Is The Desktop Version Of Smart Switch Compatible With The S20 FE?

KPMcClave

May 16, 2013
Visit site
I'm having trouble with my Windows 10 computer recognizing my S20 FE in Smart Switch. This type of thing has always seemed a little wonky, goping back to when I had a S7 Edge.

Is the S20 FE even compatible with the desktop SS app? The list of caompatible devcies I saw stopped after the S10 line, it appeared, but I don't know if that's accurate or just wasn't updated.

If it is supposed to work, any ideas for me on how to get the S20 FE recognized? I have the latest drivers, USB debugging (which I've revoked along with USB debuigging authorizations and then re-activated and tried again).

The phone is connected for the purposes of it being visible in Windows Explorer, it just isn't recognized by Smart Switch.

Also, I don't get the popup asking me to accept the connection via USB after I've revoked authoriztaions. Again, this has been a long time glitch.

Any help is appreciated.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Port makes no difference. I had already tried re-downloading the driver.
Developer option not needed to connect , reboot the computer ,put phone in safe mode and see .

Otherwise go setting>apps>3 dots upper right corner tap then scroll system apps and finds usb and clear it's Data , and force stop it

KPMcClave

May 16, 2013
Visit site

I'll try safe mode next time I need to reboot my computer. I'm not confident that will reveal anything, only because the phone is connected to the computer generally speaking.

The reset of USB data didn't fix it.

I just noticed when I switch the USB setting on the phone to system update while connected, Smart Switch says it's an unsupported device. Are the original S20 releases supported (because they also were not listed in the list I mentioned I saw in my OP).

KPMcClave

May 16, 2013
Visit site
The only reason I'm even working on using SS via my computer is that when I had the S7 Edge, and with some of my wife's Galaxy models, I seemed to get firmware updates sooner than via OTA. I suppose I'd make a backup while I'm there. Does that even still matter?

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Smart switch should work on any Samsung phone , it does software updates but I usually use it for backup because Samsung cloud going away.

Also make sure smart switch up to date and maybe Uninstall and reinstall again.

KPMcClave

May 16, 2013
Visit site
Smart switch should work on any Samsung phone , it does software updates but I usually use it for backup because Samsung cloud going away.

Also make sure smart switch up to date and maybe Uninstall and reinstall again.

It's up to date, and I just installed it a couple of days ago after a Wndows 10 reset (it wasn't installed previously).

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
It's up to date, and I just installed it a couple of days ago after a Wndows 10 reset (it wan't installed previously).
Ok , I belive I did a back up on my Note 20U , ill be headed to work to check that out in a little bit and let you know , in settings if you search smart switch it comes up the app on the phone?

KPMcClave

May 16, 2013
Visit site
Ok , I belive I did a back up on my Note 20U , ill be headed to work to check that out in a little bit and let you know , in settings if you search smart switch it comes up the app on the phone?

Thanks.

I haven't had the phone app installed, because it seemed to only be intended for phone-to-phone transfers (I did use it when I switched to the S20 FE from my Pixel 3 XL).

I did jsut reinstall it and open it and the desktop app still doesn't recognize the S20 FE.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Thanks.

I haven't had the phone app installed, because it seemed to only be intended for phone-to-phone transfers (I did use it when I switched to the S20 FE from my Pixel 3 XL).

I did jsut reinstall it and open it and the desktop app still doesn't recognize the S20 FE.
This strange, if you have another computer try smart switch there, I know it's worked from
S7 edge, s8+,s9+,Note 9, s10+,NOTE 10+,NOTE 20u20201108_193756.jpeg20201108_193739.jpeg20201108_193529.jpeg

Hardhat Harry

Apr 12, 2019
Visit site
Samsung Smart Switch is installed on my Dell PC, and I was able to back up my Samsung Galaxy S20FE without any difficulty. So, it does work with the S20FE.

KPMcClave

May 16, 2013
Visit site
Samsung Smart Switch is installed on my Dell PC, and I was able to back up my Samsung Galaxy S20FE without any difficulty. So, it does work with the S20FE.

Thanks! It's good to have definite confirmation for the S20 FE.

Now, I'm at a loss as to how to fix the issue, though.