Need Help!

PinkLipstick

Aug 21, 2015
Visit site
My mom needs help. Somehow this search bar (pic below) showed up on her phone and has completely changed her phone. I am trying to help her remove it but can't figure out how. It looks as if it's some sort of app but, we can't find the download to remove it. Has anyone seen this before? I suggested a hard reset but wanted to see if there was a way around doing that. I also posted two pics of what the search bar looks like when you open it. Thanks!

Attachments

• 23218.jpg
    23218.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 19

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
That looks like it might be from a 3rd party launcher. Go to the system settings and search for "home." Select the option to choose the default Home app, and make sure it's set to One UI. If there's another option there, that's probably the 3rd party launcher that's responsible for the menu and the ads.
@mustang7757, does that look like the stock One UI launcher settings to you, or something 3rd party?

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
That looks like it might be from a 3rd party launcher. Go to the system settings and search for "home." Select the option to choose the default Home app, and make sure it's set to One UI. If there's another option there, that's probably the 3rd party launcher that's responsible for the menu and the ads.
@mustang7757, does that look like the stock One UI launcher settings to you, or something 3rd party?
Yeah looks like 3rd party

PinkLipstick

Aug 21, 2015
Visit site

Got it! Thanks so much!! The old lady was about to have a fit🤣

Laura Knotek

Moderator Captain
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site

That's definitely a 3rd party launcher. OneUI 4 does not have any adverts in its settings.

I don't know which launcher that is, since the only 3rd party one that I've ever used is Nova, which is definitely advert-free.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Got it! Thanks so much!! The old lady was about to have a fit������

Great! Make sure she uninstalls that 3rd party launcher as well -- just go to the Settings>Apps menu, find the app with that launcher's name, and uninstall it.