Weird notification problem s20 plus

jace1969

Sep 6, 2015
Visit site
I did put one on a while ago with the same problem but done some checks and this is a bit different.
If my phone is just left turned on (no always on display) just a blank screen.
I get a notification i get no sound or anything from (ebay/amazon/e-mail/and other apps) but works on phone calls and text message.
...But if i pick up the phone and the screen lights up (it is still locked) just screen on i get all of them come through.
No app is causing a problem i can see and it did the same on s10 and friends s10 plus but my iphone is spot on just notification and screen lights up and thats an old iphone 6s.
I do hope some one can help as im missing so many things off emails or say delivery times off ebay/amazon and other stuff.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Hi, go to settings>advanced>motion and gestures
Play with double tap or lift settings , maybe turn off and see if it works ?

Screenshot_20210108-093358_Settings.jpeg

VidJunky

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
This is one of two issues. I started having similar issues after the update to Android 11 on my S20+. The first issue is Android 11 or One UI started putting all of my apps to sleep. The issue you're describing fits this perfectly. When the screen is awake everything works but if the screen goes to sleep everything that is in the sleep category also stops. Check Settings>Battery and device care>Battery>Background usage limits>Sleeping apps and Deep sleeping apps. If you find the apps that are causing you issues in either of these lists remove it and things should return to normal. I had a ton of apps show up in this list after the update so go through both lists carefully.

The other issue I ran into was my email stopped syncing. I had to go into my email app, Samsung Email, and turn sync on for all of my accounts. I don't know if other email apps are affected by this and I don't understand why the Samsung app would be affected but if there is anything else you've noticed that has stopped giving you notifications check within the app itself if it is still set to sync. My main Account page in phone Settings showed all of my accounts and everything being sync'd but in the app itself the settings had changed.

jace1969

Sep 6, 2015
Visit site
Mustang...........I have now turned all these off as it did have the double tap ones on the both of them and alert when phone is picked up.

Vid..................The battery app items are all off with 0 by the side of the 3 setting (deep sleeping etc) as i never had this on.

..Thanks a lot i will see how this goes.

VidJunky

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
I'm not quite following your reply. If you go to the screen below and the apps are listed they should be removed. It's not an on or off thing. Screenshot_20210109-043523_Device%20care~3.jpeg

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Mustang...........I have now turned all these off as it did have the double tap ones on the both of them and alert when phone is picked up.

Vid..................The battery app items are all off with 0 by the side of the 3 setting (deep sleeping etc) as i never had this on.

..Thanks a lot i will see how this goes.
Ok , keep us posted!

jace1969

Sep 6, 2015
Visit site
Hi.......vidjunky.........background usage limit is off so ....sleeping apps/deep sleeping apps/never sleeping apps is all 0 and ''put apps to sleep'' is off and power saving mode is off.

Here we go......it still does the same problem and this is what i have tried,done what ...Vid said which was already done,turned all the motions and gestures off,turned AOD off,reset the phone (not deleted stuff just off/on) removed the weather widget which was on my screen,checked all apps to recieve notifications even in there own setting like Amazon and still the same,the phone can be sitting there and iphone 6s will beep and s20plus i just leave for 30mins nothing and lift it and just light it up not unlock it and i could get loads come through.........these are the main ones.....Amazon/Ebay/Gmail...and the thing is some apps will work like bbc news.
Does anyone have this problem as my friend has a s10plus 5g and the same and i do on my old s10.
Is there anyone who can test it from a iphone to a s10/20 side by side,i have not tried on another make android and only found out from charging my old 6s.
Thanks for all your help on this.

jace1969

Sep 6, 2015
Visit site
To add to this as i don't really want to do a full wipe of everything but i was looking at deleting a good amount of apps and writing them down then trying that say leave the main one i use and the stock ones like the Google/microsoft/samsung ones and trying that.

jace1969

Sep 6, 2015
Visit site
I have started today with 7 apps gone and then if it works i will work back to install them 1 by 1.
I have to solve this as its doing my head in when i pick the phone up and anything from 1 to 5 or so notifications waiting to come through.

jace1969

Sep 6, 2015
Visit site
Update..........I have still not solved this its just hit and miss like sometimes it won’t work at all and the ones that does this are (email/ebay/amazon) the main 3 and i have deleted a nice few apps so left with around 10 apps left on the phone,deleted a good 14 apps.
I read a lot about this is a big problem with some samsung phones mainly S10 S20 i have heard of as my friend has the same, slow or no Notifications from a lot of Apps.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Update..........I have still not solved this its just hit and miss like sometimes it won’t work at all and the ones that does this are (email/ebay/amazon) the main 3 and i have deleted a nice few apps so left with around 10 apps left on the phone,deleted a good 14 apps.
I read a lot about this is a big problem with some samsung phones mainly S10 S20 i have heard of as my friend has the same, slow or no Notifications from a lot of Apps.
In device care turn on enhanced processing see if that helps Screenshot_20210131-112553_Device%20care.jpg

jace1969

Sep 6, 2015
Visit site
Hi
I have just turned that on,my only other very last option is a complete wipe of all back to default with only putting ebay/amazon/Gmail back in.
I dont realy want to do that but have no option.
I have read about this being a software problem on mainly Samsung phones,has anyone 2 phones side by side like i have done.

jace1969

Sep 6, 2015
Visit site
No joy and thanks for people trying to help.
Im going to set my S10 back up and then put the S20 plus back to if you just brought it delete it all the n just add google play and sign in and 2 apps Ebay/Amazon and my contacts and if it still does it then its a samsung issue as i said i have read about it online and also my S10 and friends S10 plus has the same.

jace1969

Sep 6, 2015
Visit site
Update on this problem,i reset my s20+5g and only put in about 4 main apps i use but the same problem off and on ,sometimes works A1 sometimes not and when i pick up phone and the screen comes on (not unlock) i get them there waiting and they come through.
I have just got me a very cheap spare phone the Moto G8 Power so will see how that goes on side by side and what a great phone for a very chap price,ok its far from a S20+5g but its amazing whats on it for so cheat.
I will see how things work,just 1 thing if it can happen could my virgin hub block some or delay them if on WiFi or play up if on WiFi/4G as i do suffer from low signal in the house.
Thanks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance