S20 Ultra not getting 5G

kixfan

Apr 23, 2014
Visit site
I had a similar issue with my unlocked Ultra on AT&T. It turns out that when I got the phone from Samsung, I just put the SIM card in from my previous S8 Active. Phone worked and I did not switch to a 5G plan immediately because coverage in my area was sparse. A couple weeks ago, I added the 5G plan but could not get 5G (including at the AT&T store next to a new iPhone that was getting 5G). Since I didn't purchase the carrier version, AT&T had no idea I wasn't still rocking the S8. Went to the store this weekend and got a new SIM card and AT&T updated the system to show my S20 Ultra. Now I get 5G.

I had to do that on AT&T as well. They didn't change the sim but had to update the IMEI in their system to reflect the new phone. After that 5G worked perfectly.

anon(10614692)

Jun 26, 2019
Visit site
How can I tell if I got the international version?

By the model number. The number you quoted is the international version (dual sim). Go to Settings, about phone and report back the model number. BTW the sim tray needs the sd card removed. In fact when you're in "about phone" a dual sim device will show 2 IMEI numbers.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
SM-G988B/DS

I have a call into TMO. Technicians are working on getting it allowed. I had no idea there was an International version.
I don't think they be much help , but can try
Online vendor. I bought my S9+ in the same manner years ago when I got it, never had an issue. Used it on ATT and then TMO
You have international version, DS =Dual Sim
Can you return it?

ProsperPC

Nov 2, 2020
Visit site
Do we know why the international version won't work? I may ask TMO if they are aware of this.

I don't think I can return it, I've had it for a few months.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Do we know why the international version won't work? I may ask TMO if they are aware of this.

I don't think I can return it, I've had it for a few months.
There meant for other countries as it uses other bands then the US version, you might get 3g or 4g here but 5g might be tough.

ironass

Mar 9, 2015
Visit site
My S20 is factory unlocked. Model SM-G988B/DS.
You have the Dual SIM, DS, global model with the Exynos chip. This phone will work in most of the 195 countries worldwide except for the U.S.A. and a handful of others on the following 5G bands...

• 5G bands n1/n3/n5/n7/n8/n28/n40/n77/n78
The U.S.A. model requires the Snapdragon chip for its networks and its 5G bands...

• 5G bands n2/n5/n41/n66/n71/n260/n261

You cannot change the modem/baseband to make them compatible as they are different chipsets.

Bottom line... if you need 5G to work either worldwide or in the U.S.A. you will need to buy the correct model for that area.

Source

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781