Microphone not working on apps

Lucy J94

Nov 30, 2022
Visit site
My mic on Samsung Galaxy S20 FE has all of a sudden stopped working on all apps.
Works completely fine on calls and videos, but otherwise not at all.
I have tried in safe/emergency mode to rule out third party apps and it still doesn't work.
I have cleared cache and data for apps I'm trying to use.
I've reset microphone permissions .
I've turned off Bixby voice as I read that this could be an issue.
I've reset my phone a few times.
Beyond a factory reset which I'm really reluctant to do as I'll lose loads (not enough back up storage left) and I'm not sure it would even work, does anyone have any suggestions, please?

Last edited by a moderator:

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! You mentioned that the mic works fine with videos -- do you mean you tried recording a video and then watched it using headphones to make sure you're hearing sound from both channels?

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
In safe mode all 3rd party apps are turned off so it won't do much good there to rule out 3rd party apps.

Go to setting>apps>3 dot's upper right corner tap>reset app preferences see what happens

Sent from my SM-F721U1 using AC Forums mobile app

Lucy J94

Nov 30, 2022
Visit site
Thanks for your reply.

Sorry, that's what I meant. If they're turned off and it works then I'd know its down to one of them. But no such luck.
I tried this but it's still not working. Truly baffled at this point.

Lucy J94

Nov 30, 2022
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! You mentioned that the mic works fine with videos -- do you mean you tried recording a video and then watched it using headphones to make sure you're hearing sound from both channels?

Yes, sound works completely fine with speakers and headphones.

That's right. Sounds perfectly fine when recording video

Last edited by a moderator: