google mesh home system wifi switching location on phone can't stop

y2jman

Apr 28, 2011
Visit site
1st off i don't know is this right thread or not if not please movie it correct thread

so long story short back on 9th power went on and off when came back online somehow netgear lost connection upstairs aka fried so parents couldn't use wifi can't watch like netflix

back downstairs on my end everything is good on my netgear router next day cable man came he said try go give router upstairs juice but light went back down he decided to swarp my old modem to aries 8-0 pm everything good on my end

my dad was trying to figure out want to get another netgear upstairs or get mesh home system wifi thing of course didn't have 200 on him

that night while i was sweeping computer the network cable which already broken snap thing came unplug so all night long had no internet

2nd man came yesterday he knew problem was told my dad before he put in extended network, my brother shows up

he did have mesh system home wifi 3 of those hook up 1 in my room the office upstairs and my parent's room

basincally now using only 1 wifi however because my brother setup from his house, i notice last night now my location is switching back and forth where he lives and mine in maps

like when search google chrome browser on phone it sometime show his city and then mine same thing check in facebook

i always have location accracy turn on never turned off<-i know if i turn off my city will not change but i don't want to do that

thus driving me nuts and i cannot stop this i don't know something he can do on his end or am i i going to have to suffer now on

i haven't been in town as of yet so i don't know if location will change his city and mine time to time or not but is doing it home wifi

i'm sure somebody in here has a mesh whole system wifi thing and prob can maybe give me tips onto how to stop location switching on phone to stay in my city for good

KruseLudsMobile

Jun 14, 2012
Visit site
1st off i don't know is this right thread or not if not please movie it correct thread

so long story short back on 9th power went on and off when came back online somehow netgear lost connection upstairs aka fried so parents couldn't use wifi can't watch like netflix

back downstairs on my end everything is good on my netgear router next day cable man came he said try go give router upstairs juice but light went back down he decided to swarp my old modem to aries 8-0 pm everything good on my end

my dad was trying to figure out want to get another netgear upstairs or get mesh home system wifi thing of course didn't have 200 on him

that night while i was sweeping computer the network cable which already broken snap thing came unplug so all night long had no internet

2nd man came yesterday he knew problem was told my dad before he put in extended network, my brother shows up

he did have mesh system home wifi 3 of those hook up 1 in my room the office upstairs and my parent's room

basincally now using only 1 wifi however because my brother setup from his house, i notice last night now my location is switching back and forth where he lives and mine in maps

like when search google chrome browser on phone it sometime show his city and then mine same thing check in facebook

i always have location accracy turn on never turned off<-i know if i turn off my city will not change but i don't want to do that

thus driving me nuts and i cannot stop this i don't know something he can do on his end or am i i going to have to suffer now on

i haven't been in town as of yet so i don't know if location will change his city and mine time to time or not but is doing it home wifi

i'm sure somebody in here has a mesh whole system wifi thing and prob can maybe give me tips onto how to stop location switching on phone to stay in my city for good
This only indirectly solves your problem. I stall and set up this app on your phone to stop it from switching WiFi so much:

SmartWiFiSelector

Good luck on your other networking issues

y2jman

Apr 28, 2011
Visit site
so i have to install google mesh app and set it home wifi will that reset the mesh and knock off the 2 other mess offline nobody have internet?

i really have no clue what app to download and how to go though with this process so i guess my brother just need to come back reconfigure setup again at my house perhaps if come back up here father day i don't know

so that it will no longer switch over to his city and mine ever few mins location will finally stay in my city

Last edited:

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
What do you mean that your brother setup from his house? Are you saying your brother lives in a different house but somehow uses your home wi-fi network? Does he live next door?

Are you using a VPN?

y2jman

Apr 28, 2011
Visit site
he lives in franklin tenn i live in a different city he got all computer's hook up 1 of those it computer guys he set's up the wifi and stuff he did tell me in text message that he configure it at his house when where he live at when he sat it up bring to my house

i did text message him few mins telling him he needs to come back up reconfigure to my location instead his city so when i look at location on phone it won't bounce back and froth his to mine every few mins and when correct it will finally stop and show my city just not sure when he will do it i think coming up for a meeting tues not sure come back up father's day or not

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Are you certain you're logged in with your Google account, and not with your brother's Google account?

No VPN?

y2jman

Apr 28, 2011
Visit site
no vpn i notice it change to his city when i was in chrome browser saw not my zip code but his then click on maps saw his then 5 mins later switches back to my city this was when he left went back home i'm not a fan of this he did it on his account not mine he must had google home app or something like that on his iphone

now like i said if netgear router didn't go out when power went on and off back on 9th messing it up upstairs keep in mind my netgear router was fine downstairs despite broken network cord that guy put in extension due to snap thing and it fell out router friday night

i would still be using my netgear router however netgear router upstairs was toast and my brother instead getting another netgear router upstairs got that google mesh home wifi system 3 pack i think he had a spare at his house so that everybody can used 1 wifi instead differrent wifi's around the house which basically same wifi i always been using

wifi upstairs used to say upstairs slow that they used wifi phone and devices like roku and tv

now why did he configure/setup at his house instead ours yesterday afternoon i don't know i didn't think because he did that it will impact the location switching back and forth his city to mine on my phone which driving me crazy and i can't stop it when location accuracy is turn on which always been btw

Last edited:

KruseLudsMobile

Jun 14, 2012
Visit site
so i have to install google mesh app and set it home wifi will that reset the mesh and knock off the 2 other mess offline nobody have internet?

i really have no clue what app to download and how to go though with this process so i guess my brother just need to come back reconfigure setup again at my house perhaps if come back up here father day i don't know

so that it will no longer switch over to his city and mine ever few mins location will finally stay in my city

No, that is not what I said at all. What does that have to do with my suggestion to you about SmartWiFiSelector?

KruseLudsMobile

Jun 14, 2012
Visit site
he lives in franklin tenn i live in a different city he got all computer's hook up 1 of those it computer guys he set's up the wifi and stuff he did tell me in text message that he configure it at his house when where he live at when he sat it up bring to my house

i did text message him few mins telling him he needs to come back up reconfigure to my location instead his city so when i look at location on phone it won't bounce back and froth his to mine every few mins and when correct it will finally stop and show my city just not sure when he will do it i think coming up for a meeting tues not sure come back up father's day or not
SmartWifiSelector

y2jman

Apr 28, 2011
Visit site
Yeaj I'm confused by that not sure that will work or not since already on brother account and using same wifi as his plus already got wifi working yesterday esp parents upstairs since past weds don't want to mess stuff up So my brother saw something home address saying this address will be used for location based features local traffic weather nest aware feature available and presence features like home and away routines
For nest aware users this will determine which features are available and when to send emergency calls only
He put in zip code state where I live at might take few days update
Do you guys think that will work or still city issues in location on my phone when location accuracy is turn on?

Last edited:

y2jman

Apr 28, 2011
Visit site
well if doesn't work he needs to come down reconfigure again to my house not sure that will make it works or not

like i said unless he comes up here sun maybe he can fixed it but if go down to his house going to be awhile surely he will fixed it sometime next month

spARTacus

Sep 9, 2018
Visit site
My recommendation is you throw out all that google mesh stuff and simply buy a few plain old combined router/hub/wifi-access-points, and then hard wire them all together on the same LAN with one of them as the main dchp server/router and then the rest of them as just simple wireless access-points, all with the same Wi-Fi SSID/password.

Last edited:

y2jman

Apr 28, 2011
Visit site
i still got my old router up stairs sitting on kitchen table that was taken out yesterday and cable guy put network extended cord in yesterday when the clip was still broken that fell out router from friday

now i don't know where that new network extended cord is is only reason why did it well mainly due netgear router upstairs got burned out got mess up back on 9th when power went up and down

but upstairs netgear in office always had issues with my mom watching netflix and stuff she even got another roku with wifi 4k which did work but it was still slow my brother knew days was coming and you know my old modem was motorola then cable guy friday night decided to switch that out to aries brother just didn't want my dad just get another netgear router upstairs in office mesh is way to go since everybody using same wifi instead 4 different wifi's

i'm not computer it guy like my brother so i don't know how to do what he does only drawlback he configure/setup it at his house instead of ours when hook up yesterday afternoon

i guess he didn't know when did that location now on everybody phone<-yes does it on my mom iphone as well wants to change his city to mine and vice versa every few mins

not a fan google sometimes getting me his weather instead of mine nor when i go into facebook app click on check in it display's stuff down in franklin and mine when open maps it shows it then few mins later shows my house but won't stay on if location accuracy in google which is always turn off if turn off then it will stay in my city don't switch

so again i don't know what he did this afternoon will fixed it if not i hope he will rest and configure them to our house asap just not sure when to be exact

Last edited:

spARTacus

Sep 9, 2018
Visit site
No idea why any of that would impact your location, unless the googleness of it all is tracking your wifi SSID (your brother's) as matched to your devices' location as part of "wifi assisted location accuracy". Frankly speaking, all of that I try to always leave turned off on my devices, and I also don't trust a router that requires an app or a service account with the router manufacture in order to make it all work, just more personal information you're sending off to the collectors that they don't really need, in my opinion.

y2jman

Apr 28, 2011
Visit site
yeah i really don't get it because he got ever computer setup in our house and when i did have netgear router before took out yesterday i already used the same wifi<-he has in his home and had no issue location was always saying my city of course when i went somewhere out of city like nashville knoxville or to his house for an example it will change to that location but when get home it always change back to my city and location never changed that was normal

this ain't normal i wonder what it will be if do have go to his house sun will it just show franklin only or also my city when i check into facebook for an example again something ain't right he needs to fixed this asap

i just hope it's not going to take a freakin month get it fixed that is

i was wrong btw i was just looking at my mom iphone not affecting her just affecting my s20 plus phone since yesterday after he install it

Last edited:

y2jman

Apr 28, 2011
Visit site
well i just found out that it's not just my phone because i just went facebook log in computer check in and it's showing franklin and my city just like phone then it changed an hour later places change showing places in my city
yeah this isn't good at all now it's doing it on both computer and my phone

Last edited:

spARTacus

Sep 9, 2018
Visit site
Try turning "Wi-Fi assist for location accuracy" off on all your devices.

When you are ready and willing to be without internet for a couple of hours, reset all the google mesh devices back to factory default settings, and then reset/re-install them back up, but don't do that by moving them to your brother's city, don't re-use any of his SSID settings or accounts, and don't use his existing app from one of his devices for the setup.