Why pay $200 for 512GB internal?

dgcorn

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Other than the some need for 1.5TB combined, is there a good reason to get 512GB internal as opposed to 128GB internal and xxxGB external?

jessewaldo

Feb 9, 2020
Visit site
Other than the some need for 1.5TB combined, is there a good reason to get 512GB internal as opposed to 128GB internal and xxxGB external?

Faster loading of music stored internally? Same with video stored internally. Likely faster saving 8k video?

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
It'll make the phone more future-proof. Apps are getting larger, requiring more space space because you can't move them to the SD card. Plus the speed and reliability benefits vs an SD card. Don't get me wrong, I love having an SD card for storing independent files, but I also suggest buying the largest internal storage option you can reasonably afford.

Dualmonitors

Oct 1, 2010
Visit site
some apps do not allow using external storage.

considering how there is some minor cost of buying a storage card (however minimal), plus there is the additional RAM, i decided that i'm going for the 512gb so i won't have to buy an external card and would not have to think about having sufficient storage this time around at all.

just enjoy the fastest possible storage (internal built-in memory) and forget about memory capacity as 512gb will be sufficient for my needs.

all this for $200 more, a bit costly, but i'm willing to do it so i won't have to deal with external versus internal storage for any apps anymore this time around.

hasasimo

May 3, 2014
Visit site
I'm still pissed off that Samsung isn't offering anything more than a 128gb model for the regular S20. I have the 512gb variant of the S10. It makes no sense how many steps backwards they took with this S20 line, for any improvements they also made. One step forward, one step back.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
some apps do not allow using external storage.

considering how there is some minor cost of buying a storage card (however minimal), plus there is the additional RAM, i decided that i'm going for the 512gb so i won't have to buy an external card and would not have to think about having sufficient storage this time around at all.

just enjoy the fastest possible storage (internal built-in memory) and forget about memory capacity as 512gb will be sufficient for my needs.

all this for $200 more, a bit costly, but i'm willing to do it so i won't have to deal with external versus internal storage for any apps anymore this time around.
You're almost convincing me....I hate that the 512 is black only. I dont store apps externally but I have high res music files. I'm also not sure my 200GB sd card is fast enough for 8K recording. I bought it almost 4 years ago so I'm not sure if its adequate. Would have to look at the speed. A big card wont be cheap either.

Last edited:

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
I'm still pissed off that Samsung isn't offering anything more than a 128gb model for the regular S20. I have the 512gb variant of the S10. It makes no sense how many steps backwards they took with this S20 line, for any improvements they also made. One step forward, one step back.
I understand what you're saying but they probably did some kind of consumer study that showed most consumers didn't want 512 in the S20. Had they made it 256 like the Note 10+ it probably would be more palatable. I hate that the Uktra 512 only seems to be available in black. I was all set to get the 128 but now I'm thinking that might be tight with 8K video. I'm not sure how well 8K would run on my SD card. Might have to get a faster card so like someone already mentioned by the time you buy a card you're up near the 200 dollar difference anyway.

durandetto

Trusted Member
Dec 3, 2009
Visit site
I can't understand why the ultra would even have an option for 128gb. 256 should have been the base option on a $1400 phone. For the price 512gb should be the base option. If they're gonna charge a premium price they shouldn't skimp on the basics. I would love to pay 0 down, but I'm waiting for the phone that I'll be able to enjoy for more than 7 or 8 months and if this one is it I want the bigger storage and RAM.

Ninjarette

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
I would never buy a phone with only 128gb of internal space, at this point in time, and probably not 256 either. 512gb on board is a nice sweet spot. I don't need anything more than that. I have cloud storage for files and documents. I prefer to run apps from my phone, and not an SD card.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Does anyone know if this card based on the older standard would support 8K? It's a 90mb/s but it's not a V90 which is also 90mb/s but I'm not that up on cards and not certain if there is something else to the equation. My guess is it should.Screenshot_20200218-205722_Chrome.jpeg

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
I can't understand why the ultra would even have an option for 128gb. 256 should have been the base option on a $1400 phone. For the price 512gb should be the base option. If they're gonna charge a premium price they shouldn't skimp on the basics. I would love to pay 0 down, but I'm waiting for the phone that I'll be able to enjoy for more than 7 or 8 months and if this one is it I want the bigger storage and RAM.
I agree, 128 is small as a starting point. There are some people who will not fill it but it should not have been the base. 256 was the base for the Note 10+. and it was cheaper by far.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
I would never buy a phone with only 128gb of internal space, at this point in time, and probably not 256 either. 512gb on board is a nice sweet spot. I don't need anything more than that. I have cloud storage for files and documents. I prefer to run apps from my phone, and not an SD card.

I have the 512 S10+ and 256 Note 10+. Honestly 256 covers me well even with hi res music files. I do not run apps on SD. The 8K video has me concerned though. I can make do with 128 but now I'm not sure I want to. What sucks about paying for extra storage is it does not mean much for resale and means nothing on trade in.

hasasimo

May 3, 2014
Visit site
I understand what you're saying but they probably did some kind of consumer study that showed most consumers didn't want 512 in the S20. Had they made it 256 like the Note 10+ it probably would be more palatable. I hate that the Uktra 512 only seems to be available in black. I was all set to get the 128 but now I'm thinking that might be tight with 8K video. I'm not sure how well 8K would run on my SD card. Might have to get a faster card so like someone already mentioned by the time you buy a card you're up near the 200 dollar difference anyway.

That crossed my mind as well, but I think it's more likely laziness on Samsung's part, just like with the color options. I think if their research was that accurate, they wouldn't have taken out SD card support on the Note5, only to get serious backlash, then do it again on the Note10 (non-plus). There are a few examples of them doing something, then going back on it.

Would have made a lot more sense for base storage to be 256gb, like you said. Good thing I don't plan on shooting any 8K video.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Does anyone know if this card based on the older standard would support 8K? It's a 90mb/s but it's not a V90 which is also 90mb/s but I'm not that up on cards and not certain if there is something else to the equation. My guess is it should.View attachment 316710

I'm not completely familiar either, but I think the V90 means it can sustain 90mb/s write speed (not simply a peak/burst speed). That screenshot only claims 90mb/s read speeds, but otherwise only claims Class 10 write speeds. It may work for low and medium bit rate 1080p, but may struggle with high bit rate 1080p. Higher resolutions are likely out of the question.

durandetto

Trusted Member
Dec 3, 2009
Visit site
Just checked the storage on my note 10+ and I'm at 90gb used. With 8k video I would definitely go over 128 and I was really hoping to get away from SD cards. Looks like $200 down payment on the 512 ultra it is. Which sucks because I have to buy a $200 battery for my truck this week too.

jessewaldo

Feb 9, 2020
Visit site
Just checked the storage on my note 10+ and I'm at 90gb used. With 8k video I would definitely go over 128 and I was really hoping to get away from SD cards. Looks like $200 down payment on the 512 ultra it is. Which sucks because I have to buy a $200 battery for my truck this week too.

Get a never start from Walmart. Phones are more important anyways. At least you can use it to call in to work when the truck won't start. ??????

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
I'm right there with you at 87GB out of 256. That's with no music stored. Just apps and maybe so photos because most everything is backed up to the cloud. 512 it's going to have to be. I'll have to eat pasta for a month and buy cheap bourbon.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nayminthuyain888