Does the Ultra actually have a flat display or not?

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
Unless inaccurate, the renders so far suggest the media may be geometrically challenged, or their convention of what "flat" is. The renders so far suggests near similar nasty (IMO) curved edges like the Note 10+ has. I have a Note 10+ and the only thing that drives me nuts (besides no 3.5) is the image distorting, light reflecting, and touch distorting curved edges.

Flat's where it's at.

tcdude

May 22, 2013
Visit site
Unless inaccurate, the renders so far suggest the media may be geometrically challenged, or their convention of what "flat" is. The renders so far suggests near similar nasty (IMO) curved edges like the Note 10+ has. I have a Note 10+ and the only thing that drives me nuts (besides no 3.5) is the image distorting, light reflecting, and touch distorting curved edges.

Flat's where it's at.

They are saying it won't be as curved as note 10

msm0511

Trusted Member
Aug 23, 2014
Visit site
I've seen conflicting reports on this. Some rumors have mentioned more of a 2.5d screen like iPhones and others have. Other reports mention a much sharper, but still there curved edge. That's the issue with renders. They don't necessarily represent design, just the overall look of the phone. The only pics I've seen of the actual device only show it from the back to show the camera array.

hasasimo

May 3, 2014
Visit site
We won't know until Unpacked, but Max Weinbach says the glass display resembles that of the Pixel 4. So, pretty much flat (like the S10e). The back of the phone, on the other hand, is much more curved than before.

RedMage36

Aug 30, 2018
Visit site
I like the idea that it might be flat, but i wish it would have the design more like the iphone. Being curved in the back is dumb too.

hasasimo

May 3, 2014
Visit site
I like the idea that it might be flat, but i wish it would have the design more like the iphone. Being curved in the back is dumb too.

I couldn't agree more. The result is a hideously thin metal chassis on the sides, that they have to make slightly thicker only around the buttons, and that severely detracts from the phone's aesthetics. Samsung gets a lot of things right on the hardware side, but some of the design choices for the S20 are just bad IMO.

msm0511

Trusted Member
Aug 23, 2014
Visit site
I couldn't agree more. The result is a hideously thin metal chassis on the sides, that they have to make slightly thicker only around the buttons, and that severely detracts from the phone's aesthetics. Samsung gets a lot of things right on the hardware side, but some of the design choices for the S20 are just bad IMO.

I'm the opposite. I love that look on my Note 10+

hasasimo

May 3, 2014
Visit site
I'm the opposite. I love that look on my Note 10+

It frustrates me, because i like almost everything else about the design of the phones that have that strange side metal chassis (Note10+ and S10 5G). But yeah, I try to be careful to include "IMO" when talking about design since that's subjective, even if my feelings on the matter are quite strong.

msm0511

Trusted Member
Aug 23, 2014
Visit site
It frustrates me, because i like almost everything else about the design of the phones that have that strange side metal chassis (Note10+ and S10 5G). But yeah, I try to be careful to include "IMO" when talking about design since that's subjective, even if my feelings on the matter are quite strong.

Oh yeah, design is definitely subjective.

sulla1965

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
To me it looks like they borrowed the look of the Pixel 4, with flat screen and thicker sides. I actually liked the curve of the s10 and even the note 10 plus. So i'm not sure I like the apparent change.

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
Will hold off for the Note 20... whatever it's called. The Ultra has a taller and less wide display compared to the N10+. Stick with the N10+ and see how the next Note pans out.

tcdude

May 22, 2013
Visit site
Will hold off for the Note 20... whatever it's called. The Ultra has a taller and less wide display compared to the N10+. Stick with the N10+ and see how the next Note pans out.

I was thinking the same thing the screen is mostly taller not wider, but the question is can I wait 6 more months lol

strikeIII

Aug 24, 2010
Visit site
I was thinking the same thing the screen is mostly taller not wider, but the question is can I wait 6 more months lol

Thinking the same. With so many changes Samsung is going to do this year I feel like it's best to wait but CAN I wait is always the main question. Lol

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
I heard the same thing 2.5D although I also heard the ultra will be a bit more curvy but still less than the others
Overall the Note 10+ has a more content friendly display, in spite of slightly more curved edges. Hopefully N20 does not go this path.

echo_808

May 12, 2013
Visit site
So does 2.5D make glass screen protectors less prone to issues (peeling/etc) compared to curved?

I had issues with my S9+ so ended up using a non-glass. Didnt bother changing out my S10+ pre-installed protector (even though I bought a Spigen Neoflex protector).