S20+ screen freezing/locking up after Android 11 and December update

justafew

Jul 21, 2012
Visit site
I have an AT&T S20+ and recently updated to Android 11 and then earlier this week, I received the December update.

When using Google Maps navigation (only during actual navigation), YouTube, Netflix and Amazon Prime Video (only when playing a video), my screen appears to lock and none of the swipe navigation buttons respond (back, recent, home) so I can't close the app or do anything else. However, the video or navigation continues to play.

I can still swipe down on my notification panel, but when I click any notifications or the Setting button, long-press wifi, etc - it's unresponsive and goes back to the prior screen (maps navigation or the video that is playing). What's odd is that I can also still do scrolling within YouTube and even choose a different video. I just have no way to go back or shut down the app, although for Maps I was able to successfully click the Exit Navigation button in the notification panel. My only option is to shut down the entire phone and restart.

I've shut down, cleared cache partition and even tried rebooting in Safe Mode, but it still freezes the device up when using Maps navigation, etc. I even moved back to standard display (vs 120hz) just looking for something that might fix it.

I found a Samsung Support site where others are having a similar issue since Android 11. One of them reported wiping the device and still having the issue, so that makes me worried that may not resolve it. But I'm stumped and think that's my only recourse at this point.

I haven't encountered it using texting, phone, email, camera, Chrome, Facebook, Apple Music, etc. Also doesn't seem to be an issue with HBO Max or Disney+. Which makes this even more odd....

See video for an example of this locking up during YouTube playback.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/Q9jJEBfWmZnqH7PSA

J Dubbs

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
You might want to wait it out a little and see if Samsung patches it..... especially if it's a prevalent bug.

justafew

Jul 21, 2012
Visit site
So after a lot of investigation, I have finally uncovered the actual root cause of this bug. It appears to be specific to Android Enterprise.

I ended up wiping my device two times and each time I still had the same issue. My device is from my work and requires Android Enterprise to access work email, etc.

However, on a whim I wiped it once more and this time just set it up w/o Enterprise out of curiosity. And what do you know - no issue!! But because of this, I was able to figure out what was happening.

With it set up w/o Android Enterprise, during Maps navigation when I clicked on Home, Recent or Back it would go into Picture-in-Picture mode and minimize into a small square in the bottom right. The same thing for YouTube, Prime Video, Netflix, which utilize PIP. Seeing the little PIP made me realize that was what was happening - when setup with Android Enterprise, it was trying to go into PIP mode but not successfully and the result is what you see in the video.

Sure enough, when I wiped it again and went back into Android Enterprise, the issue immediately presented itself when using Maps Navigation. The screen that presents itself after clicking on Home looks exactly what the small PIP would look like but it fills the whole screen.

Very strange, but at least I've narrowed down the cause and I found a work-around which is to go into Special Access-Picture-in-Picture and turn it off for Maps, YouTube, etc. While not ideal, but since it doesn't work anyway it's better to turn it off until there is an actual fix.

Anyone know where I can report this issue for Android Enterprise? Not sure if there is a special place for Google to report Enterprise issues.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty