Wi-Fi will no longer show 4G or 5G after upgrading to 5.0 Android 13.

y2jman

Apr 28, 2011
Visit site
umm something odd just happen before i upgraded to android 13 ui 5.0 i notice i'm no long seeing 4g or 5g symbol after i upgraded to 5.0 android 13<-it was showing it but now its not

the funny thing is if i disconnect and reconnect my home wifi it will say either 4g or 5g symbol with wifi then disappears

i don't know if this is something new or what can anybody who has already gotten android 13 ui 5.0 on their phone tell me if it still supposed to display 4g and 5g when on wifi or does it disappear and this is something new i have to get used to

i know when i'm on mobile data it will show 4g or 5g again i don't know if restart or reset wifi settings will make it come back up or what

surely samsung didn't remove this they did and if so will they bring this back or not

Last edited:

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
My WiFi signal indicator shows a 6, because I have a WiFi 6 router... 4G and 5G are to do with mobile networks, not WiFi. WiFi 5GHz is a thing, but that's nothing to do with 5G and I've never seen an indicator showing that I'm connected to a 5GHz network.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I'm not familiar with this phone specifically, but it's common for a phone to shut off the mobile data when on Wi-Fi, so you wouldn't see the 4G/5G notices. It could be Samsung started doing this as well? The only thing this would affect is MMS messages, such as getting a picture via text messaging. Those do rely on mobile data, but most everything else goes through Wi-Fi when connected, including calls these days. Regular texts don't rely on a data service, so those would still come through as long as you have cell service (doesn't have to be mobile data).

If you have a need to keep your mobile data active while on Wi-Fi, check the developer options. This is a screenshot from my LG phone, but yours should have a similar option.Screenshots_2022-12-06-08-39-46.jpg

y2jman

Apr 28, 2011
Visit site
that's the thing i never have mobile data on with wifi i always turn it off and when turn on wifi i would still see 4g or 5g symbol so again i don't know what is going on why not seeing after i updated to android 13 earlier this morning

so i'm still trying to figure out what is going on do you guys think that despite it was there when on android 12 they actually removed it on 13?

i seen this samsung community form

https://us.community.samsung.com/t5/Galaxy-S-Phones/Didn-t-like-the-new-5-0-Update/m-p/2438766

oh i just turn on mobile data along with wifi it don't even show 4g or 5g either

now i just talk to verizon they told me that samsung removed it after software update nothing to do about this situation so basically in a nutshell going to have to live with no longer going to see 4g or 5g symbol when on wifi and even if i have mobile data with wifi it will also not show it

only way to see it again if turn off wifi and turn on mobile data then it will show 4g or 5g

i guess this is because when i restarted phone awhile ago it will show 4g,5g while on wifi then disappear same if i turn off wifi and turn back on again

i'm in samsung chat somebody also confirm that it was gone after upgrading from android 12 to android 13 so there you go samsung did it after software update not verizon very unhappy about this

i went back to chat and somebody said Yes it got removed to empty the quick panel space but whenever you turn on the mobile data the data will be run according to your plan if you have 5g it will work on 5g if 4g it will work on 4g it became automatic now

also i got this Till now no one has reported this and actually it is not any of issues it is the changes of the software and we changed it on customers demand only because many customers don't want it to show on the screen

my response was hold up you mean to tell me when folks were on android 12 when connect to wifi reguardless mobile data on or off<-again i try this also saw gone that they didn't like seeing 4g or 5g symbol next to wifi icon i never heard of that before

Yes exactly you are right even we was like strange why customers don't want to see that symbols but we need to listen to the customers so we have change it so every feature will remove or add on customers demand we don;t do anything from our end

and due to folks complaining when i went to android 13 earlier this morning again before i updated and was still on android 12 it was still showing it you guys just decided to never show it again when on wifi?

so basically in a nutshell i will never see 4g or 5g symbol while on wifi only when i'm on mobile data is that true? i assumed next software update you will not bring it back eh

now that response was this No its not like that you can be able to see you just need to email to developers team so within 24 hours that feature will be added to your device

It will come back i the next update as I updated already to the developers team

so what do you guys think i should do still email developers team since guy in chat just told me he already mention it to them or do you think if leave it along next software update will actually bring it back?

Last edited:

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I guess I fail to see the problem. If you're on Wi-Fi, you won't use mobile data. Having a 4G, 5G, or no label at all is irrelevant. Based on my experience, the new update is how it should function, and the old way would've been the incorrect way.

Are you actually experiencing any problems related to this, or is this all about the visual appearance of a label?

y2jman

Apr 28, 2011
Visit site
well i did talk to a friend of mine today he's still on android 12 his is opposite when he's on wifi he will not see 4g or 5g symbol he's not on android 13 yet but when he on mobile it will show 4g and 5g symbol

like i said even if i have mobile data along with wifi it still won't show it
now keep in mind few years ago when i updated s7 to s20 plus phone got from walmart then have verizon activate it and even when i got to android 13 when on wifi on wifi with mobile data it will display wifi and also 4g, 5g symbol however after i went to android 13 earlier this morning that symbol no longer there

and now only way to see it if i turn off wifi and turn on mobile data this is very odd not sure why doing this but according to samsung chat folks were complaining about this issue while on android 12 and apprently they remove it in android 13

Last edited:

y2jman

Apr 28, 2011
Visit site
no i haven't again i want to confirm is this doing other folks if you are only on wifi and not on mobile data after upgrade 12 to 13 the 4g,5g symbol will not display next to wifi symbol will disappear right?

also like i said even if i got both wifi and mobile data on at the same time it will still not display 4g,5g symbol which just odd if you asked me

on a side note this is new so my dad just call me now it saying his number name and verify<-i never seen that before i guess that's due to being in android 13?

actually talking to a verizon women on phone told me that also updated to android 13 going to chat with samsung on hold told me that she doesn't see 4g or 5g symbol while on wifi either something about prioritize wifi<-that's why not showing symbol something like

Last edited:

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
no i haven't again i want to confirm is this doing other folks if you are only on wifi and not on mobile data after upgrade 12 to 13 the 4g,5g symbol will not display next to wifi symbol will disappear right?

also like i said even if i got both wifi and mobile data on at the same time it will still not display 4g,5g symbol which just odd if you asked me

on a side note this is new so my dad just call me now it saying his number name and verify<-i never seen that before i guess that's due to being in android 13?

actually talking to a verizon women on phone told me that also updated to android 13 going to chat with samsung on hold told me that she doesn't see 4g or 5g symbol while on wifi either something about prioritize wifi<-that's why not showing symbol something like
Well on my Fold 4 and Flip 4 no it's not happening I'm on Android 13 5.0UI

Sent from my SM-F721U1 using AC Forums mobile app

y2jman

Apr 28, 2011
Visit site
are you telling me that your not seeing 4g or 5g symbol when you turn off mobile data and only turn on wifi is that what your saying only showing wifi symbol right

y2jman

Apr 28, 2011
Visit site
i was connected to samsung kept arguing with him trying to explain why i used to see it on phone when it was on android 12 and no longer see it after i updated to 13 earlier this morning i just hung up got so frustrated

i guess that's it just have to handle this change i will never again see 4g or 5g symbol when i'm on wifi ever again after going into android 13 earlier this morning if i want to see it again turn off wifi<-i have to turn on data it will display 4g and 5g but when i go to a public place that's has wifi like planet fitness i always turn off mobile data and used their wifi

i'm so stress out over this little mess right now guess have to get over this again don't like change

can you tell why when i got phone upgraded s7 to s20 plus walmart few years ago had verizon activated on their end when i got to android 12 after numerous updates over time that is

when i turn off mobile data and only turn on wifi it used to show all the way up to yesterday and this morning before i updated phone to 13 it would display 4g/5g and now it doesn't that what's bothering me so to speak

also why in the heck if i restart my phone i see apon restart 4g or 5g symbol while on wifi then it will disappear same thing if i turn off wifi and turn back on

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
i was connected to samsung kept arguing with him trying to explain why i used to see it on phone when it was on android 12 and no longer see it after i updated to 13 earlier this morning i just hung up got so frustrated

i guess that's it just have to handle this change i will never again see 4g or 5g symbol when i'm on wifi ever again after going into android 13 earlier this morning if i want to see it again turn off wifi<-i have to turn on data it will display 4g and 5g but when i go to a public place that's has wifi like planet fitness i always turn off mobile data and used their wifi

i'm so stress out over this little mess right now guess have to get over this again don't like change

can you tell why when i got phone upgraded s7 to s20 plus walmart few years ago had verizon activated on their end when i got to android 12 after numerous updates over time that is

when i turn off mobile data and only turn on wifi it used to show all the way up to yesterday and this morning before i updated phone to 13 it would display 4g/5g and now it doesn't that what's bothering me so to speak

also why in the heck if i restart my phone i see apon restart 4g or 5g symbol while on wifi then it will disappear same thing if i turn off wifi and turn back on
Why do you want see the 4g/5g symbol while on WiFi?

y2jman

Apr 28, 2011
Visit site
i don't know it just seems odd why it used to always display it when i was on android 12 and now disappear after went into android 13 5.0 not sure why

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
i don't know it just seems odd why it used to always display it when i was on android 12 and now disappear after went into android 13 5.0 not sure why
Samsung had that in past show at same time if you have that toggle on in developer setting like mooncat explain it will have higher chance to show same time

joeldf

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
@y2jman,

I've been using Samsung phones on AT&T since 2017 over 3 different phones. And my oldest son had 2 more models before that going back to 2014. None of them ever consistently showed the Wi-Fi symbol (when on it) and the cellular network type at the same time. Almost always, the cellular network symbol would go away once the phone found a saved wi-fi signal.

I say almost always because occasionally the mobile network name would pop on momentarily, but then go away.

I remember having an argument over this issue with @mustang7757 when this same question came up a few years ago. Friendly disagreement, of course, as my experience was just different than his in that regard.

My S20 FE 5G is still on Android 12, and to this day, except for the occasional brief glimpse, I still only see either the Wi-Fi symbol or the mobile network symbol.

I think what happens is that every once in a while, the phone has to actually communicate with carrier through the mobile network - check signal status, or whatever - and that triggers the mobile symbol to show up. Particularly in my case since I don't use Wi-Fi calling, so the phone has to stay linked to the mobile network in some fashion to be available in case of a call or text.

BTW, the phone is always connected to the carrier service via the mobile network, even if you are on a Wi-Fi connection and aren't using cellular for actual data. If you have one of those apps that checks your signal strength for wi-fi or cellular, you will see that there is always a cellular connection in the network listing. It's how the carrier keeps tabs on the phone and be ready for a call. Not everyone has wi-fi calling turned on.

Edit to add...

One more thing. While the "5G" or "4G-LTE" symbol might be replaced with the Wi-Fi symbol, you will always still see the cellular signal strength symbol (the bars). That's how you know you're still connected.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
@y2jman,

I've been using Samsung phones on AT&T since 2017 over 3 different phones. And my oldest son had 2 more models before that going back to 2014. None of them ever consistently showed the Wi-Fi symbol (when on it) and the cellular network type at the same time. Almost always, the cellular network symbol would go away once the phone found a saved wi-fi signal.

I say almost always because occasionally the mobile network name would pop on momentarily, but then go away.

I remember having an argument over this issue with @mustang7757 when this same question came up a few years ago. Friendly disagreement, of course, as my experience was just different than his in that regard.

My S20 FE 5G is still on Android 12, and to this day, except for the occasional brief glimpse, I still only see either the Wi-Fi symbol or the mobile network symbol.

I think what happens is that every once in a while, the phone has to actually communicate with carrier through the mobile network - check signal status, or whatever - and that triggers the mobile symbol to show up. Particularly in my case since I don't use Wi-Fi calling, so the phone has to stay linked to the mobile network in some fashion to be available in case of a call or text.

BTW, the phone is always connected to the carrier service via the mobile network, even if you are on a Wi-Fi connection and aren't using cellular for actual data. If you have one of those apps that checks your signal strength for wi-fi or cellular, you will see that there is always a cellular connection in the network listing. It's how the carrier keeps tabs on the phone and be ready for a call. Not everyone has wi-fi calling turned on.
Yeah im thinking back your right lol
Your a good member here even if we disagree on things i dont take it personally it good for discussion and sometimes we can learn from it .

y2jman

Apr 28, 2011
Visit site
i still don't get it why is it if i restart and log in while on wifi i see 4g or 5g come up for a few mins then disappear same if i disconnect wifi and reconnect i assumed this is normal for now on?

oh i never turn on wifi calling btw

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463