Which glass does the S20 FE use?

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
The Samsung Galaxy S20 FE models that carry the Vodafone U.K. firmware are the global models...

Galaxy S20 FE (SM-G780F)

Galaxy S20 FE 5G (SM-G781B)

So, not carrier models. Just carrier firmware.

Like yourself @mustang7757, I have now discovered some more sites worldwide that quote Corning's Gorilla Glass 3 for those 2 models. AFAIK, those are the only 2 models of Samsung Galaxy S20 FE's.
I was trying to find Display Mate but I don't think they reviewed the s20 FE screen .

ironass

Mar 9, 2015
Visit site
I was trying to find Display Mate but I don't think they reviewed the s20 FE screen .

I came across this review on the xda developers forum that would seem to clinch it...

Samsung Galaxy S20 FE 4G Review: The Proof is in the Details

It states...

"The front is where the durability does hit a roadblock. The display is protected by Corning’s Gorilla Glass 3, which is four generations old now. The Galaxy Note 20 Ultra (review) has the latest Gorilla Glass Victus, and while hoping for its inclusion in the Galaxy S20 FE would have been a bit too optimistic, Gorilla Glass 6 should have been featured in an affordable flagship for better drop resistance. As it is, users are advised to use a case to protect their phone."

Adam Frix

Nov 29, 2015
Visit site
The Samsung Galaxy S20 FE models that carry the Vodafone U.K. firmware are the global models...

Galaxy S20 FE (SM-G780F)

Galaxy S20 FE 5G (SM-G781B)

So, not carrier models. Just carrier firmware. AFAIK, those are the only 2 models of Samsung Galaxy S20 FE's.

Like yourself @mustang7757, I have now discovered some more sites worldwide that quote Corning's Gorilla Glass 3 for those 2 models.

And in the end, nobody has any idea where this idea began. Samsung still has said exactly nothing.

That "a lot of sites are saying this" is, frankly, meaningless. Chances are, the same 5 people are busy quoting each other every time they hear it again.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I came across this review on the xda developers forum that would seem to clinch it...

Samsung Galaxy S20 FE 4G Review: The Proof is in the Details

It states...

"The front is where the durability does hit a roadblock. The display is protected by Corning’s Gorilla Glass 3, which is four generations old now. The Galaxy Note 20 Ultra (review) has the latest Gorilla Glass Victus, and while hoping for its inclusion in the Galaxy S20 FE would have been a bit too optimistic, Gorilla Glass 6 should have been featured in an affordable flagship for better drop resistance. As it is, users are advised to use a case to protect their phone."
Yeah , same link I mentioned by XDA earlier in thread , they pretty reputable on those things .

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
And in the end, nobody has any idea where this idea began. Samsung still has said exactly nothing.

That "a lot of sites are saying this" is, frankly, meaningless. Chances are, the same 5 people are busy quoting each other every time they hear it again.
I wouldn't say lot of those sites post specs are meaningless information, it's certainly not guessing on their part , they getting this source of information from somewhere , and possibly could be samsung.

ironass

Mar 9, 2015
Visit site

I do not believe that a major Samsung carrier partner such as Vodafone U.K. would take their information from any 3rd party and would rely on Samsung for their specifications for legal reasons.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
I wouldn't say lot of those sites post specs are meaningless information, it's certainly not guessing on their part , they getting this source of information from somewhere , and possibly could be samsung.
One site actually referenced GG3 and credited Samsung as the source. I believe Samsung deliberately leaves it out because GG3 is perceived as a negative in this day and age. I recall it getting heavily knocked when first announced.

KPMcClave

May 16, 2013
Visit site
One site actually referenced GG3 and credited Samsung as the source. I believe Samsung deliberately leaves it out because GG3 is perceived as a negative in this day and age. I recall it getting heavily knocked when first announced.

And the thing is, the differences are probably almost all PR anyway.

I mean, do people really think there are significant technological advancements in *glass* every year?

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Yeah , like I mentioned they getting their source from someone and good chances its Samsung.

HoosierDaddy

Trusted Member
Sep 23, 2014
Visit site
I mean, do people really think there are significant technological advancements in *glass* every year?
For me, there has never been a significant advancement. I don't know how or why, but my wife and I have never dropped a phone or put it where it got knocked off, etc.. And if that could happen in the future, I would prefer advancements in luck to head that off. ;)

Adam Frix

Nov 29, 2015
Visit site

Funny, they don't say anything about where they got it.

And since Samsung specifically does NOT say ANYTHING about the glass...

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Funny, they don't say anything about where they got it.

And since Samsung specifically does NOT say ANYTHING about the glass...
Well sometimes they say it and sometimes they dont.

Mike mentioned one of those links they said got it from Samsung.

I tend to believe these sources , why ? Because they have the inside of the business and talk to these manufacturers , it's their job . We don't.

If you waiting for Samsung to announce it , good luck. At least we have some credible sources to go by .

Kiran Nandanan

Jan 30, 2021
Visit site
I enquired about the screen to Samsung India Customer Care and recieved a reply saying that "Your Galaxy S20 FE model SM-G780F comes with Corning Gorilla Glass and the available version is GG3."

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coehlcke