Samsung working on camera fix

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site

RaRa85

Oct 13, 2014
Visit site
I hope all models benefit from this update since all the reviewers have zoomed in, pun intended, on the S20 Ultra so much. The average consumer will fall into the S20 and Plus camp yet you can't find any coverage on these phones that drop next Friday.

I Can Be Your Hero

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
Well I hope it improves it a lot...because form what I've seen online and in person, it's somewhat underwhelming.

Enough for me to reconsider purchasing it.

RaRa85

Oct 13, 2014
Visit site
Well I hope it improves it a lot...because form what I've seen online and in person, it's somewhat underwhelming.

Enough for me to reconsider purchasing it.
The camera is already a beast man. What have you been seeing? A few updates will make it mind blowing. 4-10x zoom is clutch in all lighting conditions too.

jtcannonball

Trusted Member
Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
The camera is already a beast man. What have you been seeing? A few updates will make it mind blowing. 4-10x zoom is clutch in all lighting conditions too.

Did you read the reviews and the article that was linked? They mention how you don’t know what you’re getting, could be a great photo or a crap shot. Photo range is anywhere from highest of highs to the basement. It’s not consistent, soft details and bad autofocus. Those issues are what they are addressing. Quite a few reviewers mentioned how they took a ton of photos to get the ones you and others think are amazing. So if they can add a higher frequency of successful quality shots than that’s a win.

RaRa85

Oct 13, 2014
Visit site
Did you read the reviews and the article that was linked? They mention how you don’t know what you’re getting, could be a great photo or a crap shot. Photo range is anywhere from highest of highs to the basement. It’s not consistent, soft details and bad autofocus. Those issues are what they are addressing. Quite a few reviewers mentioned how they took a ton of photos to get the ones you and others think are amazing. So if they can add a higher frequency of successful quality shots than that’s a win.
I'm basing my opinions from the reviews I've seen from SuperSaf and a few others and at most they mentioned autofocus issues and some tendencies to blow out highlights and raise shadows etc. These are early annoyances that will be fixed especially since the phone isn't even in the hands of consumers yet.

I Can Be Your Hero

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site

Not really a fan. Thought the iPhone 11/Pixel 4 took better photos in those comparisons.

Just don't like how Samsung handles skin. Too much smoothing, over exposed and just looks artificial to me. She looked like a plastic doll whereas looked like a human on the iP11/P4XL there. Also tends to oversharpen, which can be a double-edged sword. It can make things look more clear, but can also make things look too sharp and splotchy.

I've been a Pixel user in the past (currently on Galaxy S10+) so maybe I'm just too used to how the Pixel took photos and I prefer that style. While I like my S10+, the camera I do feel was better on the Pixel. Unfortunately, from what I've seen, I don't think the S20U is much better.

buzzy3970

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site
I'm glad I don't buy phones based on reviewers. If I did I'd probably only have iPhones and that's a sad sad life...

ThrottleJohnny

Trusted Member
Apr 1, 2014
Visit site
Not really a fan. Thought the iPhone 11/Pixel 4 took better photos in those comparisons.

Just don't like how Samsung handles skin. Too much smoothing, over exposed and just looks artificial to me. She looked like a plastic doll whereas looked like a human on the iP11/P4XL there. Also tends to oversharpen, which can be a double-edged sword. It can make things look more clear, but can also make things look too sharp and splotchy.

I've been a Pixel user in the past (currently on Galaxy S10+) so maybe I'm just too used to how the Pixel took photos and I prefer that style. While I like my S10+, the camera I do feel was better on the Pixel. Unfortunately, from what I've seen, I don't think the S20U is much better.

Different strokes. Pixel photos make everyone look 15 years older than they are.

I Can Be Your Hero

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
Different strokes. Pixel photos make everyone look 15 years older than they are.

I've never heard that before - that the Pixel ages people. But I do like the Pixel camera more than my S10+ and from what I've seen on the S20 Ultra as well. More true to life colours/not oversaturated, more depth/contrast, no aggressive skin smoothing (unless you turn it on), and no aggressive sharpening. I prefer that look.

Also I've found the Galaxy might take a couple shots from me to get one that looks good, whereas the Pixel was typically one shot and it was very consistent. Also moving objects, the shutter speed on the S10+ seems to be a touch slow and results in the moving object being blurry.

Still a good, versatile camera, but I do think the Pixel camera is better when it just gives down to image quality. Hence why I'll wait for the Note 20/iPhone 11S/Pixel 5. Hoping the Note 20 has a different direction for camera software processing.

ThrottleJohnny

Trusted Member
Apr 1, 2014
Visit site
For my money, the iPhone 11 takes the overall best photos right now. I'd take Samsung/Huawei next. Pixel would be next. Pixel over sharpens and the software basically creates what it thinks you look like. Some people like that. For me it doesn't feel like a real photos but a robotic creation.

Therefore what I often got with my Pixel 3 was faces that looked old and details like a sky or street lights blown out.

Of course no camera is perfect and neither is Samsung. Every camera is capable of great shots and throwaways. Which is why, although the camera is a important feature, I don't completely buy into the smartphone camera hype.

Last edited:

I Can Be Your Hero

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
For my money, the iPhone 11 takes the overall best photos right now. I'd take Samsung/Huawei next. Pixel would be next. Pixel over sharpens and the software basically creates what it thinks you look like. Some people like that. For me it doesn't feel like a real photos but a robotic creation.

Therefore what I often got with my Pixel 3 was faces that looked old and details like a sky or street lights blown out.

Of course no camera is perfect and neither is Samsung. Every camera is capable of great shots and throwaways. Which is why, although the camera is a important feature, I don't completely buy into the smartphone camera hype.

Pixel oversharpens but Samsung doesn't?? Huh?

Oversharpening is one of the main characteristics (and criticisms) of Samsung's cameras.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae