Just a small regurgitation of my feelings on this phone…

Yguideslou

May 25, 2013
Visit site
This is just a sort of rambling of my thoughts and laments, so if that type of post doesn’t interest you… bail out now… you’ve been warned, LOL J

So, I’m a total tech/gadget nerd. I tend to always get the latest and greatest, and irrespective of iOS or Android, (though I am an Android fanboy I admit), I love seeing how both platforms have evolved, and taken some things from each other.

Up until the S10/Note 10 series, I’ve always upgraded each year… sometimes twice/yr from S to Note, (and boy howdy are there knock down drag out fights with the wife over that now that prices are skyrocketing, lol). I didn’t upgrade from my Note 9 to the 10 series… the first time I skipped a generation in I can’t remember how long… was because of the god awful holes in the screen. I know, I know, many folks say “Bah, you get used to them and don’t even see them after a time.” … maybe, maybe not, but anyway, that’s why I didn’t get a 10 series… Plus I’m not a fan of wireless earbuds.

While the prices, even my Note 9 at $1250 for the 512MB storage and 8GB RAM, was a bit of a OUCH… it wasn’t enough to deter me… much to my wife’s shock of “over a thousand dollars for a freakin’ phone?!?!?!”

Fast forward to today and the S20… the Ultra, in either 128 GB or 512GB version, much as I want this phone… and despite the hole in the screen, the lack of headphone jack… I do… I really, REALLY DO want this phone for many, many reasons… or so my initial gut reaction was…

However, for the first time the price is making me not only hesitate, but really evaluate what I want, and whether or not this phone will deliver for MY needs.

I mostly use my phone for gaming, surfing the web, reading, and watching videos/movies. The games I play, play just fine on my Note 9. I look at the screen format, and think:

“It’s not any wider than the Note 9, (in fact it’s a tad bit narrower), though it is taller… so this and smaller bezels is what gives it about 0.5” more display size, (6.9” vs 6.4”).

However… given that when I watch videos/movies on my phone, I’m usually holding it in my hand not too far from my face… I tend to be more focused on the middle’ish portion of the screen, not the left or right sides, (holding in landscape mode). “Well, wait there, Lou” … you say… “then the hole punches shouldn’t impact your experience.” Yeah, yeah… I know… which is why I’m cracking a bit on that, lol. Anyway, before you interrupted me, I was going to say… would the Note 10+ be the better display upgrade in this case since it get it’s bigger display over the Note 9 from being a bit wider with a bit smaller bezels? Does that question make sense?

So, NOW I’m wondering what am I really getting for $1400/$1600 ? I’m not sure the viewing experience will be better. I’m not sure the gaming experience will be better, (or better ENOUGH to justify the cost), I’m not sure anything that *I* use the phone for, and what matters to me, (I’m not a big camera guy), is improved in any meaningful way, or again, ENOUGH so to justify that insane cost. I don’t even have 5G and a twinkle in its daddy’s eye here in the central FL area.

$@$% Samsung for pricing this SO high, lol. I don’t usually examine my phone usage/patterns this much… or at all frankly, lol. I just get the latest and greatest. I can afford it, it’s my jam/vice, so why not? I can afford this phone too, even at the $166+tax, ($1712), mark… but looking in the Samsung Shop app… for that same $1700 I can get a 75”, QHD TV !!!!! I swear to you, that I think seeing that in the app is what really sent me over the edge of… wow… sounding like my wife… do I really want to spend THAT much money on a PHONE??? … yes, it’s much more than a phone, it’s a friggin’ computer really, (with better specs than my wife’s laptop, lol), but still…

Now, I’m not going to out and out say it’s not worth it given the tech… but I’m not sure it’s worth it to ME… and I’ve NEVER asked that question before.

Ah, well… I guess I’m wondering if there’s anyone else out there like me who may have finally hit their price tolerance limit? Or is thinking like I am for the first time about “my phone really does serve my needs well, and think of what else I could get for that much money?”

Thanks.

Take care,
Lou

j_hansen

Oct 16, 2012
Visit site
If you want to upgrade get a Note 10 plus, it is nicer to use than the Note 9, I had the 8/512 version as well so I know.
Samsung can stick the S line where the sun don't shine until prices drop at lest 25-30%

Gdwheel

Nov 22, 2009
Visit site
Same for me. I get almost every new phone, at least to try, and I sometimes buy them more than once as I try to decide which I like. It is an expensive exercise, but like you, it is my vice. This year, G have a hard time justifying going from the S10+ to any of the S20 devices for what it will cost, even with the trade in of the S10+. Even if it only costs me $600 for the S20+, what am I getting for that $600? A better camera and 5g chip? I am not really a camera guy. Sure the S10+ sucks at taking pictures of anything that is not still, but $600? Also, 5G is really not there yet for AT&T (my carrier). So, I am fighting my practice of getting the latest and probably staying with the S10+, for the first time in a long time. Maybe I will again talk myself into buying the S20, but it does not make much sense to me at the moment.

msm0511

Trusted Member
Aug 23, 2014
Visit site
I used to buy the top of the line iPhone, and a flagship Android phone every year. Starting with the XS Max I decided I had to switch to alternating years with an iPhone one year, flagship Android the next. Now seeing the prices of The S20 Ultra, and assuming what's gonna happen with the prices when the iPhone gets 5G this year I'm doubting that even makes sense anymore.

I currently still have the XS Max and the Note 10+. Both are great phones, and the Note is one of my favorite phones of all time. Like you though, I believe I've hit a price ceiling of upgrading every year, much less twice a year. It just doesn't seem worth it anymore. Then after adding in a smart watch (I know I don't have to have a smart watch, but I like them), it's crazy the amount of money these devices are costing.

I always go on about cameras in phones, wanting the newest and best. But when I look back at the photos I've taken recently, my HTC U12+ from 2 years ago could handle every pic I've taken just as well. So while I say I'm going to get more serious with mobile photography, I never actually do.

Long story short, I made the decision a couple days ago that upgrading so often is just not in the cards for me anymore. The costs have gotten to the point they outweigh the benefits for me. As long as my Note 10+ is getting regular security updates and the battery life is still good I'm gonna hold off until the advancements are truly meaningful for me.

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
Just curious... Which XS Max do you have? 11 Pro Max right??

Isn't the upgraded Max with 512gb at $1400... Where the base S20 Ultra stars at $1400?? Ridiculous eh??

At least Apple let you get the Max Pro cameras at the $1000 mark if you really want the cameras even though at the cost 64gb storage.

The S20 Ultra interests me... but not at $1400 starting. Luckily I have access to corp pricing.

I used to buy the top of the line iPhone, and a flagship Android phone every year. Starting with the XS Max I decided I had to switch to alternating years with an iPhone one year, flagship Android the next. Now seeing the prices of The S20 Ultra, and assuming what's gonna happen with the prices when the iPhone gets 5G this year I'm doubting that even makes sense anymore.

msm0511

Trusted Member
Aug 23, 2014
Visit site
Just curious... Which XS Max do you have? 11 Pro Max right??

Isn't the upgraded Max with 512gb at $1400... Where the base S20 Ultra stars at $1400?? Ridiculous eh??

At least Apple let you get the Max Pro cameras at the $1000 mark if you really want the cameras even though at the cost 64gb storage.

The S20 Ultra interests me... but not at $1400 starting. Luckily I have access to corp pricing.

The XS Max is the 2018 iPhone. I don't have one of the 11 series.

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Currently with the prices rising I'm going to limit myself to flagships of iPhone, Google and Samsung every year. Before I be used to get others in-between like OnePlus, LG and Sony here and there. But now it's only flagship of Samsung, Google and iPhone. I just set aside budget for them every year and keep getting the latest. I'll do that until gadget fatigue hits me which hasn't surprisingly till now. You never know though when that hits.

Before someone asks, do I need to change every flagship. Absolutely not, it's just more of an expensive hobby.

ibcop

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
I definitely agree with you, Lou. I'm always looking for the best camera and I'm leaning hard towards the 20+ but the pricing is ridiculous. Even with the trade-in Samsung does, it knocks 600 beans off but you've already paid for the device you would be trading. That being said, you couldn't sell the device and expect to get 600 for it. If I do decide to upgrade, it'll be the last time for a while - maybe every two years versus every year.

Yguideslou

May 25, 2013
Visit site
The other issue I'm seeing looking at a Note 10+ is that it's only about $8 to $10/month less than the 20 Ultra... so cost wise it's not a significant difference in payments. However, I still think... think being the operative word... that due to form factor, the Note 10+ may feel like watching on a bigger screen compared to my Note 9 than the 20 Ultra will.

For sure if I were to get this I'd keep it at least 2 years if not 3.

Honestly, it's the movie/video viewing experience I'm most focused on.

robinhelenehebert

Oct 14, 2013
Visit site
I love your post. I have the Note 10 plus and had the Note 9. The 10 does photography right!!! I love it. The thing that would get me to upgrade alone is the 108 mp camera!!! BUT I will wait. I'm gonna see how everyone on you tube likes it and ride out the upgrade train until I can finally upgrade at a better pricem
This is just a sort of rambling of my thoughts and laments, so if that type of post doesn’t interest you… bail out now… you’ve been warned, LOL J

So, I’m a total tech/gadget nerd. I tend to always get the latest and greatest, and irrespective of iOS or Android, (though I am an Android fanboy I admit), I love seeing how both platforms have evolved, and taken some things from each other.

Up until the S10/Note 10 series, I’ve always upgraded each year… sometimes twice/yr from S to Note, (and boy howdy are there knock down drag out fights with the wife over that now that prices are skyrocketing, lol). I didn’t upgrade from my Note 9 to the 10 series… the first time I skipped a generation in I can’t remember how long… was because of the god awful holes in the screen. I know, I know, many folks say “Bah, you get used to them and don’t even see them after a time.” … maybe, maybe not, but anyway, that’s why I didn’t get a 10 series… Plus I’m not a fan of wireless earbuds.

While the prices, even my Note 9 at $1250 for the 512MB storage and 8GB RAM, was a bit of a OUCH… it wasn’t enough to deter me… much to my wife’s shock of “over a thousand dollars for a freakin’ phone?!?!?!”

Fast forward to today and the S20… the Ultra, in either 128 GB or 512GB version, much as I want this phone… and despite the hole in the screen, the lack of headphone jack… I do… I really, REALLY DO want this phone for many, many reasons… or so my initial gut reaction was…

However, for the first time the price is making me not only hesitate, but really evaluate what I want, and whether or not this phone will deliver for MY needs.

I mostly use my phone for gaming, surfing the web, reading, and watching videos/movies. The games I play, play just fine on my Note 9. I look at the screen format, and think:

“It’s not any wider than the Note 9, (in fact it’s a tad bit narrower), though it is taller… so this and smaller bezels is what gives it about 0.5” more display size, (6.9” vs 6.4”).

However… given that when I watch videos/movies on my phone, I’m usually holding it in my hand not too far from my face… I tend to be more focused on the middle’ish portion of the screen, not the left or right sides, (holding in landscape mode). “Well, wait there, Lou” … you say… “then the hole punches shouldn’t impact your experience.” Yeah, yeah… I know… which is why I’m cracking a bit on that, lol. Anyway, before you interrupted me, I was going to say… would the Note 10+ be the better display upgrade in this case since it get it’s bigger display over the Note 9 from being a bit wider with a bit smaller bezels? Does that question make sense?

So, NOW I’m wondering what am I really getting for $1400/$1600 ? I’m not sure the viewing experience will be better. I’m not sure the gaming experience will be better, (or better ENOUGH to justify the cost), I’m not sure anything that *I* use the phone for, and what matters to me, (I’m not a big camera guy), is improved in any meaningful way, or again, ENOUGH so to justify that insane cost. I don’t even have 5G and a twinkle in its daddy’s eye here in the central FL area.

$@$% Samsung for pricing this SO high, lol. I don’t usually examine my phone usage/patterns this much… or at all frankly, lol. I just get the latest and greatest. I can afford it, it’s my jam/vice, so why not? I can afford this phone too, even at the $166+tax, ($1712), mark… but looking in the Samsung Shop app… for that same $1700 I can get a 75”, QHD TV !!!!! I swear to you, that I think seeing that in the app is what really sent me over the edge of… wow… sounding like my wife… do I really want to spend THAT much money on a PHONE??? … yes, it’s much more than a phone, it’s a friggin’ computer really, (with better specs than my wife’s laptop, lol), but still…

Now, I’m not going to out and out say it’s not worth it given the tech… but I’m not sure it’s worth it to ME… and I’ve NEVER asked that question before.

Ah, well… I guess I’m wondering if there’s anyone else out there like me who may have finally hit their price tolerance limit? Or is thinking like I am for the first time about “my phone really does serve my needs well, and think of what else I could get for that much money?”

Thanks.

Take care,
Lou

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Here's my rant:

If we were all practical we would buy midrangers and keep them for 3 years.
The thing for me is I've come to the stage of my life where being practical doesnt matter anymore or at least to a certain point. Like many other people I've worked long and hard to get where I am today and I'm going to enjoy every last minute of my life without depriving myself. I recently doubled how much I normally spend on a vehicle so spending a thousand or two on smart phones every year isn't going to kill me or break me.

When it comes to the S20 I want the Ultra but I wont throw away the extra 200 for more RAM and Storage because I won't reap any benefits in usage or resale value. That's about as practical as I'm going to get till the Note 20 comes out.

Yguideslou

May 25, 2013
Visit site
Here's my rant:

If we were all practical we would buy midrangers and keep them for 3 years.
The thing for me is I've come to the stage of my life where being practical doesnt matter anymore or at least to a certain point. Like many other people I've worked long and hard to get where I am today and I'm going to enjoy every last minute of my life without depriving myself. I recently doubled how much I normally spend on a vehicle so spending a thousand or two on smart phones every year isn't going to kill me or break me.

When it comes to the S20 I want the Ultra but I wont throw away the extra 200 for more RAM and Storage because I won't reap any benefits in usage or resale value. That's about as practical as I'm going to get till the Note 20 comes out.

Agree with you 100%, and generally that's my feeling as well... and exactly my initial thought.

Then I saw the price, gagged a bit, and saw the 75" QHD TV I could buy for the same price... and unfortunately for Samsung, (frankly maybe me too actually), that got me thinking.

I don't care about the camera, every single app/game that *I* care about/use runs just fine on my Note 9.

I've mainly been jonesing for a bigger display. Really looking at it, given the form factor and aspect ratio, how I use my phone to watch movies... the experience won't be any different than on my Note 9, as I mentioned in my OP.

So, in this particular case, thinking it through... which, mea culpa, I don't usually do, because I think like you do... I realized that regardless of the price really... I don't think I'd get any benefit that matters to me to spend even $1k.

I'm not sure if I'm making sense, but in general if the price hadn't been SO high, it wouldn't have gut checked me into thinking, and I would have just bought it, lol.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Agree with you 100%, and generally that's my feeling as well... and exactly my initial thought.

Then I saw the price, gagged a bit, and saw the 75" QHD TV I could buy for the same price... and unfortunately for Samsung, (frankly maybe me too actually), that got me thinking.

I don't care about the camera, every single app/game that *I* care about/use runs just fine on my Note 9.

I've mainly been jonesing for a bigger display. Really looking at it, given the form factor and aspect ratio, how I use my phone to watch movies... the experience won't be any different than on my Note 9, as I mentioned in my OP.

So, in this particular case, thinking it through... which, mea culpa, I don't usually do, because I think like you do... I realized that regardless of the price really... I don't think I'd get any benefit that matters to me to spend even $1k.

I'm not sure if I'm making sense, but in general if the price hadn't been SO high, it wouldn't have gut checked me into thinking, and I would have just bought it, lol.
Yeah....I get buyer's remorse sometimes even before i actually buy. I wasn't going to buy it initially and I avoided the Pixel 4XL, but since I'm sitting on two high end phones I figured let me upgrade one.

anon(50597)

Trusted Member
Aug 20, 2010
Visit site
If you can afford it and understand there is no logical reason to upgrade once or twice a year but want to anyway, go right ahead. It’s your money.

I, for one, am done feeding these multi billion dollar corporations while watching them raise prices to ridiculous levels. Until people stand up and say no, they will continue to do so.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
If you can afford it and understand there is no logical reason to upgrade once or twice a year but want to anyway, go right ahead. It’s your money.

I, for one, am done feeding these multi billion dollar corporations while watching them raise prices to ridiculous levels. Until people stand up and say no, they will continue to do so.
There is a logical reason, some want to.
Like I said earlier if we were all practical we would buy midrangers and keep them for 3 years but we're not.

anon(50597)

Trusted Member
Aug 20, 2010
Visit site
Like I said earlier if we were all practical we would buy midrangers and keep them for 3 years but we're not.

Read my post. I didn’t tell the OP not to get it.

A logical reason is not “because I want to”, logic requires justification based on some type of deductive reasoning.
The battery life is 25% better would be logic.

I then gave my opinion which you can agree or disagree with. If you enjoy paying these high prices, by all means, go ahead!

Yguideslou

May 25, 2013
Visit site

A logical reason is not “because I want to”, logic requires justification based on some type of deductive reasoning.

I then gave my opinion which you can agree or disagree with. If you enjoy paying these high prices, by all means, go ahead!

I get what you're saying... and you're right. This time, actually thinking the purchase through rather than YOLO as I usually do... I couldn't come up with a logical reason to get this phone.

In fact for what I'm looking for most, the Note 10+ is actually a better choice. Despite being a hair smaller display, by 0.1", the fact that the screen is wider... taller in landscape view... than the S20 Ultra... that would be a better experience than... an upgrade from... my Note 9, whereas oddly, S20 would not be.

In my mind you both have captured my thoughts, lol.

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
Why buy a midranger??

You can buy a flagship and have a better experience over those three years.

Bought my Note 8 when released at corporate price... skipped the 9 and 10 with no regrets keeping it the last two years. The best $450 I spent.

Spend the money on the flagship if you can. For one it will make it enjoyable at least the first year because you didn't leave anything on the table and spend that year wishing you got the flagship. My Co-worker got the Note 9 (2 Note 9's BOGO with our corp account for $500!!). I think he has stereo speakers but besides for that we really couldn't tell the two apart. Note 10 I'm thinking the in-glass FPS is fancy and tempted but now I'm glad since I read from some it's crap and they go face ID anyways. So now I look back and think I didn't miss much in years two and three.

Now I or family am not against going with a new phone after a year... wife went with iPhone 10 with max storage to the 11 Pro because she wanted the triple cameras... it's just that the phone and features have to really make a difference... and it's just my opinion but I didn't see it in the 9 and 10.

The Note 8 is finally getting a tad sluggish and the battery a tad weaker, so now I'm taking a more serious look at what will be available this year.

If you bought a mid-range phone and tried to go three years... you'd probably be experiencing after one year what I am experiencing after two and going on three. I may get the Ultra and maybe I'll be good for another 2 going 3 years. ;)

anon(50597)

Trusted Member
Aug 20, 2010
Visit site
I get what you're saying... and you're right. This time, actually thinking the purchase through rather than YOLO as I usually do... I couldn't come up with a logical reason to get this phone.

In fact for what I'm looking for most, the Note 10+ is actually a better choice. Despite being a hair smaller display, by 0.1", the fact that the screen is wider... taller in landscape view... than the S20 Ultra... that would be a better experience than... an upgrade from... my Note 9, whereas oddly, S20 would not be.

In my mind you both have captured my thoughts, lol.

I could see you were in a quandary. After a while, instead of just handing out our money, many of us begin to look at value. Of course, value can mean different things to different people. Only you can determine that.

Good thread! I think it’s good to bring up this subject once in a while. This way we can have a small voice in where these products go in the future.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site

I did read your post....I then gave my opinion and never said or implied that you told the OP not to get it. Everyone's logic is different and doesnt require deductive reasoning. If you dont enjoy buying shiny new toys that's on you.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pauloxcavalcante