I just got a brand new s20fe on contract from my carrier. Should I (we all) be worried?

B. Diddy and J Dubbs like this.
    09-29-2022 08:33 AM
    It's hard to say
    I've had Samsung with removable battery like s5 ,Note 3 and 4 swell and replaced them and one that stood out but was 3 years old. Was my s8+ swelled and made the back glass pop off , I took that battery out the phone since back came off and put it in a metal container after few days it went back down to it's original size probably do to no power connected to it .
    Laura Knotek and J Dubbs like this.
    09-29-2022 09:45 AM
    Pretty concerning. I think Mrwhosetheboss is a pretty legit guy, and he certainly seems to have done his homework. It'll be interesting to see if Samsung responds to this ...
    09-29-2022 01:45 PM
    Pretty concerning. I think Mrwhosetheboss is a pretty legit guy, and he certainly seems to have done his homework. It'll be interesting to see if Samsung responds to this ...
    I hope Samsung does , like to hear what they say because this 3 big YouTuber talking about it .
    B. Diddy, Laura Knotek and J Dubbs like this.
    09-29-2022 02:54 PM
    Interesting
    09-29-2022 06:23 PM
    It's hard to say
    I've had Samsung with removable battery like s5 ,Note 3 and 4 swell and replaced them and one that stood out but was 3 years old. Was my s8+ swelled and made the back glass pop off , I took that battery out the phone since back came off and put it in a metal container after few days it went back down to it's original size probably do to no power connected to it .
    My Note 3 still has the original battery and is plugged in as a security camera, same as my S7 although both have very poor battery life at this point they haven't swollen.

When I worked at Verizon I witnessed Apple, Samsung, LG, Motorola, and HTC phones with swollen batteries, saw an iPhone battery catch fire as our repair technician took the phone apart to install a new battery. Our display models regardless of brand rarely made it a year before the battery would swell and start pushing the screen out.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    09-29-2022 06:32 PM
    this is definitely not a Samsung exclusive issue. I've had batteries from one plus SONY and a Nexus phone swell up.

No one likes to admit it because of how useful they are but lithium-ion batteries are just dangerous and bad lol.
    mustang7757 and Laura Knotek like this.
    09-29-2022 06:37 PM
    My Note 3 still has the original battery and is plugged in as a security camera, same as my S7 although both have very poor battery life at this point they haven't swollen.

When I worked at Verizon I witnessed Apple, Samsung, LG, Motorola, and HTC phones with swollen batteries, saw an iPhone battery catch fire as our repair technician took the phone apart to install a new battery. Our display models regardless of brand rarely made it a year before the battery would swell and start pushing the screen out.
    Get out still original battery, wow
    09-29-2022 08:15 PM
    I hope Samsung does , like to hear what they say because this 3 big YouTuber talking about it .
    I've never had a smartphone battery swell... but I've also never owned a Samsung until just recently. I have noticed that there seems to be shorter lifespans with Samsung batteries from the feedback on here and other places. I've been wondering for a while if Sammy is cutting corners (again) in the battery department

I'm definitely going to be keeping an eye on my Flip just to be safe
    mustang7757 likes this.
    09-30-2022 03:21 AM
    I've never had a smartphone battery swell... but I've also never owned a Samsung until just recently. I have noticed that there seems to be shorter lifespans with Samsung batteries from the feedback on here and other places. I've been wondering for a while if Sammy is cutting corners (again) in the battery department

I'm sure with the latest Samsung shouldn't be a concern but always have to be careful with these batteries.
    09-30-2022 08:19 AM
    09-30-2022 08:49 AM

My Note 20U is nearly 2 years old now and I've got all day battery life. Biggest killer from what I experienced working at Verizon was leaving them plugged in over night. It's something I've refused to do and I haven't had many issues.
    09-30-2022 02:53 PM
    My Note 20U is nearly 2 years old now and I've got all day battery life. Biggest killer from what I experienced working at Verizon was leaving them plugged in over night. It's something I've refused to do and I haven't had many issues.
    Yep I've never left my phones plugged in overnight either, and even though I tend to keep my phones longer than most, the only battery that's ever started dying on me was my 2016 pixel. I hope my Z Flip 3 keeps up the trend
    09-30-2022 03:24 PM
    Earlier today, I saw a video by Youtuber mrwhostheboss where he's detailing a common phenomenon that only happens to Samsung Galaxy phones: all their batteries eventually expand and commonly break out the frames.

Just a moment ago, I looked up to see if there were any news about it on the news wire. But I came across a different sort of news: Samsung had a deep fundamental security flaw in its encryption for its Galaxy flagships

(Search: "samsung phones exposed")

I get articles like these: https://www.cpomagazine.com/cyber-se...ial-to-expose/

Man, I'm so disappointed. ... I've been having second thoughts about my Samsung phone earlier this week before stumbling upon these news.
    10-02-2022 08:47 AM
    10-02-2022 09:19 AM
    I had older samsungs and they swelled up but that was after sitting for a long time. No charging. These were older phones with removable batteries
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    10-02-2022 10:55 AM
    From the information Mrwhosetheboss and Marques Brownlee gave, it sounds like it may have to do more with phones that are in storage and never (or hardly ever) used, so hopefully this won't affect people who are using their Samsung phones as daily drivers. Perhaps the best thing for Samsung owners to do would be that if they have an old Samsung phone as a backup, they should power it on every month or so and use it (like to update apps, etc.).
    10-02-2022 06:03 PM