Ultra compared to Note 9 size?

neil74

Mar 12, 2016
Visit site
I am currently sitting here thinking, it's only a little bigger than the note 10+ I can manage that. Then I remember how cumbersome I found the note at times.

They just keep getting that little big bigger every year. I also do not get the taller aspect, only benefit I can see is Samsung claiming the larger diagonal measure?

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
I am currently sitting here thinking, it's only a little bigger than the note 10+ I can manage that. Then I remember how cumbersome I found the note at times.

They just keep getting that little big bigger every year. I also do not get the taller aspect, only benefit I can see is Samsung claiming the larger diagonal measure?
Where I find the Note 10+ cumbersome is when I switch to the S10+ from time to time. I find it easier to hold securely if I'm using it one handed to utilize the FPS to activate Samsung Pay if I don't have both hands free.

It's not unbearable but it definitely feels chunkier. I'm not worried about the Ultra. For the most part I use a device two handed.

neil74

Mar 12, 2016
Visit site
That was my exact feelings with the Note, I still like to use my phone one-handed (I have never mastered 2 handed typing on a phone) and I felt un-easy doing so on the note especially when on the move.

I am leaning towards the S20 plus TBH, saw a demo and it looks great, it is still big though, bigger than the S10+ and pretty much the same size as the OnePlus 7 Pro which is already a big phone. I am going to try and have a play with
the Ultra though if I can, the rounded corners could help things but my gut feeling is this that this one is just too much. Really interested to learn how much of a camera downgrade the plus is vs. the ultra for the main camera.

I am also believe it not am actually considering not buying any of them!!! Crazy talk I know.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
That was my exact feelings with the Note, I still like to use my phone one-handed (I have never mastered 2 handed typing on a phone) and I felt un-easy doing so on the note especially when on the move.

I am leaning towards the S20 plus TBH, saw a demo and it looks great, it is still big though, bigger than the S10+ and pretty much the same size as the OnePlus 7 Pro which is already a big phone. I am going to try and have a play with
the Ultra though if I can, the rounded corners could help things but my gut feeling is this that this one is just too much. Really interested to learn how much of a camera downgrade the plus is vs. the ultra for the main camera.

I am also believe it not am actually considering not buying any of them!!! Crazy talk I know.
I swipe more than I type. And my version of typing one-handed is to hold the phone in one and type with the other. I dont recall ever using even smaller devices with one hand. I think my dexterity or lack of might make that difficult. I like large devices because you get more content in some cases and larger viewing in others. It would be difficult for me to downsize at this point. The S10+ size is about as small as I'm willing to go.

msm0511

Trusted Member
Aug 23, 2014
Visit site

I find the Note 10+ to be easy to type on one handed b/c it's not very wide. It's much easier than my XS Max. With the Ultra being slightly more narrow than the Note I'd imaging typing one handed wouldn't be an issue. As far as the aspect ratio, Samsung can claim a bigger screen without being wider. I'm not sure that's the reason that they are going with this ratio though. Video content other than YouTube is moving toward 21:9, so maybe that could be another reason.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
I find the Note 10+ to be easy to type on one handed b/c it's not very wide. It's much easier than my XS Max. With the Ultra being slightly more narrow than the Note I'd imaging typing one handed wouldn't be an issue. As far as the aspect ratio, Samsung can claim a bigger screen without being wider. I'm not sure that's the reason that they are going with this ratio though. Video content other than YouTube is moving toward 21:9, so maybe that could be another reason.
The Ultra may feel wider because of the depth but I'm just guessing.

msm0511

Trusted Member
Aug 23, 2014
Visit site
The Ultra may feel wider because of the depth but I'm just guessing.

Hadn't thought about that. The Ultra is .05 inch more narrow, but .04 inch thicker than the Note 10+. I'd imagine the difference being a wash at that point. As long as the weight balance is done properly I don't think it'll be an issue.

RedMage36

Aug 30, 2018
Visit site

That's exactly what they are doing. I need a wider phone..so while im interested, im probably going to wait for the Note 20.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Hadn't thought about that. The Ultra is .05 inch more narrow, but .04 inch thicker than the Note 10+. I'd imagine the difference being a wash at that point. As long as the weight balance is done properly I don't think it'll be an issue.
I just hope they keep the next Note as a standard device and not make it the Fold 2. I don't mind if they want to a stylus to the Fold and make a traditional Note at the same time but I have no interest in a folding device.

msm0511

Trusted Member
Aug 23, 2014
Visit site
I just hope they keep the next Note as a standard device and not make it the Fold 2. I don't mind if they want to a stylus to the Fold and make a traditional Note at the same time but I have no interest in a folding device.

It'll be a while before I'm ready to buy a foldable. I'm somewhat interested, but I don't think the tech is quite there for me yet. There's too many compromises at the moment for me to pull the trigger.

neil74

Mar 12, 2016
Visit site
Saw a dummy unit at lunch time and the width felt ok. Was in one of those clamp things though so no chance to get a real idea. We pretty much have to buy these things blind in the UK.

The S20 plus though still looks the best size.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
It'll be a while before I'm ready to buy a foldable. I'm somewhat interested, but I don't think the tech is quite there for me yet. There's too many compromises at the moment for me to pull the trigger.
I don't see how they can make one I would feel comfortable with unless they can actually make foldable glass of which I have my doubts. If I did ever have the desire it certainly wouldn't be a flip model. I think the out of the current offerings, Huawei makes the best design, however the device folding the display out to the exterior concerns me.

msm0511

Trusted Member
Aug 23, 2014
Visit site
I don't see how they can make one I would feel comfortable with unless they can actually make foldable glass of which I have my doubts. If I did ever have the desire it certainly wouldn't be a flip model. I think the out of the current offerings, Huawei makes the best design, however the device folding the display out to the exterior concerns me.

I agree on the Huawei design being the best thus far. With regards to an SPen capable foldable the displays will need to get much stronger to handle the pressure.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
knowledge is power