Is it easier to preorder a carrier version or are the allotments and orders roughly the same? Is it easier to secure a carrier version through samsung and guarantee a launch day device then opting for an unlocked model?
    02-20-2020 07:54 PM
    Internationally, yes, unlocked is more popular. Stateside, pre-orders through carriers are more popular. I have not noticed much of a difference in when Samsung pre-orders ship vs. carriers.
    02-20-2020 08:11 PM
    In the US, 0.00001% care about unlocked orders and those are present mostly here and forums like this. Rest all buy whatever their carrier sells.

In terms getting at launch, if you pre order within the first couple of days you are pretty much guaranteed to get any version on time.
    02-20-2020 08:17 PM
    In the US, 0.00001% care about unlocked orders and those are present mostly here and forums like this. Rest all buy whatever their carrier sells.

In terms getting at launch, if you pre order within the first couple of days you are pretty much guaranteed to get any version on time.
    Last year purchasing an unlocked Note 10 rewarded us with a higher trade in credit.
    bhatech likes this.
    02-20-2020 10:18 PM
    Last year purchasing an unlocked Note 10 rewarded us with a higher trade in credit.
    That's true, and that was straight from Samsung. Samsung offered less for a carrier model trade-in than for the unlocked model. Quite strange. It's almost like they expected excess unlocked stock vs. carrier stock.
    02-20-2020 10:26 PM
    Well last night a bunch of us ordering from Samsung directly found out ina nasty surprise that wasn’t indicated during the reservation process that full promised values for our trade ins would not happen for AT&T models unless we took the AT&T financing options. I have always paid in full to Samsung and just gone and moved my existing AT&T Sim into the new phone. I can’t have WiFi calling without the AT&T model. In the past I couldn’t get updates either but I’m told that’s changed, thankfully. I went ahead and got the unlocked model.
    Angmoe and pags11 like this.
    02-21-2020 05:56 AM
    Well last night a bunch of us ordering from Samsung directly found out ina nasty surprise that wasn’t indicated during the reservation process that full promised values for our trade ins would not happen for AT&T models unless we took the AT&T financing options. I have always paid in full to Samsung and just gone and moved my existing AT&T Sim into the new phone. I can’t have WiFi calling without the AT&T model. In the past I couldn’t get updates either but I’m told that’s changed, thankfully. I went ahead and got the unlocked model.
    This is same for the Verizon phone. So looks like I'm buying unlocked. I don't want to be locked into paying Verizon for 24 months.
    02-21-2020 06:21 AM
    I ordered the unlocked S20 Ultra due to the 512gb version not being available on AT&T. Also, the $700 trade in from my Note 10+ was greatly reduced unless I financed through AT&T which I did not want to do as I usually pay in full. Hopefully AT&T will do as they did on the Galaxy S10 and eventually enable their "Advanced Services" on the unlocked S20 via update. I had the unlocked Note 10+ for a short time and ended up returning it and getting the AT&T version due to the unlocked one not having Wifi Calling or VoLTE enabled.
    02-21-2020 08:38 AM
    I ordered the unlocked S20 Ultra due to the 512gb version not being available on AT&T. Also, the $700 trade in from my Note 10+ was greatly reduced unless I financed through AT&T which I did not want to do as I usually pay in full. Hopefully AT&T will do as they did on the Galaxy S10 and eventually enable their "Advanced Services" on the unlocked S20 via update. I had the unlocked Note 10+ for a short time and ended up returning it and getting the AT&T version due to the unlocked one not having Wifi Calling or VoLTE enabled.
    It was reported by Pcmag that the unlocked s20 variant will support carrier features like hdvoice and wifi calling. https://www.pcmag.com/news/samsung-g...rrier-5g-phone
    02-21-2020 09:09 AM
    It was reported by Pcmag that the unlocked s20 variant will support carrier features like hdvoice and wifi calling. https://www.pcmag.com/news/samsung-g...rrier-5g-phone
    That's great if it accurate
    02-21-2020 10:44 AM
    That's been the case for years now. Hope that doesn't change, even though I usually go through T-Mobile.
    02-21-2020 12:59 PM
    Yeah this had been said for past devices and was never the case for AT&T. Hopefully that will change with the S20 line but we won't know until we receive the devices.
    02-21-2020 06:04 PM
    That's been the case for years now. Hope that doesn't change, even though I usually go through T-Mobile.
    Not for all carriers, would be new for at&t, so I hope it is right.
    bhatech likes this.
    02-21-2020 06:07 PM
    That's never been the case for years on US unlocked models, especially on T-Mobile WiFi calling, VoLTE always worked on them. Verizon from the last couple of releases it's been working. Only AT&T is the hold out in terms of WiFi calling and other carrier features working.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    02-22-2020 06:18 PM
    That's never been the case for years on US unlocked models, especially on T-Mobile WiFi calling, VoLTE always worked on them. Verizon from the last couple of releases it's been working. Only AT&T is the hold out in terms of WiFi calling and other carrier features working.
    So it's been the case for years, except for AT&T.
    02-22-2020 07:21 PM
    So it's been the case for years, except for AT&T.
    Oh you were saying the same, i understood the other way
    02-22-2020 07:26 PM
    I have carrier and unlocked versions and dont see a difference in hd voice
    02-22-2020 08:22 PM
    Oh you were saying the same, i understood the other way
    I failed to include the AT&T qualifier, so I was correcting the statement lol.
    02-22-2020 08:29 PM
    I have carrier and unlocked versions and dont see a difference in hd voice
    Which carrier?
    02-22-2020 11:47 PM
    verizon
    02-23-2020 02:14 AM