Anyone else order the s20?

Mrsfwh3

Oct 18, 2018
Visit site
I opted for the s20, due to price. Am I the only one to get the s20, lol? Everyone seems to be talking about the Plus and Ultra!

ihtc

May 1, 2010
Visit site
I pre ordered the regular S20 but thinking o may cancel and get the plus only because I want the best but blue color and Best Buy offers $150 extra off (bill credits though :(

durandetto

Trusted Member
Dec 3, 2009
Visit site
On this forum you're definitely part of the minority. Mainly because a lot of us are coming from the note 10 or s10+. The regular s20 just isn't enough of an upgrade.

ihtc

May 1, 2010
Visit site
One can argue neither is the plus . Let’s be honest the ToF sensor doesn’t really do anything , tad extra battery eaten by larger display. MmWave 5g also useless (I am in nyc and saying this ). By the time that matters we will be onto our next phone . So really I guess anyone should be saying ultra or go home . Me personally no way I could carry that brick daily so either s20 or plus (for color) for me

Thegreatone3

Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
Regular S20 for me too. Coming from an S10 which I find to be the perfect sweet spot for size for me. Excited for 120Hz, 5G, and camera improvements.

KrisYYC

Nov 18, 2014
Visit site
S20 Cloud blue here. I prefer small form factor. We're a minority on this forum but I think in the general public we won't be.

GrumpyMomofMacR

Nov 7, 2016
Visit site
Going from a Note 10+ to a pink S20. Lol, I'm not leaving for the color. I absolutely love my Note 10+ and use it at home on Wifi. I carry two phones with me, an iPhone 11 Pro and a Pixel 2. I did used to carry large phones with me but changed from small backpacks I was using when I was doing more eldercare. I'm back to slimmer purses. I'm just wanting to go smaller and now I don't feel like going small is such a compromise with 3 good lenses and a 4000 mah battery. That was always a concern before.

Sure, the camera on the Ultra looks like it would be fun to play with. But I don't want to deal with that bulk.

The S20+ was tempting me only because it came in a 512 GB variant. Generous internal storage is interesting in light of 8k and good 4k video recording. But again, I don't want to try and wrestle a larger phone into and out of purses and pockets for awhile.

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
Let's address battery size a little. The battery is bigger because 5G uses more power, the 120 refresh will use more power, so I'm not expecting huge improvements for lifespan of battery, larger battery to me is mostly to compensate for the extra drains from above.

Size, go look at them. The ultra feels so much better in the hands then my note 10+. The phone is not as wide, makes a huge difference. Don't look at those screen size measurements and think it's a huge phone, it's not. It's a little taller then the note 10+, but not as wide, and that it where it matters to me. These phones aren't as big as you are thinking.

GrumpyMomofMacR

Nov 7, 2016
Visit site
Let's address battery size a little. The battery is bigger because 5G uses more power, the 120 refresh will use more power, so I'm not expecting huge improvements for lifespan of battery, larger battery to me is mostly to compensate for the extra drains from above.

Size, go look at them. The ultra feels so much better in the hands then my note 10+. The phone is not as wide, makes a huge difference. Don't look at those screen size measurements and think it's a huge phone, it's not. It's a little taller then the note 10+, but not as wide, and that it where it matters to me. These phones aren't as big as you are thinking.

True enough. But I don't have 5G at all anywhere around me. I don't know what impact that will have on my battery life but I did read one article that said the new modems are very efficient under 4G service, so I'm cautiously optimistic in that regard.

I can and will run the display at the lowest settings to max out battery life if I find I need to while traveling. Given that this phone is just a little bit larger than the S10, again, I think I can err on the side of optimism for the battery life if I am careful with my settings.

The S20+ and the Ultra are tall. I already own and struggle with the length of the Note 10+ trying to get it into the pockets/compartments of my smaller handbags. Last year, when I used small Vera Bradley and similar backpacks so that I could have my hands free to assist an elderly family member with limited mobility as we traveled, I could carry phones as large as I liked. My circumstances have sadly changed with their passing, and now I am taking a break from big bags and need to go smaller with my phones. I am now on an 11 Pro as my main phone. And seek an equally small secondary phone.

I own a Pixel 3XL and have owned the S10+ and an iPhone XS Max and my husband has owned a Huawei P30 pro along with other large phones. So I have a pretty good idea of the sizes and weights and what it is like to wrangle many different flagship models on a daily basis. In other words, I'm not just imagining experiences based off of spec sheets. I have a pretty good idea the Ultra would be a challenge for my current circumstances. I never rule out anything for my future, however.

I think for some people the Ultra will seem reasonably sized and the ideal all around. For those of us with different needs and priorities it's going to be more than we want to take on presently.

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
True enough. But I don't have 5G at all anywhere around me. I don't know what impact that will have on my battery life but I did read one article that said the new modems are very efficient under 4G service, so I'm cautiously optimistic in that regard.

I can and will run the display at the lowest settings to max out battery life if I find I need to while traveling. Given that this phone is just a little bit larger than the S10, again, I think I can err on the side of optimism for the battery life if I am careful with my settings.

The S20+ and the Ultra are tall. I already own and struggle with the length of the Note 10+ trying to get it into the pockets/compartments of my smaller handbags. Last year, when I used small Vera Bradley and similar backpacks so that I could have my hands free to assist an elderly family member with limited mobility as we traveled, I could carry phones as large as I liked. My circumstances have sadly changed with their passing, and now I am taking a break from big bags and need to go smaller with my phones. I am now on an 11 Pro as my main phone. And seek an equally small secondary phone.

I own a Pixel 3XL and have owned the S10+ and an iPhone XS Max and my husband has owned a Huawei P30 pro along with other large phones. So I have a pretty good idea of the sizes and weights and what it is like to wrangle many different flagship models on a daily basis. In other words, I'm not just imagining experiences based off of spec sheets. I have a pretty good idea the Ultra would be a challenge for my current circumstances. I never rule out anything for my future, however.

I think for some people the Ultra will seem reasonably sized and the ideal all around. For those of us with different needs and priorities it's going to be more than we want to take on presently.
Well I think that's what Samsung's goal is, to offer something for everyone's likes as best they can. Personally I don't think you will go wrong with any of them. I was just wanting to point out that they aren't as big as they sound, if you want smaller you will get that with the s20, it will be a big change from the 10 series IMO

Mrsfwh3

Oct 18, 2018
Visit site
I'm upgrading from a s10plus. I like having the latest and greatest, but I just couldn't pull the trigger on the Ultra. I may return the s20 for the plus model, but that would max out my budget for a phone this year.

hasasimo

May 3, 2014
Visit site
I ordered the regular S20. Much prefer the look and feel. Really had nothing to do with price. I'm just glad they're not charging more for the smaller phones than the big ones, as full-time one-handability has practically become a premium feature with 2020 flagships.

Most will be ordering the S20 and S20 Plus. This is a forum of enthusiasts that would be most interested in models like the Ultra, unlike regular flagship consumers.

DanielLoreti

Sep 20, 2018
Visit site
I had my mind made up on the Ultra ever since the leaks, but now I'm thinking of getting the Plus. I do prefer larger screens and the difference between the Plus and regular is more than the difference between the Plus and Ultra.

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
Exactly. Funny how our perspective has changed in just a year.
It comes down to getting a bigger screen with similar footprint of previous phones to me. Back with the note 5 for example,6.9 inch would be a monster phone and I would have run fast away from it, but the ultra isn't big to me and gives me big screen real estate. If I searched hard enough I would be able to find me saying I'd never get this big of a phone, and here I am getting one

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
It comes down to getting a bigger screen with similar footprint of previous phones to me. Back with the note 5 for example,6.9 inch would be a monster phone and I would have run fast away from it, but the ultra isn't big to me and gives me big screen real estate. If I searched hard enough I would be able to find me saying I'd never get this big of a phone, and here I am getting one
I actually returned Nexxus 6P partially because it was too big. That and the fact that it didn't support wifi calling on Verizon at the time. A year later I ended up with a V20 which was huge.

Mrsfwh3

Oct 18, 2018
Visit site
I had the Note 10plus- loved the real estate, but hated using it with my small hands. I had an iphone 11 Pro Max, pleased with the size and the camera! Gave that to my daughter. I have an s10plus currently and I love the size, but struggle with the camera. I dont want to get the Ultra and have the same small hands issue I had with the Note 10plus (even though I LOVED THE SCREEN!) If I feel the regular 20 is too small, I will move up to the plus. I need to play with each phone to see what works for me.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
itamargs