"The device has either stopped responding or is disconnected" message keeps showing up.

WarnerYoung

Jan 31, 2011
Visit site
I've never had this problem before, but today, I started getting the "the device has either stopped responding or is disconnected" error. But it only shows up if my phone isn't connected. It just pops up once in a while on its own. Things were working fine until today. Does anyone have any ideas about this? It looks like the message comes from something call SIhost, but that's a system file, so I can't just kill it.

I've tried connecting the phone again, then doing a proper "Eject" on it before disconnecting the USB cable, but that didn't help.

Jell Lee

May 27, 2021
Visit site
re: "The device has either stopped responding or is disconnected" message keeps showing up.

so you are disconnecting the phone from your PC and the error message shows?

did you have an update? wondering if it's a new 'feature' that was added with an update...
otherwise you could ask Samsung by reproducing the issue and submitting error report right after.

WarnerYoung

Jan 31, 2011
Visit site
re: "The device has either stopped responding or is disconnected" message keeps showing up.

No, that's the problem. I can disconnect the phone (unplug) from the computer just fine, and everything seems to be okay. But then a few hours later, or the next day, this error will suddenly pop up. I don't have a reliable way to reproduce the problem yet.

I did get a second September update last week, but the problem only started yesterday.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Re: "The device has either stopped responding or is disconnected" message keeps showing up.

Try clearing cache in recovery , also when it pops up get a screenshot of it

inet32

Aug 24, 2018
Visit site
Re: "The device has either stopped responding or is disconnected" message keeps showing up.

Try clearing cache in recovery , also when it pops up get a screenshot of it

S21Msg.jpg

I don't know why this thread petered out but I have the same problem as the OP so I'm posting a screenshot. Also when you say "try clearing the cache" do you mean on the phone? Why would that help since the phone is disconnected from the PC when the messages occur? The messages start a few hours AFTER disconnecting the phone, just as the OP said.

I have an S21 Ultra and a Windows 10 PC. My PC is about a year old and my phone is about 6 months old but the problem just started a couple of months ago.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site

View attachment 345197

I don't know why this thread petered out but I have the same problem as the OP so I'm posting a screenshot. Also when you say "try clearing the cache" do you mean on the phone? Why would that help since the phone is disconnected from the PC when the messages occur? The messages start a few hours AFTER disconnecting the phone, just as the OP said.

I have an S21 Ultra and a Windows 10 PC. My PC is about a year old and my phone is about 6 months old but the problem just started a couple of months ago.
Yeah not sure why this thread stopped after asking questions lol

Thanks for your screenshot, is this displayed on the home screen?

Laura Knotek

Moderator Captain
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site

View attachment 345197

Are all your Windows updates installed? Are you running any Windows Insider?

inet32

Aug 24, 2018
Visit site

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site

Make sure Samsung drivers are installed were you trying move large files ?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

It'd be interesting to hear if anyone has encountered this with Windows 11, or if it only seems to happen on Windows 10.

Laura Knotek

Moderator Captain
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site

I have Windows 11 and Samsung device, both fully updated and no Windows Insider. I don't have that bug in Windows.

joeldf

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site

All of my Windows and Samsung/Android updates are installed.

BTW, this problem has lots of posts on Reddit, but no good theories or solutions : https://www.reddit.com/r/techsupport/comments/otpmaf/the_device_has_either_stopped_responding_or_has/
Ahh , have not experienced that , you have Samsung drivers installed?
I've been getting that for a few years. It always happens after I connect my phone - started with my S9, now happens with my S20 FE - open the folders on the device, could be device memory or SD card, view or even copy files over, then disconnect the phone, or even just connect then disconnect without doing anything else. Then I'll immediately get anywhere from 5 to almost 20 of those error windows pop up on top of each other.

This the only difference in how I experience the issue. The error windows pop up immediately after disconnecting the phone. Not some time later.

No real rhyme or reason as to why they happen. I can have all file explorer windows closed before disconnecting. Using various USB ports on the computer or even different cables makes no difference. Windows is always kept updated, the Samsung drivers are as current as I can figure. The phone itself is as updated as AT&T keeps it. This happened while on Win 10, and still does it after I updated to Win 11 just last month. This has now happened over at least 3 Android versions on the two phones.

I even tried removing the Samsung drivers, and letting them reinstall after the next re-connection.

Now, the problem doesn't seem to have any detrimental affect on anything. I simply close as many of those boxes that pop up after any given disconnection, and move on.

But it is aggravating.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site

I've been getting that for a few years. It always happens after I connect my phone - started with my S9, now happens with my S20 FE - open the folders on the device, could be device memory or SD card, view or even copy files over, then disconnect the phone, or even just connect then disconnect without doing anything else. Then I'll immediately get anywhere from 5 to almost 20 of those error windows pop up on top of each other.

This the only difference in how I experience the issue. The error windows pop up immediately after disconnecting the phone. Not some time later.

No real rhyme or reason as to why they happen. I can have all file explorer windows closed before disconnecting. Using various USB ports on the computer or even different cables makes no difference. Windows is always kept updated, the Samsung drivers are as current as I can figure. The phone itself is as updated as AT&T keeps it. This happened while on Win 10, and still does it after I updated to Win 11 just last month. This has now happened over at least 3 Android versions on the two phones.

I even tried removing the Samsung drivers, and letting them reinstall after the next re-connection.

Now, the problem doesn't seem to have any detrimental affect on anything. I simply close as many of those boxes that pop up after any given disconnection, and move on.

But it is aggravating.
Hmm I see , where did you get Samsung drivers just curious? I downloaded them from PC Samsung Smart Switch Utility back up

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site

joeldf would you be willing to try couple things out I have in mind?

inet32

Aug 24, 2018
Visit site

Ahh , have not experienced that , you have Samsung drivers installed?

Nope; I've never needed to install any special drivers before. I've used this phone with this PC for 6 months and up until two months ago everything worked fine. I also used my earlier Samsung 9+ without any special drivers. BTW, I only get this message after attaching the 21 Ultra - I've had no such problems with the 9+. So at least for me it seems unique to the 21 Ultra.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site

Nope; I've never needed to install any special drivers before. I've used this phone with this PC for 6 months and up until two months ago everything worked fine. I also used my earlier Samsung 9+ without any special drivers. BTW, I only get this message after attaching the 21 Ultra - I've had no such problems with the 9+. So at least for me it seems unique to the 21 Ultra.
I can give you couple things to try out
1. Go to settings>apps>system apps then look for USB settings and tap>storage>clear data back out once then force stop and test
(Its little tricky that menu to acces system app menu let me know if you cant ill show some screenshot )

2. Go to settings>general management>reset>reset settings

inet32

Aug 24, 2018
Visit site

Make sure Samsung drivers are installed were you trying move large files ?

They were large video files and they all copied fine, without any trouble. Why do I need drivers? The only drivers I saw on the Samsung website for this phone were either for developers or for older versions of Windows (7,8,8.1).

The S21 Ultra is an MTP device and it should work fine with the default Windows MTP driver, and up until two months ago it did.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dominic Haar