ordered directly from Samsung and it alsowould not receive OTA updates. I eventually manually updated it with firmware from sammobile.com using Odin with the help from members of this forum (especially mustang7757 - thanks!)

AT&T tech support was not able to help me and neither was Samsung tech support. They each said that they don't push it the OTA updates and blamed each other for being responsible.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I've had this problem since my pre-ordered S10+ in early 2019 on AT&T. I broke the screen on that phone in October 2019 and received a brand new S10+ from Asurion which also would not get the OTA updates. I then upgraded to an AT&T S20 Ultra which I pre-ordered directly from Samsung and it alsowould not receive OTA updates. I eventually manually updated it with firmware from sammobile.com using Odin with the help from members of this forum (especially mustang7757 - thanks!)

AT&T tech support was not able to help me and neither was Samsung tech support. They each said that they don't push it the OTA updates and blamed each other for being responsible.
Your welcome!

paridge

May 20, 2012
Visit site
After going through the AT&T—Samsung blame game, Samsung suggested that I get the ROM reflashed at an authorized store. I have the AT&T August update last month. Don't know whether the phone will recognize future updates. It was very frustrating. At least I have the camera updates now.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
After going through the AT&T—Samsung blame game, Samsung suggested that I get the ROM reflashed at an authorized store. I have the AT&T August update last month. Don't know whether the phone will recognize future updates. It was very frustrating. At least I have the camera updates now.
If it doesn't just flash through odin , and since Att firmware are harder to get , can use TMB .

AlphaBeepBeep

Apr 17, 2019
Visit site
is it better to just buy unlocked Samsung phones? in the past the carrier phones always got the updates pushed over the air first. has Samsung gotten better at updating their unlocked phones in a timely manner?