1. RandleBuckman87's Avatar
    Hi everyone!

    Long time lurker, First time poster!

    I've recently switch from an old iPhone (I know, before you even say anything)
    and I've got my hands on a second hand S20 Ultra, it was my bosses old phone.

    He mentioned about ultra fast charging and I've seen some on Amazon, but I'm not sure what's the best so I thought I'd ask you guys!

    Any help would be appreciated!

    - Randle
    Morty2264 likes this.
    01-08-2021 07:30 AM
  2. N4Newbie's Avatar
    Hi everyone!

    Long time lurker, First time poster!

    I've recently switch from an old iPhone (I know, before you even say anything)
    and I've got my hands on a second hand S20 Ultra, it was my bosses old phone.

    He mentioned about ultra fast charging and I've seen some on Amazon, but I'm not sure what's the best so I thought I'd ask you guys!

    Any help would be appreciated!

    - Randle
    The best charger is the one that came with the phone.

    If it is not available, or if you need an additional charger, the best is the one sold by the phone manufacturer.

    Other than that, you take your chances. Are you looking for a wall charger or one for the car?
    01-08-2021 10:25 AM
  3. VidJunky's Avatar
    I'm not quite as cynical as N4Newbie but the best charger is usually the one supplied by the MFGer. Unlike Apple with their iPhones Samsung does include a beefed up charger with their devices. So you're not getting a wimpy 5W charger for a device that can accept 15 or 20. Where N4Newbie and I differ is I'm all about not paying the exorbitant price for OEM equipment from the MFGer or carrier. If you take your time and do your research there are several good chargers out there. Read reviews, read reviews, read reviews and don't go for the cheapest thing you can find. Reading the low rated reviews will often tell you everything you need to know. The top rated reviews we already know what they say, I love it, it was great, just what I needed, on and on. The low rated reviews give you a better picture of what you're getting. It didn't work for my XYZ phone, it still took 4 hours to charge, I found my device getting hot if I was using it and charging at the same time, it broke two weeks after getting it... If you start seeing multiples of the same complaint that's a red flag. One off issues, things you only see in one person's review, can sometimes be dismissed but seeing the same complaint from different people is a good sign it's a real issue. If there are a lot of low ratings that's a flag too.

    Best wishes with your new device. Hope to see you with a few more posts under your avatar in the future.
    RandleBuckman87 likes this.
    01-09-2021 01:51 AM
  4. mlblack16's Avatar
    Hi everyone!

    Long time lurker, First time poster!

    I've recently switch from an old iPhone (I know, before you even say anything)
    and I've got my hands on a second hand S20 Ultra, it was my bosses old phone.

    He mentioned about ultra fast charging and I've seen some on Amazon, but I'm not sure what's the best so I thought I'd ask you guys!

    Any help would be appreciated!

    - Randle
    Just be aware that the super fast chargers will charge rapidly up to 70% and then the phone should downregulate the remaining 30% to prevent damage. Samsung's 45W charger will do that, but if you're wanting to charge all the way to 100% the time difference ends up being like 7 minutes vs 25W charger that came with your device.

    If you find a charger that somehow states it will continue charging at that speed all the way to 100% either it's inaccurate claim or, if it could, I'd be afraid of damaging your battery.
    VidJunky and RandleBuckman87 like this.
    01-09-2021 08:54 AM
  5. RandleBuckman87's Avatar
    Thanks for the reply, he said that the charger that came with it isn't an Ultra Fast Charger. I'll be using this phone a lot when I'm out fishing as I like to take a lot of pictures (camera is incredible) and for work. I currently have an Elecjet Car Charger which does fast charging, they do a 45W charger also but I was going to what the experts suggest.
    01-12-2021 08:40 AM
  6. RandleBuckman87's Avatar
    Just be aware that the super fast chargers will charge rapidly up to 70% and then the phone should downregulate the remaining 30% to prevent damage. Samsung's 45W charger will do that, but if you're wanting to charge all the way to 100% the time difference ends up being like 7 minutes vs 25W charger that came with your device.

    If you find a charger that somehow states it will continue charging at that speed all the way to 100% either it's inaccurate claim or, if it could, I'd be afraid of damaging your battery.
    That does make sense, I have a Ultra Fast car charger that does it up to 70% really quick. Do you use the standard block that came with the phone or do you use a different adaptor?
    01-12-2021 08:44 AM
  7. mlblack16's Avatar
    That does make sense, I have a Ultra Fast car charger that does it up to 70% really quick. Do you use the standard block that came with the phone or do you use a different adaptor?
    I use the charger that came with the S20U. I watched a review on the higher watt vs standard samsung chargers by Flossy Carter on YouTube and decided it wasn't worth the slight total charge advantage.

    I've always been a fill my gas tank all the way up kinda guy, and I guess that goes the same for my phones.
    RandleBuckman87 likes this.
    01-12-2021 07:45 PM
  8. Mooncatt's Avatar
    ...they do a 45W charger also but I was going to what the experts suggest.
    Keep in mind, Samsung doesn't use the standard power delivery protocols, so most third party chargers are not compatible. If you do decide on a 45W charger, make sure it is compatible with Programmable Power Supply (PPS). PPS can output the 10V @ 4.5A that Samsung uses. The typical 15V @ 3A output capable 45W charger will not give you the full rate. You'll be limited to something like 15W.
    Laura Knotek and KPMcClave like this.
    01-12-2021 08:58 PM
  9. Morty2264's Avatar
    Welcome to Android Central! We are glad that you are here! And don't worry - we have a lot of iPhone to Android users here (and vice versa)! You'll fit right in!

    As the others have said above, I too agree with the fact that the charger that came with your phone will be the one best suited to charge it. I usually try and stick with my Samsung charger whenever I need to charge my S10.

    Hope you enjoy your S20 Ultra!
    01-12-2021 09:29 PM
  10. Rose4uKY's Avatar
    Well I posted about chargers in the S10 thread. We are pre-ordering the S21 Ultra and it won't come with a charger. We have 3 or 4 laying around the house from other phones and from these Dex's we got with one of our phones. My husband said were fine using those 15W but the Ultra will support 45W supposedly. But I read 25 is plenty all you need. I am reading reviews now on 25W on Amazon and see a 2 pack for $17.99. People say your phone will show super fast charging instead of fast charging. Some people say Samsung only and some say others are ok. But I read and heard on here not much difference from 25 to 45 to just get 25. And than someone else talked about how at 70% if quits super fast charging. I'm still on the fence about getting one but I am tempted to try this 2 pack for $17.99.
    01-13-2021 10:43 AM
  11. kjjb0204's Avatar
    Wow, you're getting some conflicting answers here from the "experts". I use Anker chargers and my phone always displays Fast Charging and it charges wicked fast. You don't need a Samsung charger to get fast charging.
    01-13-2021 11:28 AM
  12. Rose4uKY's Avatar
    Just be aware that the super fast chargers will charge rapidly up to 70% and then the phone should downregulate the remaining 30% to prevent damage. Samsung's 45W charger will do that, but if you're wanting to charge all the way to 100% the time difference ends up being like 7 minutes vs 25W charger that came with your device.

    If you find a charger that somehow states it will continue charging at that speed all the way to 100% either it's inaccurate claim or, if it could, I'd be afraid of damaging your battery.

    Ok Thanks! the 25W isn't coming with our devices we're getting no charger at all with the S21 but have several 15W ones and I didn't know if it was worth getting 25 watt and how much difference it would be from what we have. Several people have said get 25 you don't need 45. And I am still leary about generic ones over Samsung. Thanks!
    01-13-2021 12:02 PM
  13. Rose4uKY's Avatar
    Wow, you're getting some conflicting answers here from the "experts". I use Anker chargers and my phone always displays Fast Charging and it charges wicked fast. You don't need a Samsung charger to get fast charging.
    Thanks! I have my eye on a 2 pack for $17.99 of 25W chargers on Amazon that got good reviews.
    01-13-2021 12:26 PM
  14. Mooncatt's Avatar
    Thanks! I have my eye on a 2 pack for $17.99 of 25W chargers on Amazon that got good reviews.
    Which brand of chargers?
    01-13-2021 03:53 PM
  15. mlblack16's Avatar
    Wow, you're getting some conflicting answers here from the "experts". I use Anker chargers and my phone always displays Fast Charging and it charges wicked fast. You don't need a Samsung charger to get fast charging.
    It comes down to personal preference. BTW, there are different speeds of charging the latest Samsung phones. There's charging, fast charging , super fast charging (with the stock 25W charger) and super fast charging 2.0 (using Samsung's 45W charger).

    People were asking if it was worth the money buying the 45W charger, and the fact is, they're only effective up to the 70% range (super fast charging 2.0) then they don't charge any faster than super fast charging from 70% - 100%

    Of course you can use non-Samsung chargers which can produce fast charging, but performance can be glitchy, and the 25W that comes with the device is perfectly fine. If I were to lose my 25W charger, I'd buy an identical to replace it, but that's my preference. A friend of mine loves his 45W charger and won't go back to the 25W.

    Signed, one of the "experts" ITT.
    Laura Knotek and Morty2264 like this.
    01-13-2021 06:40 PM
  16. Morty2264's Avatar
    Wow, you're getting some conflicting answers here from the "experts". I use Anker chargers and my phone always displays Fast Charging and it charges wicked fast. You don't need a Samsung charger to get fast charging.
    Battery usage itself is so unique between users, which makes giving advice and/or suggestions with regards to battery life very subjective. Everyone has different ideas of what constitutes "effective" charging.

    How long does a phone stay on the charger? At what percentage do you unplug? Do you use the charger that comes with the phone? Do you using power-hungry apps? All of these questions are subjective and since they vary for everyone, it's difficult to give a size-fits-all answer that will work for everyone.

    Most of us wouldn't say we're "experts", either!
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    01-13-2021 08:47 PM
  17. kjjb0204's Avatar
    Most of us wouldn't say we're "experts", either!
    Yeah, I don't know why I said that. In a salty mood I guess.
    01-13-2021 08:52 PM
  18. Rose4uKY's Avatar
    Which brand of chargers?
    Actually I don't remember It was an off-brand I'd have to go through my computer's history cuz I'm on my phone right now in bed.
    01-14-2021 01:54 AM
  19. RandleBuckman87's Avatar
    Hey everyone,

    I went onto Amazon and got the same brand as my car charger. ELECJET is the brand, the car charger has never failed me and they do an Ultra Fast Charge PPS adapter. It's also Amazons choice for S20 ultra fast charger (I dont know if Amazons choice actually means anything though) but yeah, I'll have a get back to you guys and let you know.

    Thank you "experts"

    https://www.amazon.co.uk/ELECJET-45W...cUvbUpU6908553
    01-14-2021 06:32 AM
  20. RandleBuckman87's Avatar
    Welcome to Android Central! We are glad that you are here! And don't worry - we have a lot of iPhone to Android users here (and vice versa)! You'll fit right in!

    As the others have said above, I too agree with the fact that the charger that came with your phone will be the one best suited to charge it. I usually try and stick with my Samsung charger whenever I need to charge my S10.

    Hope you enjoy your S20 Ultra!
    Thank you for the warm welcome, it's very much appreciated it!

    I'd take your advice if the charger he gave me wasn't so banged up, he had it in his work van mainly and it's just all battered and bruised.
    I chose a charger replacement for now, hopefully it serves me well!
    Morty2264 likes this.
    01-14-2021 06:36 AM
  21. RandleBuckman87's Avatar
    Yeah, I don't know why I said that. In a salty mood I guess.
    Experts compared to what I know, I wasn't really into phones as much as I am now. And sadly before it was iPhones!
    kjjb0204 likes this.
    01-14-2021 06:36 AM
  22. Morty2264's Avatar
    Thank you for the warm welcome, it's very much appreciated it!

    I'd take your advice if the charger he gave me wasn't so banged up, he had it in his work van mainly and it's just all battered and bruised.
    I chose a charger replacement for now, hopefully it serves me well!
    You're welcome! Hope you enjoy your phone and your time around the forums! Let us know how your replacement charger fares!
    01-14-2021 09:53 PM

Similar Threads

  1. why would my phone drain to 0 overnight?
    By ansa82 in forum Samsung Galaxy Note 20 & Note 20 Ultra
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 01-09-2021, 09:16 PM
  2. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-08-2021, 01:10 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD