Review Thread

indianajonze

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
i'll just say this. having used all 3 for a bit now, i have come away with the following conclusions:
1. there is little place for the stock s20. unless you're hell bent on the small form factor, it's outclassed by the others in every way
2. the ultra is too big. i know the dimensions don't really portray it, but carry it around in your pocket and try to use it every day and you notice just how unweildy it really is. also, over time you start to notice the weight difference and it's annoyingg. finally, i'll come right out and say it...you're buying this specifically for 100x zoom capability. if you want that and can make use of it, go for it. otherwise, ppl (and reviewers) will begin to notice in due time that the s20 plus actually has the better overall camera rear system...
3. s20 plus is where all the attention should be. i understand why it's not (100x ZOOM!! WOW!!!), but it should be. perfect form factor, best screen to size ratio of any phone in history (true statement, look it up), better pixel density, better overall camera system (come back here in 30-60 days), lower price. when the dust settles over the ultra hysteria, this is the conclusion everyone will have. trust me :)

hasasimo

May 3, 2014
Visit site
It's not as wide as the note 10+, that right there will make it easier for one handed use. I use my phone under handed only and the wider note 10+ makes one handed harder. I went and looked at them.. It's easier to one hand use it then the note.

There's smaller versions for a reason... Get the size that fits you

But it's thicker than the Note10+, which puts it right back in difficult to hold territory. It's taller, which won't be an issue all of the time, but inevitably there will be times during your day where you need to reach for the top of the display.

In person, I found both the Note10+ and S10 Ultra unwieldy for one-handed use... saying one is more difficult for me might be nitpicky, but if I had to choose one as feeling worse in the hand (i.e. larger), it's the S10 Ultra.

The numbers back it up too. If you disregard height and only take into consideration width and thickness, here's how the two stack up compared to other popular flagships (millimeters squared):

Note 9: 672.32
S20 Ultra: 668.8
OP 7 Pro: 667.92
Note 8: 643.28
11 Pro Max: 630.18
S9 Plus: 627.3
Pixel 4 XL: 615.82
OnePlus 6T: 613.36
S10 5G: 612.174
Note10 Plus: 609.88
OnePlus 7T: 605.197

If you do factor in height (logically), the S20 Ultra dwarfs the competition in overall volume (millimeters):

S20 Ultra: 111,689.6
Note 9: 108,848.608
OP 7 Pro: 108,603.792
Note 8: 104,533.0
11 Pro Max: 99,568.44
S10 5G: 99,539.4924
S9 Plus: 99,176.13
Note10 Plus: 98,983.524
Pixel 4 XL: 98,777.528
OnePlus 7T: 97,400.437

And all this doesn't even take it's weight into consideration, which also dwarfs the competition. Of course there are different sizes for a reason, as you said, but it's worth talking about when a phone breaks a company's previous flagship size/weight record.

RedMage36

Aug 30, 2018
Visit site
Can someone please tell me the name of the calendar app/widget on the first picture below the video on the android central thread? I have been wondering for over a year now because Ive seen it in other videos but I don't know the name. Thank you!

Borgie

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
i'll just say this. having used all 3 for a bit now, i have come away with the following conclusions:
1. there is little place for the stock s20. unless you're hell bent on the small form factor, it's outclassed by the others in every way
2. the ultra is too big. i know the dimensions don't really portray it, but carry it around in your pocket and try to use it every day and you notice just how unweildy it really is. also, over time you start to notice the weight difference and it's annoyingg. finally, i'll come right out and say it...you're buying this specifically for 100x zoom capability. if you want that and can make use of it, go for it. otherwise, ppl (and reviewers) will begin to notice in due time that the s20 plus actually has the better overall camera rear system...
3. s20 plus is where all the attention should be. i understand why it's not (100x ZOOM!! WOW!!!), but it should be. perfect form factor, best screen to size ratio of any phone in history (true statement, look it up), better pixel density, better overall camera system (come back here in 30-60 days), lower price. when the dust settles over the ultra hysteria, this is the conclusion everyone will have. trust me :)

Because everyone is you? LOL No, I am not getting it for the 100x zoom. i've seen the samples and its not great. I am getting it for the optical zoom capabilities, which are greater than the plus.

indianajonze

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
Because everyone is you? LOL No, I am not getting it for the 100x zoom. i've seen the samples and its not great. I am getting it for the optical zoom capabilities, which are greater than the plus.

no one is me but me. it's a forum and this is my opinion after many hours of usage. ultra is great. s20 is great. s20 plus is perfect

hasasimo

May 3, 2014
Visit site
Why are they mad? I'm unable to watch the video right now.

She makes fun of the size and weight big time lol. I don't blame her. Her camera analysis does seem a bit strange though. She thinks Google and Apple do better with edge detection, which in the iPhone's case is very inaccurate. I know, because I have an iPhone 11 Pro and an S10. So unless edge detection is actually worse on the S20 than the S10, there's no way that's right.

She just seems to generally have an odd bias against the phone, talking down on obvious technological advancements. Only thing I really agreed with her on is the size.

RedMage36

Aug 30, 2018
Visit site
The Bad
In-display fingerprint sensor is slow and often finicky
Will be too big and heavy for some
Battery suffers badly with 120Hz enabled
Extremely expensive, but still has shortcomings
No headphone jack

All this and it still got the recommended seal by Android Central lol. Nothing keeps Samsung down! YEAH!!! lol

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
But it's thicker than the Note10+, which puts it right back in difficult to hold territory. It's taller, which won't be an issue all of the time, but inevitably there will be times during your day where you need to reach for the top of the display.

In person, I found both the Note10+ and S10 Ultra unwieldy for one-handed use... saying one is more difficult for me might be nitpicky, but if I had to choose one as feeling worse in the hand (i.e. larger), it's the S10 Ultra.

The numbers back it up too. If you disregard height and only take into consideration width and thickness, here's how the two stack up compared to other popular flagships (millimeters squared):

Note 9: 672.32
S20 Ultra: 668.8
OP 7 Pro: 667.92
Note 8: 643.28
11 Pro Max: 630.18
S9 Plus: 627.3
Pixel 4 XL: 615.82
OnePlus 6T: 613.36
S10 5G: 612.174
Note10 Plus: 609.88
OnePlus 7T: 605.197

If you do factor in height (logically), the S20 Ultra dwarfs the competition in overall volume (millimeters):

S20 Ultra: 111,689.6
Note 9: 108,848.608
OP 7 Pro: 108,603.792
Note 8: 104,533.0
11 Pro Max: 99,568.44
S10 5G: 99,539.4924
S9 Plus: 99,176.13
Note10 Plus: 98,983.524
Pixel 4 XL: 98,777.528
OnePlus 7T: 97,400.437

And all this doesn't even take it's weight into consideration, which also dwarfs the competition. Of course there are different sizes for a reason, as you said, but it's worth talking about when a phone breaks a company's previous flagship size/weight record.
I've always said for people go look at them and not go by the measurements. The ultra is smaller where it matters for one handed users, not as wide. As far as being taller then the note 10+, won't matter imo. Anything on top of screen that would require both hands on the ultra would also require both hands on the note 10+, so being taller isn't a huge deal in that regard.

I use edge gestures, I can bring the notification bar and setting shortcuts down on any page I'm on by swiping down on the edge. So more narrow is a huge plus.

Borgie

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
by everyone i meant the reviewers. we'll see. anyway who cares. it's a review thread, that's my 20 second review. don't like it? find another review and like that one.

Opinions are great, but doesn't mean they are correct. For instance, the opinion (actually you stated it as the gospel truth) that if i'm getting the ultra its because of the 100X zoom.

hasasimo

May 3, 2014
Visit site

The Tech Chap's review... pretty balanced overall. Does note that the size/weight is a turn off, and actually recommends the S20 or S20 Plus instead, but he likes the Ultra overall and gives it a recommendation. He was also responsible enough not to give the camera a final verdict given that there is a major camera firmware update on the way.

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iol4iBhGcSE

The Tech Chap's review... pretty balanced overall. Does note that the size/weight is a turn off, and actually recommends the S20 or S20 Plus instead, but he likes the Ultra overall and gives it a recommendation. He was also responsible enough not to give the camera a final verdict given that there is a major camera firmware update on the way.
What works for one doesn't work for another. Just because this guy recommends S20/20+ doesn't mean anything. I've seen countless reviews over the years bashing something and they were wrong. Anyone getting a bigger phone knows what they are getting.

People want better camera, more features, bigger batteries, this all comes at a cost of size.

RedMage36

Aug 30, 2018
Visit site
Opinions are great, but doesn't mean they are correct. For instance, the opinion (actually you stated it as the gospel truth) that if i'm getting the ultra its because of the 100X zoom.

that's ok, you will be back in 6 months complaining about this phone like you've done with all the others in your previous threads.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
muejnkfabet