Color Slightly Washing On Power-On

enjikari

Aug 24, 2021
Visit site
I notice when I restart/turn my phone on, when immediately I get to the Home screen, the colors (especially the icons) are bright, pop-y, vibrant. But within a second or so the colors kinda mellow/wash/yellow out. I can actually watch it happen. It's not a HORRIBLE change, but I see the difference.

What is happening? And how can I stop it? I really, really like the vibrancy of my screens when my phone first powers on, and do not like this "discoloring". Help!!!

VidJunky

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
Since you are able to recreate this effect and have a slight delay before it happens, I would power it down or restart it and immediately go to your Quick Settings menu, if enabled you should be able to see the brightness slider by pulling down your notification shade or you may have to enable it in the phone settings to have it appear there, and watch your brightness slider. See if during the change it shifts noticeably. It kind of sounds like your phone is anticipating a brighter environment and then is actually sensing a darker environment. There are a few reasons this might happen. The first that I can think of would be a dirty screen protector. If the screen protector is raised, lifted and relayed with a little debris under it or the protector has started to yellow with age, it could be enough to play havoc with your light sensor.

With the delayed reaction it could be app related. So some app is dimming the screen and that app wakes up when within a few seconds of the phone starting or the home screen being accessed. Again the fact that you can predict and cause this to occur plays in your favor. Restarting the phone in Safe Mode should count out all apps other than system apps. If it still happens in Safe Mode that points to the device, which could be something with the OS that is being buggy, hardware issues, the sensor, the screen or perhaps the battery. To test the sensor you could hold your thumb over it and see if the screen dims and/or shine a light on it and see if the screen brightens. It would be interesting to know if brightening the screen brings back the colors you're seeing when you first access the home screen?

Let us know what you find and we can go from there.

J Dubbs

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
I notice when I restart/turn my phone on, when immediately I get to the Home screen, the colors (especially the icons) are bright, pop-y, vibrant. But within a second or so the colors kinda mellow/wash/yellow out. I can actually watch it happen. It's not a HORRIBLE change, but I see the difference.

What is happening? And how can I stop it? I really, really like the vibrancy of my screens when my phone first powers on, and do not like this "discoloring". Help!!!

Are you sure you don't have night mode on? I leave night mode on all the time on my tablet, because I use it mostly at night, and that's exactly what it does when it boots up.