Does the S20 line come with RCS messaging???

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
I believe RCS is only supported through Google Messaging app... and they have activated it for anyone using the app regardless of carrier.
So you have to download and install Google Messaging. Playing with the demo Samsung is still using their own Messaging app.

I wanted to like the Google app and sent pics back and forth with a coworker and works well, but if you can't get all android users on board it's useless and everyone has their fav messaging app. I had to uninstall it because I was getting delayed texts using it on my Note 8 even after a factory reset for other reasons. Even if you get all Android users on board, still useless if Apple doesn't integrate it into iMessages.

PsychDoc

May 28, 2011
Visit site
Unless I'm mistaken imessage and rcs are independent, non-compatible systems. For Apple to adopt rcs, they would have to commit to it in lieu of imessage.

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
Exactly. That's why, in my opinion, it doesn't matter if all android users get on board. If Apple doesn't support it, it's useless. Carriers all around the world needed to change the standard so that Apple has no choice but to adopt it. Carriers don't care anymore because they lost the race in charging us 25 cents per text like they did in the old days. They should just abandon text messaging all-together like they have with paging... probably keeping it for data-mining lol.

Unless I'm mistaken imessage and rcs are independent, non-compatible systems. For Apple to adopt rcs, they would have to commit to it in lieu of imessage.

buzzy3970

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site
Useless for some but not all as my inner circle and those I communicate with consistently all have android.
I believe RCS is only supported through Google Messaging app... and they have activated it for anyone using the app regardless of carrier.
So you have to download and install Google Messaging. Playing with the demo Samsung is still using their own Messaging app.

I wanted to like the Google app and sent pics back and forth with a coworker and works well, but if you can't get all android users on board it's useless and everyone has their fav messaging app. I had to uninstall it because I was getting delayed texts using it on my Note 8 even after a factory reset for other reasons. Even if you get all Android users on board, still useless if Apple doesn't integrate it into iMessages.

j_hansen

Oct 16, 2012
Visit site
Depends on carrier as well, Samsung messages can use RCS but only if enabled by your carrier.
(at least that is how I understand it)
We have had it here for a long time

jhimmel

Jul 15, 2014
Visit site
Useless for some but not all as my inner circle and those I communicate with consistently all have android.
Same here. Eventually, most (Android) messaging clients will be RCS enabled. I don't really care what Apple does. If they want to ignore a widely used (eventually, maybe, someday) open standard and stick to their proprietary closed system, iPhone users will get txt's from me. No big deal. Sure doesn't make RCS useless to me. Horrid and confusing initial deployment though, no question about it.

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
Yeah, Textra had mentioned that they will be supporting RCS in their app... back in 2017. We'll see if they do in 2020. I doubt it.

Maybe Google will force any message app to be listed in their store to require RCS support. That would give Google the win over carriers. Because like I said, carriers won't enable it.

You realize that the carriers are trying to roll out their own RCS (CCMI) standard to block out Google from supporting it.

https://www.androidcentral.com/ccmi-faq-us-carriers-rcs-google

Same here. Eventually, most (Android) messaging clients will be RCS enabled. I don't really care what Apple does. If they want to ignore a widely used (eventually, maybe, someday) open standard and stick to their proprietary closed system, iPhone users will get txt's from me. No big deal. Sure doesn't make RCS useless to me. Horrid and confusing initial deployment though, no question about it.

KrisYYC

Nov 18, 2014
Visit site
I assume it would be as long as your carrier supports it. I'm getting RCS messaging to my friends with S9's and S10's using the stock Samsung messaging app on the Rogers network here in Canada.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
My only worry with this is the fact that Google is quick to kill off apps fast. Maybe this is the final nail in the coffin? If it doesn't take off now, they may kill duo?
Yeah....I'm aware of that, but for Samsung to integrate into the dialer is a pretty bold move. We will see where it goes.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
My only worry with this is the fact that Google is quick to kill off apps fast. Maybe this is the final nail in the coffin? If it doesn't take off now, they may kill duo?

With Duo integrated into Smart Displays and now becoming the default video chat service for some Android phones, I don't see Duo going away in the next year.

williams448

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Yeah....I'm aware of that, but for Samsung to integrate into the dialer is a pretty bold move. We will see where it goes.

Having Duo built in is huge for me because my family uses Duo all the time across all platforms.

My only concern is the carriers screwing it up with their own video chat apps. Our At&t phones have At&t Video Chat built in to the dialer, but we have never enabled it because of Duo & the fact that At&t phones were the only ones compatible.

I'm gonna be one pissed off customer if my GS20U has At&t Video chat & not Duo built in to the dialer.

dew066

Jan 28, 2016
Visit site
I have a Telus S10 plus and have no RCS messaging. I have looked at the settings and it won't let me activate it. I am still waiting for Telus to activate RCS....unfortunately

HOLLYWOODANT215

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
Duo isn't going anywhere... It's the top video app, every Android phone has it by default... And I know alot of iPhone ppl will has it downloaded...

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech