This is probably a dumb question, but why should I pay the upgrade fee at ATT for a new SIM for the S20? Can I not just take the SIM out of my old Android and use it in the S20? Would I lose some functionality by using the old SIM? Curious.

This is obviously not an S20 specific question; but since I'm planning to buy an S20, I thought I would ask it here.
    02-16-2020 03:53 PM
    How old is your "old Android"? Current devices use a nano SIM.

If your "old Android" is more than 4 years old it may use a larger micro SIM or even the original (much larger) SIM card.
    02-16-2020 04:15 PM
    You probably wouldn't. And it's not an irrevocable decision. Put the old SIM into the S20 and see what happens. (And if it doesn't work correctly [it will work], ask where the Device Support Center is, and bring it to them and ask them if they could please fix <whatever isn't working>. [I've had them put 3 different SIMs into a phone to get it working - no charge. It's almost as if they win a prize for giving away the most SIMs.])

What they might charge you an upgrade fee for, though, is to go from 4G LTE to 5G Evolution.
    02-16-2020 04:16 PM
    This is probably a dumb question, but why should I pay the upgrade fee at ATT for a new SIM for the S20? Can I not just take the SIM out of my old Android and use it in the S20? Would I lose some functionality by using the old SIM? Curious.

This is obviously not an S20 specific question; but since I'm planning to buy an S20, I thought I would ask it here.
    It should work as long as it's the same size
    02-16-2020 07:48 PM
    Worked for me last year for upgrade from S9+ to S10+. Purchased AT&T version from Samsung without activation (they had an option to activate it) . Switched SIM card and it worked. I didn't go with AT&T financing.
    02-16-2020 08:01 PM
    Worked for me last year for upgrade from S9+ to S10+. Purchased AT&T version from Samsung without activation (they had an option to activate it) . Switched SIM card and it worked. I didn't go with AT&T financing.
    I'm planning on purchasing an AT&T version of the S20 Ultra from Samsung this year as well. When I swap out the SIM from my S10 should I at least call AT&T to have them update the phone information in their system? The customer service rep I spoke with last week said they can only charge an upgrade fee if you buy the phone directly from AT&T.
    02-16-2020 11:37 PM
    I'm planning on purchasing an AT&T version of the S20 Ultra from Samsung this year as well. When I swap out the SIM from my S10 should I at least call AT&T to have them update the phone information in their system? The customer service rep I spoke with last week said they can only charge an upgrade fee if you buy the phone directly from AT&T.
    NOT true. My wife upgraded to an iPhone 11 purchased at the Apple store. The Apple Store activated it when she picked it up. We probably should not have had them do that. The SIM in her old iPhone was the same size as the new one, but ATT still charged a $30.00 plus sales tax "Upgrade Fee".
    02-17-2020 05:53 AM
    NOT true. My wife upgraded to an iPhone 11 purchased at the Apple store. The Apple Store activated it when she picked it up. We probably should not have had them do that. The SIM in her old iPhone was the same size as the new one, but ATT still charged a $30.00 plus sales tax "Upgrade Fee".
    Verizon did the same thing to my wife and daughter. I called and complained because I had told them to just swap sims but the salesman at Apple convinced them they might have problems. Verizon dropped the charges.
    02-17-2020 08:01 AM
    I always use my old sim b/c anytime you activate a new sim you run the risk of unnecessary activation fees.
    02-17-2020 08:39 AM
    I always use my old sim b/c anytime you activate a new sim you run the risk of unnecessary activation fees.
    Thanks. Also, at this point, I'd like to dodge any extra 5G fees.
    02-17-2020 09:01 AM