Gallery OneDrive Sync + Google Backup Questions

michail71

Feb 6, 2016
Visit site
So I've migrated over to OneDrive when setting up the new phone. One issue I'm dealing with is how to handle the duplication that has occurred from also using the OneDrive sync. Fixing that will depend on how I decide to configure this going forward.

1. Does the Gallery sync support a remote storage option? I'm suspecting not since it doesn't seem to have a save space option like Google Photos.
  2. If I remove local files in Google Photos, would that trigger a deletion to occur in the OneDrive backup?

I've got a terabyte plan for OneDrive. So the space isn't an issue so much as all the gallery views and albums being duplicated.

michail71

Feb 6, 2016
Visit site
I've noticed a couple issues with the OneDrive Backup sync.

1. The process that transferred the data from Samsung Cloud to OneDrive did not maintain the original created by dates and last modified dates. OneDrive supports this so it must have been the cloud transfer.
  2. Some of the folders are now duplicated albums in the Gallery app. I think the local folder on the phone isn't matching back to the one in OneDrive and that makes it duplicate.

I'm wondering if I should just delete the cloud sync and let the phone back itself up from scratch. All the dates are correct internally on the phone.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
For #2 in the second post, the "album" name is the name of the last folder in the path, so it's entirely possible to have more than 1 "album" with the same name but different pictures.

michail71

Feb 6, 2016
Visit site
I got into the file system and found some things going on. There was a migration folder in the root that had copies of most of the other media folders. Inside that one the Date Created and the Date Modified stamps were both changed to the current date. This caused both the duplicate albums to show and all these other files to randomly show as the current date in the timeline.

Next I have to tackle OneDrive. I have a dilemma in that the Samsung backup in OneDrive basically mirrors the phone. The OneDrive backup from the OneDrive app is not connected to the phone directly and flattens the folder structure. So on the OneDrive app I get a true archived backup. On the Samsung side, it seems to sync the deletes.

So ideally, I'd like to keep both, one as the phone backup and the other for the backup and OneDirve photo stream. Problem there is I can't seem to block the Samsung folder from the photo stream.

michail71

Feb 6, 2016
Visit site
I just got off with cloud support and was told there is no solution, not even deleting my account and recreating from scratch on the old phone would work. May need to scrap gallery backup and stick with google. The migration overwrote the creation date and the modified dates of all the files.

Samsung sync only overwrote the created dates, so the files aren't too messed up on the new phone. Most views use the modified date when there is no exif.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12