Why pay $200 for 512GB internal?

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Get a never start from Walmart. Phones are more important anyways. At least you can use it to call in to work when the truck won't start. ������
What are you talking about? With the S20 Ultra 5000mAh battery you can jump start the truck.

Ninjarette

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
I have the 512 S10+ and 256 Note 10+. Honestly 256 covers me well even with hi res music files. I do not run apps on SD. The 8K video has me concerned though. I can make do with 128 but now I'm not sure I want to. What sucks about paying for extra storage is it does not mean much for resale and means nothing on trade in.

Well, for me, this may be the last year I upgrade yearly. I've said that the last couple of years, and I always cave. But I'm not going to spend $1500 on a phone, and the S20+ with 512gb of storage is dangerously close. There's a psychological block for me. So I need 512 to cover me for at least a couple of years.

I "could" keep my S10+ and be fine. I really don't need a new phone. I just want one, and I love Samsung phones.

jessewaldo

Feb 9, 2020
Visit site
Well, for me, this may be the last year I upgrade yearly. I've said that the last couple of years, and I always cave. But I'm not going to spend $1500 on a phone, and the S20+ with 512gb of storage is dangerously close. There's a psychological block for me. So I need 512 to cover me for at least a couple of years.

I "could" keep my S10+ and be fine. I really don't need a new phone. I just want one, and I love Samsung phones.

I've been thinking the same. Phones are getting too expensive now to do yearly upgrades. I can afford it, but... I'm going to try and do every other year after this. Unless there's a huge advancement next year. Not likely though except battery tech.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site

None of us in here need a new phone....I'm with you.....lol

The sick part is I'll probably buy the Note 20 Ultra if they make one and keep both like I have now with S10+ and Note 10+.

msm0511

Trusted Member
Aug 23, 2014
Visit site
Internet search mentioned V30 and V90. Is it just about read and write speed or is there another secret ingredient. These SD card people are notoriously deviant.

The number after the V class is the minimum sustained speeds. You need higher minimum sustained speeds for higher resolutions. I actually like how the V cards give the minimum instead of a peak speed like all other cards. The UHS-3 I mentioned earlier is basically the same as a V30 as far as the sustained speeds. Now whether or not that would be sufficient with 8K I'm not 100% sure. What I would suggest is to get at least a V30 or UHS-3 card, film with internal storage, then move to the SD card. That way you get the maximum performance out of the phone while recording, but you don't necessarily have to keep it there for playback.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
The number after the V class is the minimum sustained speeds. You need higher minimum sustained speeds for higher resolutions. I actually like how the V cards give the minimum instead of a peak speed like all other cards. The UHS-3 I mentioned earlier is basically the same as a V30 as far as the sustained fees. Now whether or not that would be sufficient with 8K I'm not 100% sure. What I would suggest is to get at least a V30 or UHS-3 card, film with internal storage, then move to the SD card. That way you get the maximum performance out of the phone while recording, but you don't necessarily have to keep it there for playback.
I may do that but I'm almost in the "get the 512 Ultra Camp". I started there and got talked into 128. I just hate that the extra money doesn't trade in for an extra hundred....lol
I'll probably get the 512 and buy a card too...lol

durandetto

Trusted Member
Dec 3, 2009
Visit site
Get a never start from Walmart. Phones are more important anyways. At least you can use it to call in to work when the truck won't start. ������
Unfortunately I'm a master mechanic and being broke down is a bad look. I'll just get both and pinch penny's somewhere else. I'm in the process of quiting chewing tobacco, so I'll be saving $25 a week from that. Plus my truck is tied for first with cell phones for my top hobbies.
52e531d3266526312c6552d8337830b5.jpg

durandetto

Trusted Member
Dec 3, 2009
Visit site
What are you talking about? With the S20 Ultra 5000mAh battery you can jump start the truck.
Maybe Samsung will make an adapter for that one day. Unfortunately for me my battery isn't completely dead. It just causes a drop in voltage every once in a while causing my radio to stop playing sound for a few ignition cycles. I don't know about you, but driving without music is not OK.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Maybe Samsung will make an adapter for that one day. Unfortunately for me my battery isn't completely dead. It just causes a drop in voltage every once in a while causing my radio to stop playing sound for a few ignition cycles. I don't know about you, but driving without music is not OK.
That would drive me nuts....I'd replace that as soon as humanly possible. I don't want to veer to far off topic but Isn't that putting excessive load on the alternator or that doesn't matter much these days?

durandetto

Trusted Member
Dec 3, 2009
Visit site
That would drive me nuts....I'd replace that as soon as humanly possible. I don't want to veer to far off topic but Isn't that putting excessive load on the alternator or that doesn't matter much these days?
The alternator will be fine but all of the modules will start acting up from the slight voltage drop causing voltage codes and other weird problems until the truck decides not to start. The radio module is just the first to get angry about the weak battery.

Beth Hahn

Feb 28, 2018
Visit site
I usually always get the Samsung Evo select cards as they have never failed me. But don't you need a card that supports a1 or a2 to be able to move apps to the SD card? Does Samsung even offer those cards? I know SanDisk does but not sure about their fail rates

illdini

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Samsung doesn't officially rate their cards A1 or A2 for some reason. I've played around with moving apps to my Evo Select card, apps look like they run OK but I probably wouldn't move any apps that I use on a regular basis there. I'm thinking of switching to Sandisk Extreme depending on if I find a good head-to-head write speed test comparison with the Samsung cards.

illdini

May 17, 2010
Visit site
The 256 GB Samsung Evo Select is selling for $34.99 on Amazon. Hopefully, that should be fast enough (I still haven't seen anything about the S20 recording directly to microSD).

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
The 256 GB Samsung Evo Select is selling for $34.99 on Amazon. Hopefully, that should be fast enough (I still haven't seen anything about the S20 recording directly to microSD).
Good point....it probably does not record to the card. The save options in my Note10 only mention photos. Still, the one thing to avoid is completely filling up internal memory. I've heard of at least 2 cases where that prevented a Pixel owner from rebooting their device. They were on vacation with no connection to back up their media and lost it when they factory reset. Not sure if there is any protection from that happening on Samsungs.

Last edited:

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I usually always get the Samsung Evo select cards as they have never failed me. But don't you need a card that supports a1 or a2 to be able to move apps to the SD card? Does Samsung even offer those cards? I know SanDisk does but not sure about their fail rates
The speed rating has nothing to do with the ability to move apps to the SD card. That all depends on the phone manufacturer and app developers, and more and more do not allow this. It's not even advisable due to the high risk of early corruption of the SD card and resulting data loss.

AlphaBeepBeep

Apr 17, 2019
Visit site
I’m interested in the S20 ultra but I hate how it only comes in boring colors. Worse, the boring color id like to get (gray) I cant get in 512.

I’m glad Apple doesn’t do this. If I want a red iPhone 11 in the highest storage possible (256) I can get it.

Dualmonitors

Oct 1, 2010
Visit site
I'm likewise not joyously happy about only having black as the ONLY color option on Samsung.com for the S20 Ultra 512GB.

Still, having a black phone for 12 months is of little concern to me, especially since I use a plain white pop socket on the back to help me grip due to a hand injury.

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol