Just a small regurgitation of my feelings on this phone…

anon(50597)

Trusted Member
Aug 20, 2010
Visit site
Why buy a midranger??

You can buy a flagship and have a better experience over those three years.

Bought my Note 8 when released at corporate price... skipped the 9 and 10 with no regrets keeping it the last two years. The best $450 I spent.

Spend the money on the flagship if you can. For one it will make it enjoyable at least the first year because you didn't leave anything on the table and spend that year wishing you got the flagship. My Co-worker got the Note 9 (2 Note 9's BOGO with our corp account for $500!!). I think he has stereo speakers but besides for that we really couldn't tell the two apart. Note 10 I'm thinking the in-glass FPS is fancy and tempted but now I'm glad since I read from some it's crap and they go face ID anyways. So now I look back and think I didn't miss much in years two and three.

Now I or family am not against going with a new phone after a year... wife went with iPhone 10 with max storage to the 11 Pro because she wanted the triple cameras... it's just that the phone and features have to really make a difference... and it's just my opinion but I didn't see it in the 9 and 10.

The Note 8 is finally getting a tad sluggish and the battery a tad weaker, so now I'm taking a more serious look at what will be available this year.

If you bought a mid-range phone and tried to go three years... you'd probably be experiencing after one year what I am experiencing after two and going on three. I may get the Ultra and maybe I'll be good for another 2 going 3 years. ;)

This is another good way to look at it. Buying a modern top of the line device could get you through a few years. That’s subjunctive again. Depending on what device, updates, etc. some people can go even longer.

As far as mid-range, I am currently using a Nokia 7.1 and it’s meeting my needs. Will it in a couple of years? That I’m not sure. I don’t need flagship but I do expect security updates and at least a couple OS updates. I’m actually thinking of getting the Pixel 4a when it comes out. I believe that could easily last me 3 years.

Bottom line is we are all different. What do you want, need, etc. The great thing with Android is there is choice.

anon(50597)

Trusted Member
Aug 20, 2010
Visit site
I did read your post....I then gave my opinion and never said or implied that you told the OP not to get it. Everyone's logic is different and doesnt require deductive reasoning. If you dont enjoy buying shiny new toys that's on you.

While everyone’s logic is certainly different, buying something because it’s “shiny and new” is illogical. It’s the reason marketing departments exist and sales people make so much money. They know our brains are wired to stop thinking logically when that “toy” is dangled in front of us.

I’m not here to argue with you, I’m here to continue an interesting conversation with the others who also find it interesting.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
While everyone’s logic is certainly different, buying something because it’s “shiny and new” is illogical. It’s the reason marketing departments exist and sales people make so much money. They know our brains are wired to stop thinking logically when that “toy” is dangled in front of us.

I’m not here to argue with you, I’m here to continue an interesting conversation with the others who also find it interesting.

Its not illogical if it makes someone happy. For some people it's a hobby and it keeps the economy going and puts people to work. I review cell phone accessories, so for myself I have to stay current to pursue that hobby. That may not make sense to you, but that doesnt make it illogical. We all have our vices and quite often we dont see other people's logic because we see things based on our likes, needs, means and how much disposable income we have. Some people like spending their money polluting their lungs with cigarettes or gambling their money away. I'd rather buy the latest tech. Can't wait for the Note 20!

anon(50597)

Trusted Member
Aug 20, 2010
Visit site
Its not illogical if it makes someone happy. For some people it's a hobby and it keeps the economy going and puts people to work. I review cell phone accessories, so for myself I have to stay current to pursue that hobby. That may not make sense to you, but that doesnt make it illogical. We all have our vices and quite often we dont see other people's logic because we see things based on our likes, needs, means and how much disposable income we have. Some people like spending their money polluting their lungs with cigarettes or gambling their money away. I'd rather buy the latest tech. Can't wait for the Note 20!

Do you review accessories here or do you have a website/ blog?

clerk

May 16, 2016
Visit site
This seems to be overlooked. The wider display of the note 10 plus is a godsend. It renders text completely differently than other phones. Its amazing. When I got the pro max I was immediately disappointed by the narrower screen for reading. Will the ultra cut off that wide reading pane? Because if it will I don't want it. The Note is amazing for text.

msm0511

Trusted Member
Aug 23, 2014
Visit site
This seems to be overlooked. The wider display of the note 10 plus is a godsend. It renders text completely differently than other phones. Its amazing. When I got the pro max I was immediately disappointed by the narrower screen for reading. Will the ultra cut off that wide reading pane? Because if it will I don't want it. The Note is amazing for text.

iOS renders text differently regardless of the aspect ratio. Even when my Android phones and iPhones were both more or less 16:9 if I loaded the same page, email, what have you, the text wasn’t rendered in the same way. I’m sure I’m not explaining it properly.

jtcannonball

Trusted Member
Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
I used to buy the top of the line iPhone, and a flagship Android phone every year. Starting with the XS Max I decided I had to switch to alternating years with an iPhone one year, flagship Android the next. Now seeing the prices of The S20 Ultra, and assuming what's gonna happen with the prices when the iPhone gets 5G this year I'm doubting that even makes sense anymore.

I currently still have the XS Max and the Note 10+. Both are great phones, and the Note is one of my favorite phones of all time. Like you though, I believe I've hit a price ceiling of upgrading every year, much less twice a year. It just doesn't seem worth it anymore. Then after adding in a smart watch (I know I don't have to have a smart watch, but I like them), it's crazy the amount of money these devices are costing.

I always go on about cameras in phones, wanting the newest and best. But when I look back at the photos I've taken recently, my HTC U12+ from 2 years ago could handle every pic I've taken just as well. So while I say I'm going to get more serious with mobile photography, I never actually do.

Long story short, I made the decision a couple days ago that upgrading so often is just not in the cards for me anymore. The costs have gotten to the point they outweigh the benefits for me. As long as my Note 10+ is getting regular security updates and the battery life is still good I'm gonna hold off until the advancements are truly meaningful for me.

Very well said, that is what I'm doing as well. I can't swing the big prices, well I can but I don't want to swing those prices anymore. I've got other things I like to spend money on and swapping out phones that don't truly offer more than what I have is just throwing away money in my opinion at this time due to the increasing costs.

Yguideslou

May 25, 2013
Visit site
Very well said, that is what I'm doing as well. I can't swing the big prices, well I can but I don't want to swing those prices anymore. I've got other things I like to spend money on and swapping out phones that don't truly offer more than what I have is just throwing away money in my opinion at this time due to the increasing costs.

EXACTAMUNDO !!

Can, but no longer worth it, (to me), for incremental changes, when at the same price point I can replace my 8 yr old 46" 1080P TV, with a 75" QHD TV, lol.

RedMage36

Aug 30, 2018
Visit site
EXACTAMUNDO !!

Can, but no longer worth it, (to me), for incremental changes, when at the same price point I can replace my 8 yr old 46" 1080P TV, with a 75" QHD TV, lol.

You are right..i love cell phones, in fact, im thinking of rebuying my note 9 that i traded in and even my note 8, all different colors on Swappa where it will be cheaper. I just like to collect them, but now..its going to have to be a least a 2 year wait in between. This is getting to be very expensive.

anon(50597)

Trusted Member
Aug 20, 2010
Visit site
EXACTAMUNDO !!

I believe smartphones have developed to where they can last much longer. Changes are only incremental, not large. With the variety of phones we can choose which one is best for us and hold onto it longer.

me just saying

Jul 18, 2015
Visit site

I used to be that way with computers. get the latest and IMO, the greatest. now I just get the walmart specials for around 300 bucks and they do everything I need it to do. With the way phone prices keep going up, the note 10+ might be the last latest and greatest, especially since I don't use most of the new features anymore.

Ninjarette

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
$@$% Samsung for pricing this SO high, lol. I don’t usually examine my phone usage/patterns this much… or at all frankly, lol. I just get the latest and greatest. I can afford it, it’s my jam/vice, so why not? I can afford this phone too, even at the $166+tax, ($1712), mark… but looking in the Samsung Shop app… for that same $1700 I can get a 75”, QHD TV !!!!! I swear to you, that I think seeing that in the app is what really sent me over the edge of… wow… sounding like my wife… do I really want to spend THAT much money on a PHONE??? … yes, it’s much

Ah, well… I guess I’m wondering if there’s anyone else out there like me who may have finally hit their price tolerance limit? Or is thinking like I am for the first time about “my phone really does serve my needs well, and think of what else I could get for that much money?”

Thanks.

Take care,
Lou

You're spot on....and I adore Samsung flagships. I ordered the S20+ (I don't like the big, eyesore camera on the back of the Ultra), and I had to reaaaaly think about it. But I think this is the last frontier for me. I will NOT spend $1500+ on a phone. I'm coming close with the 512 S20+, and my eyes watered a bit when I saw the price in the cart. I always get insurance on my phones, and I got higher insurance than I usually get ($15 vs the old $8.99), because it has a lower deductible of $29 for a cracked screen. I have never cracked or scratched my phone screen, but it would be just my luck with this phone, and the idea of a cracked screen makes me dizzy.

For the first time in some years, I'm not looking to upgrade next year. Matter of fact, I wasn't even seriosly tracking developments on the S20, because of the cost of my ceramic, 512 S10+ I have now. The only thing that saved me is there's no ceramic option.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol