Verizon Nationwide low band 5G just got turned on today

buzzy3970

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site
What phone do you have and everyone gets the low bands regardless of plans. It's the uwb(really fast speeds) that you won't get.
Cool, thanks for the heads up. Usually reps with the carriers don't have a clue for when updates will actually drop.

I just did the update and I can confirm I now have the 5G logo!

The only thing is, I don't pay for the unlimited plans, and I thought that was the only way you got 5G?

buzzy3970

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site
Email's are starting to go out so hopefully all the software updates for the phones will be pushed today. I'm on gUdp so it will be nice to feel like I'm getting more coverage i.e 5G although I know I won't be getting the true fast speeds lol. Screenshot_20201014-083225_Gmail.jpeg

KPMcClave

May 16, 2013
Visit site
This all feels a little New OS Update-ish. Everyone all a buzz about the changes and chomping at the bit to get the download. I checked the map and my important places are all red. It'll be interesting to see what changes but I'm not excited about it.

Thanks for the info though. I actually wasn't expecting it to be online this soon.

I think the fact there have been numerous reports of the nationwide 5G being slower than 4G in many places probably puts a damper on things.

alarsen77

Jan 2, 2016
Visit site
I just did a system update check on my Verizon S20+ and system update 7 was there for me to download, States this update brings nationwide 5g to your device. Downloading now.

KPMcClave

May 16, 2013
Visit site
Cool, thanks for the heads up. Usually reps with the carriers don't have a clue for when updates will actually drop.

I just did the update and I can confirm I now have the 5G logo!

The only thing is, I don't pay for the unlimited plans, and I thought that was the only way you got 5G?

I don't know about non-unlimited plans, but I noticed yesterday that the upcharge for 5G on Verizon is only for mmWave Ultra Wideband. The nationwide 5G is included in all unlimited plans. Maybe it's included in all plans.

alarsen77

Jan 2, 2016
Visit site
Is your device a carrier model?

Yes it is a carrier model. I don't notice any difference in speeds after the update though. I now show 5g at work but it is the same as my previous 4g tests. Which honestly are slower than I expected at work. I only get around 10-20mbps down on a good test (3-5mbps on a bad test) and about 20-30mbps up and it is the same with the 5g icon. I am not sure if they are just having issues in my area right now but it isn't what I remember Verizon's network being like when I was with them a few years ago. I think it is worse than it was then. T-Mobile's speeds were definitely better but they had other issues we couldn't stand anymore so we are back on Verizon now.

alarsen77

Jan 2, 2016
Visit site
The weird thing is the update must have just been for the 5g because it didn't include October's security update. Still on the September 1st security update.

buzzy3970

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site
Not really. The update is more of a dds service which is a hybrid of 4G LTE and 5G. Seems like right now we are getting the same treatment that At&t got when they went to 5Ge. Kind of sucks, but I guess we'll see how it plays out.
I have the S20U on Verizon (locked)

So will I notice any difference in signal quality then?

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Not really. The update is more of a dds service which is a hybrid of 4G LTE and 5G. Seems like right now we are getting the same treatment that At&t got when they went to 5Ge. Kind of sucks, but I guess we'll see how it plays out.
Yeah, my LTE and LTE+ speeds are pretty fast. Plus working from home my WIFI is even faster. LowBand isn't going to conquer much that most of us don't already have.

Jesus Delgadillo

Oct 21, 2013
Visit site
Yeah. But you're not missing out on anything. It doesn't go inside my house. It only flips to 5G outside of my house, but on speedtest and sim status it still shows LTE while the 5G icon is on, as expected. At least with T-Mobile it now shows true 5G and I was covered everywhere, in and out of home.
You're on the carrier model though correct? A lot of us on unlocked are wondering when the update will be out.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Yeah. But you're not missing out on anything. It doesn't go inside my house. It only flips to 5G outside of my house, but on speedtest and sim status it still shows LTE while the 5G icon is on, as expected. At least with T-Mobile it now shows true 5G and I was covered everywhere, in and out of home.
Sounds like they stole a chapter out of AT&T's playbook

Last edited:

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Is that indoor outdoor thing true in every scenario? Surely the signal can penetrate glass.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragnDon