03-05-2020 12:09 PM
26 12
tools
    According to this article
    https://www.pcmag.com/news/samsung-g...rrier-5g-phone

I've also heard that the unlocked unit will support voice-over-LTE and Wi-Fi calling on all carriers. AT&T, especially, tends to be testy about allowing those features on unlocked phones, citing software compatibilities. But the carrier says you should be good to go with this one.
    Can anyone confirm/deny this? Specifically about ATT?

Would be awesome if the unlocked version of the phone will have Wifi calling and VOLTE
    Lobwedgephil likes this.
    02-21-2020 05:30 PM
    Hope that is true as I have unlocked model coming and am on At&t, but will believe its when I see it. That said, they added these features to unlocked Pixels, so hopefully this is the next step.
    02-21-2020 05:44 PM
    Yeah I'll believe it when I see it.
    02-21-2020 05:54 PM
    Hope that is true as I have unlocked model coming and am on At&t, but will believe its when I see it. That said, they added these features to unlocked Pixels, so hopefully this is the next step.
    They didn't add support for unlocked Pixels. Well, just HDVoice but not WiFi Calling. In order for it to work you'll need to just swap a AT&T sim into the unlocked Pixel from a device that already had WiFi calling working and it would enable it on the Pixel. That's how I got it to work on my Pixel 4.
    02-21-2020 05:58 PM
    They didn't add support for unlocked Pixels. Well, just HDVoice but not WiFi Calling. In order for it to work you'll need to just swap a AT&T sim into the unlocked Pixel from a device that already had WiFi calling working and it would enable it on the Pixel. That's how I got it to work on my Pixel 4.
    Interesting. I swap my at&t sim between a Note 10+ and Pixel 4 XL, the pixel has Wifi Calling, HD Voice, the Note doesn't have anything.
    02-21-2020 06:09 PM
    You should ask people over S10 and Note 10 forum. There's member using unlocked phone on At&t. I know on T-Mobile it worked 100%.
    02-21-2020 06:18 PM
    The rumor is that all carrier on the s20 will be compatible on the unlocked model with wifi calling. Now my experience as I have both Att and tmobile is that there is no HD calling with Att or wifi calling, so its uncertain if the s20 will break that but if you do go that route can always flash to the Att firmware to get everything but that's a decision you would have to make .
    02-21-2020 06:25 PM
    The rumor is that all carrier on the s20 will be compatible on the unlocked model with wifi calling. Now my experience as I have both Att and tmobile is that there is no HD calling with Att or wifi calling, so its uncertain if the s20 will break that but if you do go that route can always flash to the Att firmware to get everything but that's a decision you would have to make .
    How would one go about doing that? Is there a guide somewhere with step by step instructions?
    02-21-2020 08:01 PM
    How would one go about doing that? Is there a guide somewhere with step by step instructions?
    For flashing? I can guide you..
    02-21-2020 08:09 PM
    Interesting. I swap my at&t sim between a Note 10+ and Pixel 4 XL, the pixel has Wifi Calling, HD Voice, the Note doesn't have anything.
    So your Note 10+ is Unlocked and your Pixel 4XL is an AT&T model? Or both unlocked but you only get WiFi Calling and HDVoice on the Pixel. If the latter it's because your Note will still need AT&T firmware as well. Mustangs comment reminded me of that. Samsung uses a highly modified version of Android which are specific to carriers. Since the Pixel is basically stock Android all you really need to enable the services is a SIM with the features already provisioned on it.
    mustang7757 likes this.
    02-21-2020 08:11 PM
    For flashing? I can guide you..
    Great!

I will reach out to you if I can't get wifi calling when I receive my ultra
    mustang7757 likes this.
    02-21-2020 08:13 PM
    So your Note 10+ is Unlocked and your Pixel 4XL is an AT&T model?
    No, they are both unlocked. Just have gotten wifi calling on unlocked pixels since the 3XL.
    02-21-2020 08:20 PM
    No, they are both unlocked. Just have gotten wifi calling on unlocked pixels since the 3XL.
    Yeah I just updated my comment above with the explanation.
    02-21-2020 08:23 PM
    Since I get my devices from work and they are bought out right I just get the AT&T version and get it unlocked by AT&T.
    02-21-2020 08:27 PM
    Question those for folks who are on a payment plan. If you're on a Samsung payment plan for an AT&T version does AT&T still see the device as not paid off and will refuse to Unlock it? Or since you're not on a payment plan through AT&T they have no clue and will issue an unlock code for it.
    02-21-2020 08:35 PM
    Great!

I will reach out to you if I can't get wifi calling when I receive my ultra
    No problem !
    02-21-2020 08:41 PM
    No problem !
    Sent you a PM
    03-03-2020 02:45 PM
    Sent you a PM
    Sent you one back
    03-03-2020 03:29 PM
    unlocked s20 plus on at&t. no wifi calling and no duo dialer integration. actually, to clarify, duo is an option in the individual contacts, but it's not integrated into the home screen of the dialer like the carrier models
    03-04-2020 07:45 AM
    I can also confirm that the unlocked version of the S20 Ultra does not work with AT&T wifi calling even though spending hours on the phone with them. telling me that they have provisioned the phone to work on the network i could never get the option on the phone it self to turn it on. samsung were not helpful with the matter when asking if i could return the phone and buy the ATT version in its place.
    03-05-2020 07:39 AM
    I can also confirm that the unlocked version of the S20 Ultra does not work with AT&T wifi calling even though spending hours on the phone with them. telling me that they have provisioned the phone to work on the network i could never get the option on the phone it self to turn it on. samsung were not helpful with the matter when asking if i could return the phone and buy the ATT version in its place.
    yep same. i actually have two s20s, both pluses, one unlocked and one at&t. the at&t version happily asks to set up wifi calling (and visual voicemail) during the setup process and you're good to go within seconds. you provision your address info for 911, it changes the nav bar wifi logo to add some little stars around it and your gtg with an option in wifi settings to turn it on or off at your leisure

the unlocked version has none of this. no mention during setup, no option in settings, nothing. it simply does not exist. i also now suspect there's no VoLTE or HD voice either.

so...unlocked 5G S20: can hop from carrier to carrier at will, no bloatware
    at&t locked 5G: WiFi calling, VoLTE, HD Voice, bloatware that is easily removed

buyer beware...hoping this will change when the phone is "officially" released tomorrow, but not holding my breath
    03-05-2020 10:48 AM
    yep same. i actually have two s20s, both pluses, one unlocked and one at&t. the at&t version happily asks to set up wifi calling (and visual voicemail) during the setup process and you're good to go within seconds. you provision your address info for 911, it changes the nav bar wifi logo to add some little stars around it and your gtg with an option in wifi settings to turn it on or off at your leisure

the unlocked version has none of this. no mention during setup, no option in settings, nothing. it simply does not exist. i also now suspect there's no VoLTE or HD voice either.

so...unlocked 5G S20: can hop from carrier to carrier at will, no bloatware
    at&t locked 5G: WiFi calling, VoLTE, HD Voice, bloatware that is easily removed

buyer beware...hoping this will change when the phone is "officially" released tomorrow, but not holding my breath
    VoLTE appears to work for many people unlocked on At&t, wifi calling does not.
    03-05-2020 10:52 AM
    do you have a source for that? no option for that at all for me, either called VoLTE or Calling Plus. and all calls i place instantly show up as my dear old friend H+
    03-05-2020 11:00 AM
    unlocked s20 plus on at&t. no wifi calling and no duo dialer integration. actually, to clarify, duo is an option in the individual contacts, but it's not integrated into the home screen of the dialer like the carrier models
    I'm on Verizon with an unlocked S20+. VoLTE, wifi calling, HD voice, visual voicemail all work. Duo is integrated into the main dialer screen on my phone. FWIW for those also on Verizon.
    03-05-2020 11:11 AM
    do you have a source for that? no option for that at all for me, either called VoLTE or Calling Plus. and all calls i place instantly show up as my dear old friend H+
    The people in this thread got VoLTE working on their unlocked models on At&t.

https://forums.androidcentral.com/sa...ked-model.html
    03-05-2020 11:11 AM
26 12