Coronavirus Crushing S20 Launch - Sales Down 50%

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
Yeah... 50% less than S10 on launch day??

I’ll say it, I would guess it is the PRICE that is the main contributor to the sales decline than the virus taking into account the number of cases at launch day. Like the article said it shouldn’t have effected people able to order online.

I understand everyone will be using the virus to justify low sales when they report earnings but I think in this case I think Samsung has really priced itself out of the market with the S20 pricing. Apple has said they probably won’t meet their quarterly guidance with the virus too... but I believe it due to supply issue. I’m guessing even if Samsung still don’t have the supply, they will still have plenty in stock.

I said elsewhere, I can’t believe I used Apple as the bargain phone but if you want a flagship, then Apple is it. We aren’t even talking about their “base” 11... we are talking their 11 Pro with their triple camera setup at $999. The larger Max Pro at $1099!

It’s a win for us... a few years ago Samsung use to release models at iPhone prices and discount almost immediately. Last few gens they’ve maintained retail prices but added lots of incentives like ear buds and wireless chargers etc. Maybe we will be seeing some major discount with the S20.

They set a new price point with their flagship models... I don’t think they can go cheaper in future gens. Maybe they don’t care... recent article seems to show their top seller is the A series (?) I think they sell in Asia for a couple of hundred bucks??

Last edited:

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
https://bgr.com/2020/02/28/galaxy-s20-vs-galaxy-s10-sales-coronavirus-impact/

I'll bet that some of that downturn is also related to price.
We have no real way of determining what factors affect the numbers by percentages. Some of it can be blamed on the Coronavirus. Price can be a deterrent for others. The harsh reality is that the numbers have been dropping all along because the market is pretty saturated and many are holding onto their devices longer as prices have trended upward. The S series has the added complication that it has direct competition with the Note. The S series may get a boost as some get their tax refunds and as real reviews come out.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Yeah... 50% less than S10 on launch day??

I’ll say it, I would guess it is the PRICE that is the main contributor to the sales decline than the virus taking into account the number of cases at launch day. Like the article said it shouldn’t have effected people able to order online.

I understand everyone will be using the virus to justify low sales when they report earnings but I think in this case I think Samsung has really priced itself out of the market with the S20 pricing. Apple has said they probably won’t meet their quarterly guidance with the virus too... but I believe it due to supply issue. I’m guessing even if Samsung still don’t have the supply, they will still have plenty I stock.

I said elsewhere, I can’t believe I used Apple as the bargain phone but if you want a flagship, then Apple is it. We aren’t even talking about their “base” 11... we are talking their 11 Pro with their triple camera setup at $999. The larger Max Pro at $1099!

It’s a win for us... a few years ago Samsung use to release models at iPhone prices and discount almost immediately. Last few gens they’ve maintained retail prices but added lots of incentives like ear buds and wireless chargers etc. Maybe we will be seeing some major discount with the S20.

They set a new price point with their flagship models... I don’t think they can go cheaper in future gens. Maybe they don’t care... recent article seems to show their top seller is the A series (?) I think they sell in Asia for a couple of hundred bucks??
I don't think last years flagships were a bargain unless you want to throw the lesser S10 or S10e into the mix.
To be fair current models offer features the S10 series didn't. If we look at the original release prices of S10+, the 128GB model was 999.00. The higher capacity ceramic models were 1249.00 for the 512GB model and 1599.00 for the 1TB model.

SupraLB

Oct 28, 2015
Visit site
BGR is nothing but a clickbait bot site these days. Feel free to click on all their sponsored Amazon links though.

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
Yeah we are now reaching prices that were reserved for their special models like the ceramic are now the base for the plus models... Smh.

We've exceeded Note 10 pricing too right or at it. I hate to imagine how much the Note 20 is going to go for??

I don't think last years flagships were a bargain unless you want to throw the lesser S10 or S10e into the mix.
To be fair current models offer features the S10 series didn't. If we look at the original release prices of S10+, the 128GB model was 999.00. The higher capacity ceramic models were 1249.00 for the 512GB model and 1599.00 for the 1TB model.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Yeah we are now reaching prices that were reserved for their special models like the ceramic are now the base for the plus models... Smh.

The Galaxy S10e, S10 and S10+ launch prices started at $749, $899 and $999,while the S10 5G's launch price was $1299.

The special models like the Ceramic are in line with the Ultra base prices, not the plus models. I the biggest hike is at the base model S20 which is 999.00 but it's not a direct comparison to an S10e.

PretzelLogic

Apr 2, 2015
Visit site
My iPhone XS Max two years ago was $1199. Same price as the S20+ I am about to buy, and the S20+ is in my opinion a superior device. Plus there's a $150 Samsung credit usable on the Samsung store, so maybe there'll be something good to get there like a case or ear buds. Okay the pricing on the Ultra is pretty high, but I mean they named it the Ultra, so...

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site

We've exceeded Note 10 pricing too right or at it. I hate to imagine how much the Note 20 is going to go for??
As long as they have good trade in prices to offset those high prices , also I think in my opinion with option to financing slowly overtime available through carrier or Samsung I dont see prices going down anytime soon.

bembol

Trusted Member
Jun 18, 2011
Visit site
I think it's 60/40 with price being more of an issue.

Sure it's marketing but at least Samsung gives us pre-order bonuses and trade-in credits.

Because I'm saving $350 CAN here in the Philippines my Ultra will be basically cost me the same as my Note 10 Plus.

UseAndroid86

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
I don't think phones are overpriced at all. With the amount of tech they fit into a small foot print and as much research that they put into new tech it's amazing that they can keep the price down to what it is. I mean if anything's overpriced, I would say computers are...

L0n3N1nja

Jan 11, 2014
Visit site
I bet a lot of it is price, those with the 10 series don't see enough reason to upgrade and those with older phones would be tempted by the S10 price drops.

shook187

Feb 14, 2011
Visit site
I'm going to hold off on ordering... The trade in offers and Samsung credit isn't enough to get me to pay 1k for the smaller variant.

dendron01

Banned
Aug 8, 2019
Visit site
As long as they have good trade in prices to offset those high prices , also I think in my opinion with option to financing slowly overtime available through carrier or Samsung I dont see prices going down anytime soon.
Which is why people will just not upgrade as often. Notwithstanding the price, incentives, etc - the differences between this year's and last year's model isn't sufficient to justify the expenditure. Why should any of us waste our time and money on an "upgrade" for an almost imperceptible improvement in features and performance?

Elky64

Dec 24, 2019
Visit site
I don't think phones are overpriced at all. With the amount of tech they fit into a small foot print and as much research that they put into new tech it's amazing that they can keep the price down to what it is. I mean if anything's overpriced, I would say computers are...

And your phone will receive 10+ years worth of support too right and likely be viable for 15?

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Here in Washington state, they announced state of emergency because of the first US death related to corona virus. Let's see how this escalates over the next few days.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindagibney