What is smartio and why is it showing up in Google calendars?

Kahuna130

Nov 30, 2020
Visit site
I was configuring a new Android phone over the weekend ( Samsung s20 Fe) and when configuring email accounts that operate on Gmail mail G Suite saw that for each of the 3 accounts that I configured there is now a corresponding SMARTIO account under Google Calendar. I'm a long time Android and Google user, but have never seen SMARTIO before. Can anyone tell me what this is and why I need it? I don't see away to delete it out. Note that this is my first samsung phone. Ive not seen this before on android devices (phones or tablets). Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
Welcome.

A new, unused device? Not carrier-locked? Bought from a reputable source?

The stock Samsung app for data transfer is Smart Switch.

Kahuna130

Nov 30, 2020
Visit site
This is a new unlocked phone purchased from Samsung running Samsung version of Android 10.. I was wondering if it might have something to do with Smart Switch. Ultimately I would like to make it go away and if I can't do that understand what its function is and how to properly use it or disable it.

Last edited:

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! SmartIO is a phone transfer solution: https://www.smartioapp.com/. It might be something your workplace uses (I'm assuming you've connected your phone to a work account since you're using Google Workspace, unless this is your own business).

Kahuna130

Nov 30, 2020
Visit site
Correct, I have connected my phone to work G Suite account. To my knowledge we do not use any syncing software. That said I am working for a very small company that has limited technology and I would be surprised if we invested in syncing software. Also I should mention that on my prior phone, a OnePlus 6t, I did not see the smart IO as another account on my calendar. The OnePlus phone was connected to G Suite using the Gmail application. thanks

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
It's still worth checking with your IT person if they might have started using SmartIO recently.

In the meantime, open your Google Calendar app, go to its settings, then see where SmartIO shows up. Is it under your Gmail address, or is it listed separately? Tap it and see if you can turn off its Sync toggle.

Kahuna130

Nov 30, 2020
Visit site
I have confirmed that we do not use SmartIO at work. I have also deleted and reinstalled accounts in question and Google Calendar have have the same results.

Looking in the Google Calendar app/settings SmartIO does appear under the list of accounts but I see no way to remove the entries. I do not have SmartIO installed on the phone. Scratching my head on this one....

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I have confirmed that we do not use SmartIO at work. I have also deleted and reinstalled accounts in question and Google Calendar have have the same results.

Looking in the Google Calendar app/settings SmartIO does appear under the list of accounts but I see no way to remove the entries. I do not have SmartIO installed on the phone. Scratching my head on this one....
If you go to settings >accounts does it show up there?

Edit : have you shared calendar with anyone?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
It may be worth contacting Samsung and asking if this is a normal or not. In the meantime, consider doing a full factory reset and set the phone back up again.

Kahuna130

Nov 30, 2020
Visit site
No I don't think that's the issue. I had linked these calendars a long time ago, well before I got the new phone. On the old phone smart IO never appeared. So this is a new behavior that began with the Samsung s20 Fe.

Take a look at the attached screenshot.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201130-065314_Calendar~3.jpg
    Screenshot_20201130-065314_Calendar~3.jpg
    116 KB · Views: 6

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
No I don't think that's the issue. I had linked these calendars a long time ago, well before I got the new phone. On the old phone smart IO never appeared. So this is a new behavior that began with the Samsung s20 Fe.

Take a look at the attached screenshot.
Ok , now if you swipe down on your notification panel and tap gear icon and get into settings, go to accounts and see if that name is there also ?

mot427

Jun 10, 2021
Visit site
I was configuring a new Android phone over the weekend ( Samsung s20 Fe) and when configuring email accounts that operate on Gmail mail G Suite saw that for each of the 3 accounts that I configured there is now a corresponding SMARTIO account under Google Calendar. I'm a long time Android and Google user, but have never seen SMARTIO before. Can anyone tell me what this is and why I need it? I don't see away to delete it out. Note that this is my first samsung phone. Ive not seen this before on android devices (phones or tablets). Thanks in advance!

Hey. Hope I am not too late but I figured out what it was and how to delete it. I used a 3rd party data transfer tool called "Smart Transfer: File Sharing App" by Aomata LLC (which had very high ratings) and they synced my google calendar data (and resent a bunch of calendar invites to the wrong people and botched the events). I too noticed I couldn't remove the SmartIO stuff and so I ended up searching where system level calendar info was stored and deleted the data. Steps:

1. Open Settings
2. Go to Apps
3. Show all apps
4. Show system apps
5. Select Calendar Storage
6. Select "Storage & cache" (or similar phrasing)
7. Clear all DATA

That worked for me. I also needed to go thru a few of my actual gmail synced events and make sure nothing got crossed up (some did). Anyways. I hope this was helpful.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
knowledge is power