Pixel to Samsung : what do I gain, what do I lose?

gebco

Nov 27, 2015
Visit site
I'm looking at an S20 or an S20FE to replace my Pixel 2XL. I was looking at the Pixel 5 but the lackluster speakers are turning me away.
I'm not a gamer so I really don't care about processor and things like that, but what I really care about is camera, including low light, and the overall UI. For example I can screen calls on my Pixel but I don't think that's a thing on Samsung. I can grab text from a photo with the Pixel camera which has actually been useful a couple of times. On the other hand I think the Samsung has an HDMI out that the Pixel doesn't.
So, if I go to Samsung, what do I gain, what do I lose?

VidJunky

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
Well you loose the frequent updates that Pixel gets, although I'm not sure the Pixel 2 is seeing as many updates these days, but if you went back that would be one trade off.

I can tell you the S20 takes great night shots. I was pleasantly surprised how mine turned out. The Pixel 3 and 4 both have a strong rep on here for taking good photos though. Again not so sure about the 2. If this is really important I'd probably go check out some video reviews of the camera. There's no shortage.

The S20 will do the text grab thing too.

My S20 has some of the best speakers I can remember. I'd say they're better than the duel speakers I had on any of my HTCs which had been known for their speakers. My 20 is even better than my S10.

Obviously it will be bigger. Not sure if that is a plus or minus. I thought my S10 was big and the S20 is only a fraction larger so I didn't expect much difference but I can really feel the difference when it's in my pocket.

The screen has a nice display but I can't compare it to a Pixel since I've never owned one. Samsung is known for having some of the best displays on the market although if we're talking the FE, it's not the best. As in, it isn't the highest resolution best display, not, it's not good "not the best". Again this would be one of those areas where I would look for video reviews.

Samsung uses One UI and the Pixel is pretty stock Android from what I've heard. It's definitely a learning curve if you've never had a Samsung before. Again not sure if that would be plus or minus just something to think about.

Laura Knotek

Moderator Captain
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
It is possible to use other launchers and apps on Samsung devices to tweak the settings if you aren't crazy about One UI. For example, I sometimes use Nova Launcher Prime, which I've used on: Moto, LG, Nexus and Samsung devices. There is also an app Hex Installer which allows one to customise One UI to look and feel very much like Pixel.

J Dubbs

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
I'm looking at an S20 or an S20FE to replace my Pixel 2XL. I was looking at the Pixel 5 but the lackluster speakers are turning me away.
I'm not a gamer so I really don't care about processor and things like that, but what I really care about is camera, including low light, and the overall UI. For example I can screen calls on my Pixel but I don't think that's a thing on Samsung. I can grab text from a photo with the Pixel camera which has actually been useful a couple of times. On the other hand I think the Samsung has an HDMI out that the Pixel doesn't.

Great question thanks for asking... I'm also considering a move from pixel to Samsung, so reading these responses with interest ;)

Peter Scooze

Dec 18, 2019
Visit site

i came from pixel 2xl and 4 xl. if camera is what you care about then stay with pixel. i love my sammy and wont go back but i will say pixel cameras are better and more consistent. they're better in low light and woth moving objects.

gebco

Nov 27, 2015
Visit site
Thanks. The camera on my P2 is essentially the same sensor as the P3 and P4 and pretty much the same software.

I do appreciate the monthly updates on Pixel, but my understanding is that Samsung is stepping up their game in that regard?

Well you loose the frequent updates that Pixel gets, although I'm not sure the Pixel 2 is seeing as many updates these days, but if you went back that would be one trade off.

I can tell you the S20 takes great night shots. I was pleasantly surprised how mine turned out. The Pixel 3 and 4 both have a strong rep on here for taking good photos though. Again not so sure about the 2. If this is really important I'd probably go check out some video reviews of the camera. There's no shortage.

The S20 will do the text grab thing too.

My S20 has some of the best speakers I can remember. I'd say they're better than the duel speakers I had on any of my HTCs which had been known for their speakers. My 20 is even better than my S10.

Obviously it will be bigger. Not sure if that is a plus or minus. I thought my S10 was big and the S20 is only a fraction larger so I didn't expect much difference but I can really feel the difference when it's in my pocket.

The screen has a nice display but I can't compare it to a Pixel since I've never owned one. Samsung is known for having some of the best displays on the market although if we're talking the FE, it's not the best. As in, it isn't the highest resolution best display, not, it's not good "not the best". Again this would be one of those areas where I would look for video reviews.

Samsung uses One UI and the Pixel is pretty stock Android from what I've heard. It's definitely a learning curve if you've never had a Samsung before. Again not sure if that would be plus or minus just something to think about.

mwb1957

Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
I currently have the Pixel 2 XL, for close to 3 years now.
Great phone. No issues.
Currently trying to decide between the Pixel 5 and the S20 FE. Had a Note 3 before the Pixel 2XL. Not a big Samsung fan.
Fell in love with Google software, timely updates, and vanilla Android experience. Not in love with the Pixel 5 specs.
I guess I could go with the S20 FE and change the launcher.
Not motivated by either phone.
Any suggestions.
The 2XL cannot go on forever.

Last edited:

gebco

Nov 27, 2015
Visit site
I'm in exactly the same situation. I'd keep my Pixel 2XL for another year if it weren't for the end of the security updates. I'm also considering the Pixel 4a 5G.

Like you, nothing in a relatively reasonable price range is inspiring me, which is not good considering I'd keep the phone for 2 to 3 years.

I currently have the Pixel 2 XL, for close to 3 years now.
Great phone. No issues.
Currently trying to decide between the Pixel 5 and the S20 FE. Had a Note 3 before the Pixel 2XL. Not a big Samsung fan.
Fell in love with Google software, timely updates, and vanilla Android experience. Not in love with the Pixel 5 specs.
I guess I could go with the S20 FE and change the launcher.
Not motivated be either phone.

mwb1957

Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
I'm in exactly the same situation. I'd keep my Pixel 2XL for another year if it weren't for the end of the security updates. I'm also considering the Pixel 4a 5G.

Like you, nothing in a relatively reasonable price range is inspiring me, which is not good considering I'd keep the phone for 2 to 3 years.

I knew I was not alone.
Only met 3 people that had this phone.

gebco

Nov 27, 2015
Visit site
Haha! It seems I've always bought for my needs, even if it doesn't follow the crowd. I used BlackBerry to almost the bitter end end. I still love my Pentax DSLR.

I knew I was not alone.

KPMcClave

May 16, 2013
Visit site
I knew I was not alone.

I had a Pixel 2 XL that I upgraded to a 3 XL after 14 months or so (I wanted to root it and had the Verizon 2 XL...an unlocked 3 XL).

I upgraded the 3XL after 18 months to the S20 FE.

Some stream of consciousness thoughts.

You should get better battery life from the FE.

As you know I'm sure, you won't get the latest OS updates as quickly. Samsung has improved the security updates significantly, and probably the OS updates too, but you still have to wait longer than on your Pixel.

The Samsungs are more customizable. As others have mentioned One UI and things like #hex and Goodlock give you options we didn't have on Pixels. That appeals to me because I like my phone more blacked out (as opposed to dark theme) than the Pixel allows. Still, the systemwide dark theme plus the force override dark setting in developer options was nice combo on the Pixel.

You'll have extra stuff in your way when you first switch phones. For all the Google apps you likely use now (Calendar, Gmail, Contacts, Messages) there is also a Samsung app. You can uninstall, disable or use an app like Package Disabler Pro to freeze those, though. or you could use them instead of the Google versions if you prefer. This is probably the biggest pain for me. Actually switching data to the new S20 FE and then having to wrangle everything into the way I like it.

As for the cameras, I use my DSLR when I want to take "serious" photos, so my phone cameras is not my primary choice. I still want it to take good photos when I use it, though. I think it does that.

Having used the 2 XL and 3 XL for a total of 3 years, I can tell you that I'm happy with the S20 FE. I've had it for almost 4 weeks and have no real complaints at all. Even with something like OS updates, the versions of Android nowadays are so incremental in their changes that not having Android 11 yet doesn't even bother me (and I already had it in beta and stable release with the Pixel for a few months)

VidJunky

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
...I do appreciate the monthly updates on Pixel, but my understanding is that Samsung is stepping up their game in that regard?

Well Samsung has put out approximately monthly updates for the two Samsung devices I've had. They missed a month maybe two with when I had the S10. I haven't really had the S20 long enough to say how they're doing on that front yet but so far... In the meantime I was kind of referring to the bigger updates. Like OS and Google features. Pixels seem to get those as soon as Google releases them, where the rest of us are at the mercy of manufacturers and carriers mostly. I mean how long has Android 11 been out, and the Pixel 3 and 4 have it while the rest of us can't expect to see anything until early next year, maybe, and probably after A12 is released. Although Samsung seems to be headed towards 3 OS upgrades on their top of the line devices. I've heard the S10 will get 3 and I would imagine the S20 and the Note lines will see the same. I just wanted to say that I wasn't referring to updates in general but the big ones.

eshropshire

Oct 17, 2011
Visit site
Thanks. The camera on my P2 is essentially the same sensor as the P3 and P4 and pretty much the same software.

I do appreciate the monthly updates on Pixel, but my understanding is that Samsung is stepping up their game in that regard?

Samsung provides 3 years of monthly security updates, they might come out a week or two after the Pixel update, but is that really a big deal for a monthly update? Also Samsung provides a 4th year of quarterly security updates.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
As far as what you would lose, going from Pixel to Samsung, I too would second the notion of regular, timely software updates every month. Samsung has improved greatly in this regard but Pixel still sees prompter updates.

As far as what you would gain, Samsung's UI is so beneficial and I can't get enough of it. Coming to an S10 from a Pixel 2, I wasn't sure how I'd feel about the UI but man, it's top notch.

If you are not concerned about camera performance (because though Samsung takes great photos, I still think Pixel takes better ones), I'd definitely recommend giving Samsung a go.

gebco

Nov 27, 2015
Visit site
Everything I'm reading says Samsung has stepped up their security updates. As for camera, the reviews I'm watching show that the cameras are pretty close. The gap is no longer as wide.

What is it about the Samsung UI that you prefer?

As far as what you would lose, going from Pixel to Samsung, I too would second the notion of regular, timely software updates every month. Samsung has improved greatly in this regard but Pixel still sees prompter updates.

As far as what you would gain, Samsung's UI is so beneficial and I can't get enough of it. Coming to an S10 from a Pixel 2, I wasn't sure how I'd feel about the UI but man, it's top notch.

If you are not concerned about camera performance (because though Samsung takes great photos, I still think Pixel takes better ones), I'd definitely recommend giving Samsung a go.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Everything I'm reading says Samsung has stepped up their security updates. As for camera, the reviews I'm watching show that the cameras are pretty close. The gap is no longer as wide.

What is it about the Samsung UI that you prefer?

It is true that the gap in camera performance has gotten smaller. My S10 often takes beautiful shots. I just felt that my Pixel 2 was often more reliable, especially under point-and-shoot conditions.

Samsung's UI was definitely a surprise! I'm really enjoying the little touches they've added to the experience: Edge panel, Edge lighting, Samsung's native apps that I will actually use over Google's native ones (I was surprised too), like Clock, Calendar, Email, etc.

I actually also prefer Samsung's Messages app over Google's. I tried downloading Google's too because I was missing it, but it just ate up too much battery and I found that Samsung's app had more customization options.

Also, I'm loving affiliated apps like Good Lock. That was a huge game changer for me, since I'm someone who loves to customize my phone experience with new themes but not go *too far* to download launchers and change the UI.

I think when it comes down to it, I am a huge fan of both Samsung and Pixel. I like both UI's and I think if I use one, I'd miss the other.

sulla1965

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
All phones have their own pros and cons. Not everyone wants the same from their devices.In the end you really can't go wrong with any of the well known devices. Oneplus, samsung, google, Lg, Apple, etc.

flumdog

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
I just moved from a Pixel 3 to the S20fe and am very happy. I'm still getting used to the larger size but I think it's worth it, especially since it allows the larger battery (which, so far, is outstanding, as is the screen). I actually use it as more of a phone than a camera or game console so connectivity and audio quality are important and the Samsung is definitely an upgrade. I found a really cool feature that lets you tune the audio based on a hearing test it gives you.

It took a lot longer to get it set up than the Pixel and I'm still tweaking various options, mostly turning stuff off, and I spent a couple bucks on debloater software. I experienced some of the screen sensitivity problem at first but it's running fine after they pushed out an OTA (including October security update) and I did a factory reset. I wanted to a reset anyway once I figured out the settings...just wanted a clean slate once I had made a practice run. Anyway, I'm glad I did. Stock launcher is fine for me but I defaulted to Google for the keyboard and message app.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Akshay