Why is my S20 doing this?!!!!

Chris9181

Oct 12, 2018
Visit site
Hi,

This is driving me mad if somebody can help please? I'm using stock S20 and set up 2 contacts for my Dad, Dad Mobile and Dad Landline.

Even if I select Dad Landline, it calls the mobile!!!

If I ignore contacts and just dial his landline on the phone keypad it now dials his mobile!!

Any thoughts please as driving me crazy.

Thanks
Chris

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Do you mean that if you manually dial the landline number, it still calls his mobile? Does your father use Google Voice?

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Can you tell me how to do that please? I set up two contracts (mobile and landline) as I couldn't see how to add more than one number to a contract
Hi, sure , go to contact app (I use Google backup)
Tap on that contact then choose edit , you option for home,office,mobile and put each number in there category when you choose to call the name it should ask do you want this number you just called as default , try it out let me know.

Edit : default you can choose more at the bottom when you open the contact next to share

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Hi, sure , go to contact app (I use Google backup)
Tap on that contact then choose edit , you option for home,office,mobile and put each number in there category when you choose to call the name it should ask do you want this number you just called as default , try it out let me know.

Edit : default you can choose more at the bottom when you open the contact next to share

It sounds like the OP is actually manually dialing his father's landline number in the dialer, rather than trying to make the call through the Contacts app. This makes me think there's an issue with his father's number, rather than the OP's phone.

@Chris9181, which carrier is your father on? If he's on T-Mobile, does he use their DIGITS service?

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
It sounds like the OP is actually manually dialing his father's landline number in the dialer, rather than trying to make the call through the Contacts app. This makes me think there's an issue with his father's number, rather than the OP's phone.

@Chris9181, which carrier is your father on? If he's on T-Mobile, does he use their DIGITS service?
Yeah but if that name associated with 2 numbers ,one u can have as default for either cell or landline

justafew

Jul 21, 2012
Visit site
If they put the number say dad in dialer it should pick the default number or give options which to pick

This line from the OP makes me wonder if it is his/her phone at all or something else.

"If I ignore contacts and just dial his landline on the phone keypad it now dials his mobile!!"

That doesn't make any sense unless something is forwarding - or no offense, the OP has the numbers reversed in his/her head :). An idea would be to try dialing the dad's landline from another phone and see which phone it goes to.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
This line from the OP makes me wonder if it is his/her phone at all or something else.

"If I ignore contacts and just dial his landline on the phone keypad it now dials his mobile!!"

That doesn't make any sense unless something is forwarding - or no offense, the OP has the numbers reversed in his/her head :). An idea would be to try dialing the dad's landline from another phone and see which phone it goes to.
Yeah true , need more details from OP

KPMcClave

May 16, 2013
Visit site

He also has two separate contacts for Dad, not the two numbers under one contact. My guess is that it's some sort of glitch with the Contacts app not being able to tell the difference...although, yes, it should be able to when he actually dials manually. Think of when you start dialing a number and your saved contacts with those digits start popping up. I figure there's something wonky there.