120Hz Update for S20 Ultra

mxrider821

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
Do you think they'll be a future update for 120Hz at WQHD+ or will it forever be stuck on FHD+ and have to use that? 1080p compared to 2K+ is a big difference IMO because I'm a photographer/videographer and I want to keep the sharpness because that's all I use on my Note 10+ and my previous devices...

Do you think a future update well allow this to be changed or will we have to wait for the Note 11/20 in September for this feature??

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Unlikely. This was rumored waaaaay before the device was announced and the same 'uproar' as you're describing erupted from every forum and post out there. Yet, it was still released as is. It's a compromise you'll have to live with, at least until they figure out power optimization on such a refresh rate/panel size/resolution.

mxrider821

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
Unlikely. This was rumored waaaaay before the device was announced and the same 'uproar' as you're describing erupted from every forum and post out there. Yet, it was still released as is. It's a compromise you'll have to live with, at least until they figure out power optimization on such a refresh rate/panel size/resolution.

Yeah, however rumors are JUST rumors until it's official so that's that. Anyways, I don't think it's going to happen, but I just wanted to get everyone else's thoughts. 🤔 💭

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, but what I meant is that if Samsung was concerned about people reacting to this, they had plenty of time to react...and they didn't. So chances are this particular change doesn't make sense in their books and it's unlikely to come down the line unless it's with a hardware refresh (i.e. new phone).

msm0511

Trusted Member
Aug 23, 2014
Visit site
Yeah, but what I meant is that if Samsung was concerned about people reacting to this, they had plenty of time to react...and they didn't. So chances are this particular change doesn't make sense in their books and it's unlikely to come down the line unless it's with a hardware refresh (i.e. new phone).

I agree. I bet the Note 20 will get 120 at any resolution.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Do you think they'll be a future update for 120Hz at WQHD+ or will it forever be stuck on FHD+ and have to use that? 1080p compared to 2K+ is a big difference IMO because I'm a photographer/videographer and I want to keep the sharpness because that's all I use on my Note 10+ and my previous devices...

Do you think a future update well allow this to be changed or will we have to wait for the Note 11/20 in September for this feature??
I'm not sure if it's a software issue or a hardware constraint.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I think this is much ado about nothing. I've taken an interest in photography, so I get where you're coming from. In my opinion, I think anything over 1080p on a phone is overkill. Even the difference between 720p and 1080p is pretty negligible. When it comes to screen refresh rate, there is a noticeable difference between 60 and 90 fps, but the difference between 90 to 120 fps is only noticeable in a few specific situations and those don't even matter when it comes to real world use. My current phone is capable of 120Hz, but I leave it at 90Hz.

cardboard60

Apr 10, 2014
Visit site

I won't have to live with it.
Cause I ain't upgrading.
It's time for engineers at carriers to put out what we want.
And quit screwing up what we liked.
And the prices to come down.
1000.00 every year.
It ain't worth it for small upgrades.

Last edited:

EMGSM

Trusted Member
Apr 8, 2015
Visit site
I won't have to live with it.
Cause I ain't upgrading.
It's time for engineers at carriers to put out what we want.
And quit screwing up what we liked.
And the prices to come down.
1000.00 every year.
It ain't worth it for small upgrades.

I agree. Those price just keep going up every phone release. I would be nice if I could get a raise just as often.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I agree. Those price just keep going up every phone release. I would be nice if I could get a raise just as often.
Yeah, but who's actually paying full MSRP? People upgrading every year or sooner are either trading in for massive discounts or selling their current phone to cover a large portion of the cost. Those keeping phones long term may pay a bit more due to not getting in on the best trade in deals, but they recoup that by keeping the phone 2 years or more.

EMGSM

Trusted Member
Apr 8, 2015
Visit site
Yeah, but who's actually paying full MSRP? People upgrading every year or sooner are either trading in for massive discounts or selling their current phone to cover a large portion of the cost. Those keeping phones long term may pay a bit more due to not getting in on the best trade in deals, but they recoup that by keeping the phone 2 years or more.

That's true. This year I won't be trading in though just because I want to keep my Note 10+.