New s20 FE - questions

notacoach

Sep 15, 2016
Visit site
Arriving next week.

One of the things I use all the time on my LG is the double tap to wake the screen. I thought that was an LG thing but just read Samsung does thst too now? I will be soooo happy, as I use that all the time!!!

Next up: is there a sound recorder available that will let you disable limiting and adjust gain? This single feature was the main reason I jumped to LG in the first place (I'm a musician), and not sure if there are any independent apps out there to assist (or if Samsung will even let you control the hardware to that extent).

Thanks in advance! Looking forward to receiving it, although kinda sad LG has jumped ship - I've really liked both of my V series phones.

joeldf

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
For the double-tap feature... "Settings" > "Advanced features" (about 2/3rd the way down) > "Motion and gestures" > there are two related options with on/off switches - "Double tap to turn on screen" and "Double tap to turn off screen".

My previous S9 and S8 had the option to just press on the bottom of the screen to turn it on, but the S20 FE does not have that option so I tried the double-tap option. Unfortunately, it's not very responsive. I found myself getting frustrated at the thing not always responding. Maybe I tapped too fast, so I try slower and still no response, but after a couple more taps it finally wakes up. I ended up turning that option off and just use the side lock button to unlock it. I miss the S8/S9 screen press option. Maybe the regular S10/S20/S21 still has that option.

Someone else will have to chime in about the recording options. I don't use it, but I don't think the stock recorder is that customizable.

notacoach

Sep 15, 2016
Visit site
Thanks!

Double tap and the S view case are great. Other than that, not a good start. I'm remembering why I've always gone for the less favored brands. Samsung has become nearly as vanilla and pushy as Apple.

1. How do I have NO wallpaper? Not a different one, just a plain background?

2. I've figured out how to disable that horrible "Samsung Free" bloatware, but can I use that screen for something else?

3. Buds Live are great, but there seems to be something wrong with the right one - it's about 25% the volume of the left. Send them back or is this a known issue with a fix?

Halllllpppp....

notacoach

Sep 15, 2016
Visit site
OK, getting there. Slowly. Lol

Solved the background problem. (why don't they just let you have a plain color without having to download something?!), and have finally got the right earbud balanced up.

Next challenge: one of my watch faces (the one I actually use, of course) didn't transfer, and now I can't find it... Any way of moving it manually? It's still showing in Wear on the old phone.

I'm still kind of lamenting not getting the Note, but I just can't see spending an extra $300 for a pen (and no SD slot) so I guess this is where I land for now.

To be honest, I'm more excited by the Buds live than the phone now they're working right! Sound is great, and sooo much more comfortable. :)

PS anybody here have a preferred launcher? I've never used one before as I liked the HTC and LG ones; the Samsung one is OK now I'm finding my way around it, but it's less intuitive for me and I'd like to change a few things.

PPS. I really do love the Sview case :)

PPPS Edge dock thingie FTW. Even better than the LG 2nd screen.

Now I have to figure out Dex....

Last edited:

joeldf

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
I can chime back in on just a couple of those things.

For a plain background, the launcher has to show something. Easiest would have been to create a solid color image of your choosing and save as an image in whatever paint program you may have on your PC, then just copy it over to your phone, and set your background to that. I know you ended up downloading something, but really, there's nothing special about what the image has to be.

For the launcher, I use Nova. I've tried a few others but I just like Nova best. I don't like how Samsung forces those rounded ("squircle") icon boxes, or how it's stuck with that red-orange icon notification badge. Nova let's you set the color and has 3 sizes to chose from. Among many other settings.

notacoach

Sep 15, 2016
Visit site
Thank you again! I appreciate it.

I'm just baffled why something as simple as "no wallpaper" isn't included - I couldn't find any way to simply turn it off. Sure, I could make something, but no phone I've ever had made me do that - there was always a default "plain" you could choose.

I'm starting to enjoy discovering the fun stuff it can do now I've got past the basics and can find my essentials. I knew I'd hate switching brand ui, but this was a little bumpier than expected!

Last edited:

notacoach

Sep 15, 2016
Visit site
Omg. I just learned I can use a 3rd party stylus/pen in the Notes app?? That is the feature I've wanted - I can do without the Spen extras if I can write on screen!

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrisBowles513